Panasonic TC-P60ST60 - Can't use ARC without receiver turning off every time... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently upgraded my system with a new TV - the Panasonic TC-P60ST60 - and a new receiver - the Pioneer VSX-1123K. I'm very happy with the performance of both, but am struggling with the ARC feature. I'd like to use the access to Netflix and other streaming services which are built-in to the Panasonic TV. To do that, and get the audio from those apps to play through my speakers, I need to use the Audio Return Channel to send audio back through the HDMI input from my receiver. This works great - my Pioneer gets the signal, switches to the TV input and all is beautiful in Home Theater land.

The problem is, for that to work I must allow the receiver to be controlled by HDMI. If I disable that, ARC no longer works. With that enabled, every time the TV turns on, it sends a power toggle signal to the receiver, which is already on, and that turns it off. Since I use a Harmony 600 remote to turn everything on, the receiver turns on, then the TV, then the receiver turns off. I hit the Help button on the remote, which turns the receiver back on.

So yes, that works, but it's more than a pain, and my family is not crazy about those steps just to watch TV, not to mention how much I may be shortening the life of my receiver by turning it on and off twice every time... Is there anything I can do to remedy this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 03:16 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by eappell View Post

The problem is, for that to work I must allow the receiver to be controlled by HDMI. If I disable that, ARC no longer works. With that enabled, every time the TV turns on, it sends a power toggle signal to the receiver, which is already on, and that turns it off. Since I use a Harmony 600 remote to turn everything on, the receiver turns on, then the TV, then the receiver turns off. I hit the Help button on the remote, which turns the receiver back on.

Try going into your TV menu, go to setup, then Viera Link Settings and try turning the "power off link" to "no".
post #3 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierdaddie View Post

Try going into your TV menu, go to setup, then Viera Link Settings and try turning the "power off link" to "no".
That's how I've got it set now. Both power on and power off are set to "No", but it still turns the receiver off when the TV comes on.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-01-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:

That's how I've got it set now. Both power on and power off are set to "No", but it still turns the receiver off when the TV comes on.

Have you tried turning off the HDMI control on your receiver also? It could also be that the receiver is sensing DC pulses when the TV starts up and protects itself by shutting down. If that's the case you will need to have your TV turn on first, receiver second. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but, I'm pretty sure that's what will have to be done.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-02-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierdaddie View Post

Have you tried turning off the HDMI control on your receiver also? It could also be that the receiver is sensing DC pulses when the TV starts up and protects itself by shutting down. If that's the case you will need to have your TV turn on first, receiver second. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but, I'm pretty sure that's what will have to be done.
Yes, I have tried turning off the HDMI control on the receiver, and when I do that it stays on when I turn everything on. But then ARC doesn't work any more. I really want to use ARC...
post #6 of 9 Old 09-05-2013, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

So I guess the answer is, if you use a Pioneer receiver and a Panasonic TV, you can't use ARC without causing power off issues with your receiver. I would think there would be a lot of people with this configuration, but I haven't found anyone who knows how to get this to work...

Any suggestions of other forums I could post to where I might find more experience with these specific components?
post #7 of 9 Old 09-05-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Try the Pioneer receiver section. I have an Onkyo receiver and ARC works perfectly with my Panasonic Plasma.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #8 of 9 Old 02-10-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:

I recently upgraded my system with a new TV - the Panasonic TC-P60ST60 - and a new receiver - the Pioneer VSX-1123K. I'm very happy with the performance of both, but am struggling with the ARC feature. I'd like to use the access to Netflix and other streaming services which are built-in to the Panasonic TV. To do that, and get the audio from those apps to play through my speakers, I need to use the Audio Return Channel to send audio back through the HDMI input from my receiver. This works great - my Pioneer gets the signal, switches to the TV input and all is beautiful in Home Theater land.

So yes, that works, but it's more than a pain, and my family is not crazy about those steps just to watch TV, not to mention how much I may be shortening the life of my receiver by turning it on and off twice every time... Is there anything I can do to remedy this situation?

Hi.. maybe you can offer me some advice.  I'd like to do the same thing you describe... send the Netflix, etc. audio to my Sony receiver via HDMI.  (And this works via optical, but only 2 chan.)  Via HDMI, I do not get any signal.  On p 44. of the manual it describes "Digital Audio Out selection".  Using the on-screen menu, I have never seen anything for this... do you know where to find this control, or if it actually does exists.

Thanks JAS

post #9 of 9 Old Today, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have the exact same problem, using a Panasonic 50GT60 and a Pioneer VSX-S510. I think the reason this is not working correctly, is that there's no way to enable ARC without enabling hdmi control too. The only way to 'fix' this, is by turning on the tv with one remote and then turn on the receiver a few seconds later. Then it seems to work fine. Problem is I'm using a Harmony remote and even when setting a power-on delay (which doesn't seem to do anything) it still has a problem where the tv turns on, then very quickly after that the receiver and then somehow the tv sends a 'turn off' signal to the receiver. I have ARC turned OFF now which annoys me a lot because that was the only way to get netflix playing through my receiver. Guess Pioneer+Pana is a no go?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60st60 by PriceGrabber.com