Looking at new plasma tv and need some basic info. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello, newbie here thanks for having me.

My old plasma took a dirt nap after 11 years
it was a
Philips 42FD9954/17
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=en&scy=us&ctn=42FD9954/17

it had 1920x1810/60i
and was a mighty costly tv when I bought it in 2002-3

My question is I'm looking at the Panasonic 50" models
tc-p50s60 and the tc-p50st60
it'll never see gaming so input lag that I read was an issue on the"ST" shouldn't be an issue for me.
What I'm looking for info on is other than the ST having 3d and more smart apps

how would the 50s60 picture compare to the old Philips 42" that was fairly good in 2002

We where happy with the old plasma's picture and the "s" model id 650.00 and the "st" is 1000.00
I've read that the "s" model has issues with "bright rooms" what exactly do they consider a bright room?

is the "st" so much better than the "s" that I'll even notice?
having a hard time finding a store with both set up..
I found one, store , now I have to see if they'll put them side by side..

I'd think that the "s" model would be light years ahead of my Philips. but Want to be sure.
the more I've read the more confused I get..
Thanks for any insight on this.
just having a hard time with the "s" price as the last time I bought a tv the optional control/input/pixel plus box was more than this model tv..

sorry if it's a basic question.. Finally got to this room and unboxed my B&K avr507 and got it all set up and the Philips goes and dies..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Pany tiers are roughly:

S - Tier 1
ST - Tier 2
GT - Tier 3
VT - Tier 4
ZT - Tier 5 on par with the Pio "Kuro"

The higher the tier the better color calibration "out of the box". Plasma thankfully have "trickle" down tech -- Each year the "high end" becomes more affordable and "moves" down one tier.

The "best" option is to see the panels in person and "normalize" the settings. Ideally there would be an S and ST side by side so you can see the differences. Failing that, google for tc-p50s60 vs tc-p50st60 and see if you can find any professional calibrators thoughts.

i.e. http://reviews.*******************.com/panasonic-plasma-tv/panasonic-tcp55s60-vs-tcp55st60.html

"Know Thyself" - The Beginning of ALL Wisdom
I've shipped games on DS, PC, PS1, PS2, Wii, and helped numerous companies with PS3 game dev support. Ask me anything about game programming, game design, graphics, or color.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 05:03 PM

Missing in the tiers are:

* X
* UT

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/viera-televisions-plasma

Anyone know where these roughly fit in?

Also see threads:

* Older Panasonic VT25 vs newer S64 (S60) - compared @ home
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1489737/older-panasonic-vt25-vs-newer-s64-s60-compared-home

* A bit frustrated...65S64 vs. ST60
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1490155/a-bit-frustrated-65s64-vs-st60

Edit: Added official pany link for current models

I've shipped games on DS, PC, PS1, PS2, Wii, and helped numerous companies with PS3 game dev support. Ask me anything about game programming, game design, graphics, or color.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 11:29 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post

....I'm looking at the Panasonic 50" models tc-p50s60 and the tc-p50st60

how would the 50s60 picture compare to the old Philips 42" that was fairly good in 2002? I'd think that the "s" model would be light years ahead of my Philips. but Want to be sure.

The S60 picture quality is massively better than even the best 2002 Plasmas. And the ST60 is even better still.

Quote:
I've read that the "s" model has issues with "bright rooms" what exactly do they consider a bright room?

Direct sunlight beaming directly into the room and illuminating walls and furniture (like my west-facing man-room) makes a room "too bright". The S60 has no Anti-Reflective Filter and is more reflective than the ST60, and is more mirror-like when watching darker content. The ST60's AR Filter definitely helps, but it's not a huge improvement. But indirect sunlight (like from the north-facing windows in our den) isn't a problem - and the 2013 models are pretty bright and punch through ambient light really well. So it depends on what kind of light you have in the room, where it's coming from, how intense it is, and if you're watching bright sports programming or dark movies. If a room is overly bright, no TV will handle it well and it just isn't a good viewing environment anyway. Solar shades work wonders in my man-room, and i still can see outside (i hate closing the blinds).

Quote:
is the "st" so much better than the "s" that I'll even notice? having a hard time finding a store with both set up.. I found one store, now I have to see if they'll put them side by side..

If you were to put them side by side in your home, properly set up and using a good source, you'd definitely see the ST60 has better picture quality (it has a better panel, better processing, a better black filter, it's brighter, has better blacks, and is less reflective, etc). But in a bright store environment with the store's feed as a source neither TV will look that great, and aside from maybe comparing overall brightness and reflectivity the ST60's advantages will be lost.

Another option is the 50" S64 series at Costco - it's the exact same TV as the S60 but has the same AR Filter that comes on the ST60. See the S60 thread for S64 info.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5 of 6 Old 09-12-2013, 01:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks everyone,
I was having no issues with getting the tc-p50st60 as I looked at that and I looked at the Samsung 8500 but that was 1599.00 last week and now 1899.00 now. and really the rwiews of it where not a ton better,other than the processer (4 core) that help mostly when gaming, and I'll not be doing that, that gets done on a oldschool zenith 27" tube tv
paying 1600 for a tv I was ready for as the old plasma that died was almost 6000.00 retail, I paid 4200 as it was a scratch and dent unit(scratch was on the back left side edge and top back at the cases curve, not an issue when it's hanging on the wall above a 4" fireplace mantel...
after looking at the t.v.s at pauls tv/bestbuy/sears and coming home and the wife asking if I found anything. I said yes. and the next day after work brought her to a store to show her them, BIG MISTAKE.
As when we got back in the car, I got the 1600 for a tv, 999 for a tv, even the "s" at 649.00. and why can't we buy a 399.00 tv (like the Panasonic 720p plasma) And explaining the tech side of it is lost on her. a tv picture is a tv picture to her. until of course we are watching one of her sifi channels or movies then HA!!!
If I was single like I was when I bought the old tv, I'd have mostlikely walked in to the store, and bought a 3-4000 tv and ended up with a led/lcd tv and later found it was a mistake, as most places are pushing the led TV's hard. so having to get the tv "approved" by the otherhalf wasn't all bad, it made me research more.
So it looks like I've got the "ok" to buy the tc-p50st60 As I emailed her the cnet reviews of both and the amazon listings that have customer reviews of both with the tc-p50s60 reviews have'n many pointing out that the "st" would've been a better choice if you have the extra 300 to spend. Then I did the best used car salesman skit I could pointing out if the new t.v. last as long as the old one,say 10 years it's only 100.00 a year even if it old last 5 it's only 200.00 a year, I'm like what's our cable and internet bill a month? and got a dirty look wink.gif And got the o.k. to get the one I want but "don't you dare come home with that 1900 Samsung"
The reason I was sticking with the 50" models is the house has a mahogany fireplace mantel, that was painted by one of the owners, and we stripped it of the 8 layers of paint (who paints a mahogany wood mantel???????) and then build a frame to match for the t.v. luckily the old t.v(42") has the speakers on the sides making the t.v. 48" wide leaving enough room for todays plasma sizes as not to many 42" plasmas anymore and the new 42" ones with the speakers on the back/bottom would look lost in the frame. Just so happens that the 50-51" TV's are about 46.5-48.5" case size and will only have to add a spacer to the bottom as the Panasonic is 27.5 tall and frame has 27.25 aval. and an 1-1.5"spacer(curved faced board to match the mantel) should do it or just spacers on the sides and middle with speaker grill material running across the front, if as I think, the speakers are at the bottom facing down.. but that is cake.
oops, sorry about the "book" of a reply..
just want to say again thanks and glad I found this site. As I'm sure I'll have some more questions on other equipment as time goes on.. and I plan on opening the old tv up and looking for the problem as the (I'm guessing here) relay that would "click" when powering on from standby would click 3-5 times, that started 2 months ago as it always was one click. So I'm thinking relay or power surply and if something simple it go in the basement game/display room
post #6 of 6 Old 09-12-2013, 11:14 AM

If you can get the ST60 over the S60 then go for it!

When buying (almost) anything I found it helps to First set the budget and Then see what the best bang-for-the-buck is. It is an easier problem to "optimize" that way. smile.gif The Logic of ROI (Return-On-Investment) is a _perfect_ tactic to help with the "swing vote". :-) That dirty look she gave you was a "priceless Logic FTW!" biggrin.gif

Yeah, it is amazing how far prices have dropped. Paid $3k for my 42" back in the day. Now you get that same quality for $450 !?!?.

Keep us informed of what you end up getting and how it works out!

Edit: Fixed ST60 typo

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50s60 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P58vt25 58 Inch 3d 1080p Viera Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page