ZT60 sharpness/clarity and calibration question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 09-12-2013, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all... first time post here. I've had my ZT60 since the middle of June AO1668 and has 330 hours on it now. I have been very pleased with the picture and hadn't done much playing with picture settings. With the start of NFL season last week I've moved my older Samsung LCD downstairs and placed it next to the ZT for Sunday Ticket viewing. I have since noticed the clarity/sharpness of the Panny isn't as good as the LCD. I have done a little tweaking of pic settings but haven't had much luck as I'm overwhelmed with the settings menus. I purchased the set from BB and being a Silver Rewards member will get me a calibration for no fee. So my questions are... Is the sharpness/clarity issue something that's usually taken care of in a calibration? What's BBs reputation of calibration technicians? Any calibration process technical info would also be appreciated... Please bare with me (newb)

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-12-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 560
If you look in the ZT thread a week ago you'll find a member and their less then acceptable cal done by BB. There is also more information about their calibrations in the thread for that topic. I am a SR member and wouldn't let them touch my display for free. You brought a great display and it should easily match/exceed your LCD for clarity and sharpness. If you could afford a ZT you should be able to afford a pro cal which I highly recommend. Well worth the cost and you will get 2 modes calibrated plus 3D vs. one with BB.

In the interim I suggest you try Sammie's settings - his ZT review on the home page was very informative and included detailed settings - should be easy to find using the forum's search function if it is no longer there. A number of your fellow owners have said using them improved their picture.

That being said using someone else's settings is less then optimal. Go pro, I just had my VT done last month and I am still smiling every time I turn it on and see that beautiful picture. DNice, Chad, Kevin Miller and a number of other very good calibrators do tours so it shouldn't be hard to line one up.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #3 of 13 Old 09-12-2013, 09:09 PM

Liked: 14
Go for it it's free! Bb techs r isf certified industry standard. Just tell them u want one with the most experience.
post #4 of 13 Old 09-12-2013, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 504
The BB calibrator won't harm your set, but in the likely chance you get a substandard calibration you may get a false sense of security thinking your set is as good as it can be when it's actually far from it.

ISF/THX calibrator with Jeti 1211 reference spectro
Latest reviews:LG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300, LG 55EA8800 (including 3D)

Why I don't publish settings, Review index and rankings, Florida tour Dec '14, Texas tour Jan '15
post #5 of 13 Old 09-13-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies and info! I've got the calibration scheduled with BB for a Saturday in 2 weeks, I'm thinking about going ahead with that until I can find a pro calibrator in my area. I live in Richmond VA... what are my options?
post #6 of 13 Old 09-13-2013, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Dnice works that area I believe also Chad does tours, check the sticky thread in the calibration forum and congrats on your new set smile.gif

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #7 of 13 Old 09-13-2013, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm actually an hour outside of Richmond, VA right now, but I'm heading back today. Next trip is planned for November.

Latest reviews:LG 65UB9800Samsung UN65HU8550UN65HU9000, UN85HU8550, LG 55EC9300, LG 55EA8800 (including 3D)

Why I don't publish settings, Review index and rankings, Florida tour Dec '14, Texas tour Jan '15
post #8 of 13 Old 09-13-2013, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfan78 View Post

Thanks for the replies and info! I've got the calibration scheduled with BB for a Saturday in 2 weeks, I'm thinking about going ahead with that until I can find a pro calibrator in my area. I live in Richmond VA... what are my options?

Just be sure to keep them out of the service menu - which they have tried to do when doing other calibrations - no need what so ever for them to go there. Lost just had his done a few weeks ago by them as a test/curiosity thing, read his experience because they really messed up his grayscale, as in they didn't even calibrate it plus they set the gamma incorrectly. Do some homework on the calibration thread, the more you know going into it the better off you will be. It helps to be able to ask questions that you know the answers to so you can make sure the tech knows what he/she is doing. Good luck and I'd set a date with Chad in November today - he is excellent.

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
post #9 of 13 Old 09-13-2013, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Chad I'm definitely interested in your services on your next trip in November, do you have a website with more info? I'm a electrician by trade but must admit completely lost in the terminology and technical info of calibrations. I'm working on building a nice mid level home setup with surround speakers being the next step. After reading all the threads about BB calibration I'm on the fence about letting them touch my set. Since it's a totally free service with Silver Rewards I'm thinking about just proceeding and at worst resetting to default if I'm not satisfied... and keeping them out of the service menu as suggested! SMurray, I've tried to find Sammies settings for the ZT with no luck, I'm sure it's because I'm not looking in the right spot. Ideally I would like to make some adjustments myself to make the picture good enough for football viewing until a scheduled cal with a pro.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-13-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Chad I'm definitely interested in your services on your next trip in November, do you have a website with more info? I'm a electrician by trade but must admit completely lost in the terminology and technical info of calibrations. I'm working on building a nice mid level home setup with surround speakers being the next step. After reading all the threads about BB calibration I'm on the fence about letting them touch my set. Since it's a totally free service with Silver Rewards I'm thinking about just proceeding and at worst resetting to default if I'm not satisfied... and keeping them out of the service menu as suggested! SMurray, I've tried to find Sammies settings for the ZT with no luck, I'm sure it's because I'm not looking in the right spot. Ideally I would like to make some adjustments myself to make the picture good enough for football viewing until a scheduled cal with a pro.

http://www.avsforum.com/products/panasonic-viera-tc-p65zt60-65-inch-plasma-hdtv/reviews/4322

Link is above. AVS is a great place to learn more about what you've bought and given your background you should be able to learn quickly. There are a lot of very helpful people on this forum who will be happy to help you through the process.

post #11 of 13 Old 09-13-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Chad I'm definitely interested in your services on your next trip in November, do you have a website with more info?

Yes, it's HDTVbyChadB.com

Click on contact to schedule.

post #12 of 13 Old 10-31-2013, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Guys, just wanted to give an update to my ZT60 sharpness issue... I went thru with having BB attempt to cal the set about a month ago. The tech showed up on time but that was the only positive thing I can say. He was rather unfriendly, didn't listen to my concerns or issues with the set and was in and out in about 1 hour. Needless to say I was unimpressed with the job and the picture was quite possibly worse off than before he touched it. I then scheduled a cal with Chad B and left the set on "Cinema" setting instead of his done on "custom". Chads scheduler was able to fit me in this past Monday which worked out great as I was already taking the day off from work to get some things done around the house. Chad showed up right on time and we chatted about the sets history with BB and all my issues/concerns. He came up with a gameplan to suite my viewing preferences and I let him go to work. I mentioned to him that I thought BB did access the service menu to make some "adjustments" there. He ended up resetting to factory settings, starting from scratch and WOW what a difference. He did 2 modes for me, "pro 1- day" and "pro 2-night". My living room gets a fair amount of daylight so he was able to brighten it up... great for Sunday afternoon football! Overall I can't be happier with the job Chad did, I knew my set had the capability of looking amazing it just needed some tweaking from a pro! I'm now a happy Panasonic ZT owner and proud to show off my TV to my guests.

Phil

Chad, feel free to comment as I'm not savvy enough to explain all the technical details smile.gif
post #13 of 13 Old 10-31-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Congrats, Chad does a great job smile.gif We can add your BB experience to the long list of unsatisfied customers it seems, sad

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page