Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-01-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We have a 55" GT 30 in the bedroom.

Never had a single problem with it and its pretty decent compared to our VT30 65" we have in the family room.

We had an Apple TV connected to it, a Dune HD, and a DTV box. Very cluttered and my wife was not crazy about the bezel size because where our shelves are mounted we could use an extra inch or so of space.

Decided to sell the GT30 and bought a Samsung 55" 3650 from Costco. PQ was never a huge deal to us in the bedroom since a lot of it was Netflix or MP4's off of a media server which we used the Dune HD for.

The Samsung eliminated all the extra boxes. The built in DNLA server and Netflix would replace the Apple TV and Dune HD.

I just cannot get used to the PQ and motion of the LED. Netflix is no where near the quality of the Apple TV and the DLNA client is kind of a pain to use. Plex worked much better but the Dune HD did a much better job of taking so-so quality content and making it look good. Everything looks worse using the Samsung apps.

I thought about it, for the cost difference between selling my GT30 and buying the Samsung I could have just bought another Oppo 103 and been done with it, yes its an extra box but it looks decent and does everything I want it to do at the quality I want it to.

So the Samsung is going to go back. But the wife likes how it looked on the wall compared to the GT30.

Now I'm looking for an inexpensive 55" plasma with a smaller bezel. I heard the newest gens basically move you up one from previous, the new ST is as good as the last gen GT, the GT is like the last VT, etc. Is that true, I could look for a cheaper ST and be on par with what we have now?

Almost always dimly lit viewing, no direct light.

How is VieraView? Is the DLNA and Netflix client decent? I might buy a non-smart version and just pick up another Oppo 103. Our other issue was a bunch of remotes. The Dune has no programming for the Harmony touch so we always had to keep that around, a problem I would not have with the Oppo.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-01-2013, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 137
The ST60 has better picture quality than your VT30. Depending on your budget you can get a 65" and put it in your family room instead and the VT30 in the bedroom. If its too big than getting a 55" ST60 with a Oppo 103 would be a good investment. You could even get the cheaper S60 with an Oppo 103 and you'll be good too.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P50gt30 50 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65gt30 65 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page