Thanks , AVS gurus! Just bought a Panny VT60 (65") ! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 09-16-2013, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a new tv after years of debate / thought / hesitation...

I wanted to say thank you to all of you here. I lurk these forums religiously, and I am 100% sure there are tons of other lurkers who feels this way.

I feel indebted to those of you who spend your time discussing / debating / informing and generally contributing to these forums so that noobs like me can come here and scan all of the info, and make better decisions.

I can't wait to install my TV.

I am going to go hang it on the wall and plug it in right now.

I had to post a THANK YOU first though.

A million times, Thanks you , AVS people!

Love,

The Lurkers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-16-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Congratulations, enjoy your set and post pics when it's done. wink.gif
Chiefs4Life likes this.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #3 of 22 Old 09-16-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Good choice excellent set I wouldn't mind one !smile.gif
Chiefs4Life likes this.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #4 of 22 Old 09-16-2013, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

Good choice excellent set I wouldn't mind one !smile.gif
make sure the pixel orbiter is on (probably a default setting) never hurts to check though.
Chiefs4Life likes this.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #5 of 22 Old 09-16-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:

make sure the pixel orbiter is on (probably a default setting) never hurts to check though.

Why? Every pro calibrator turns it off. It does nothing to prevent IR - well documented if you do some research.
Chiefs4Life likes this.

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Denon 5200 w/ Outlaw 2200 Amps (3)
Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2s F/R & Horizon w/ RAAL Center; Sierra 1s Surrounds; DefTech PM1000 Fronts, Ascend HTM-200s Top Middle and PSB S5 Rear Surrounds; Dual SVS subs
Oppo 103; Onkyo HD-DVD; Apple TV & Roku Stick
Atmos arrived on 9/30/2014
post #6 of 22 Old 09-16-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Plasma manufacturers have tried various ways of reducing burn-in such as using gray pillar boxes, pixel orbiters and image washing routines, but none to date have eliminated the problem and all plasma manufacturers continue to exclude burn-in from their warranties. -Wikipedia- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_display

smurraybhm , If what you say is true ? Pixel orbit may otherwise at least prolong phosphor life as you should know *all * types of phosphorus emissive displays including plasma deteriorate over time (temperature is one enemy of phosphor ) makes sense or not?. I can not prove or disprove that pixel orbit does or does not affect phosphor life. I have my pixel orbiter on at mfr default auto setting. I can not see it at normal viewing distance with Blue Ray disc. I have tried it both on and off. So at least in my case and from what I can see here I will leave mine on . As to weather it does anything or not
All I can say at least the TV manufactures and the references cited here seem think it might. (I looked) I have not seen anything to convince me to turn it off.

Three links here that refer to published professional calibrations by ISF certifeid calibrators recommend that on at least Panasonic Plasmas pixel orbiters be enabled I think it is safe to assume that likewise would equally apply to other brands as they all provide for it.
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-592352/panasonic-tc-p60vt60-picture-settings/
http://www.hometheater.com/content/panasonic-tc-p65vt50-3d-plasma-hdtv-settingsviewer's Recommended Best Settings
http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/1762335-panasonic-tx-p50gt60-reviewers-recommended-best-settings.html
Steve Withers at avForums.com is a certified ISF calibrator he also ownes http://www.stormfrontav.com/
If there are any professional calibrators that turn pixel orbit off that does not at least seem to coincide with ISF or MFR recommendations.
If any certified calibrators would like to offer input that would be more than welcome in fact encouraged . or maybe we can start another thread and have some free discussion I'm always willing to learn something. If there are valid proven reasons to turn off pixel orbit even if just a verifiable better viewing experience I'm sure that would be interesting .

The recommended default settings Panasonic provides in conjunction with ISF when you enter ISF mode from the remote have pixel orbit enabled also under * most* other settings or modes the pixel orbit remains on auto.

smurraybhm I didn't realise you talked to * all * of the professional calibrators out there or Panasonic about that ! Can you cite some references or are you just making a blanket general statement without proof. Its seem contrary to anything I have seen so I have to assume your unproven statements at lest conflict with Panasonic,ISF home theater,Cnet ,Av Forums.com Storm frontand Sound and Visions .com
and also quite a few threads here at AVS your statement may be incorrect .Your opinions might deserve more respect if they could be proven .

So at this point I would have to say that *maybe* orbiter should be set on auto. ofc all are free to do as they will.

On automatic the Panasonic starts the pixel orbiter after 4 min of a static screen. Or you can change it to force and select 1 to 4 min.

Here is ( in part ) Cnet (CBS) labs recommended settings for the Panasonic VT 60 . Without any proof otherwise I would take their advise and Panasonics default settings (at least on the pixel orbit ) since they do provide an automatic default automatic setting but we ofc are all entitled to our opinions whether they can be proven or not . Cnet / CBS labs should be up to the task of a professional calibration

2013 Panasonic TC-P60VT60 picture settings
by tpendlebury CNET staff - 5/6/13 1:55 PM
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-592352/panasonic-tc-p60vt60-picture-settings/

Screen settings sub-menu:
Screen format: JUST
Overscan: Off
H size: Size 1
Zoom adjustments: No change
Screen display: on
4:3 side bars: Off
Pixel orbiter: Auto
Screen wipe: No change

People who think they know everything annoy those of us that do !biggrin.gif

Note: This post was edited by its original author Added calibration report info on 05/07/2013 at 12:25 PM PT
Chiefs4Life likes this.

post #7 of 22 Old 09-16-2013, 08:53 PM

Liked: 16
After having gotten some IR being kind of oblivious thinking the IR was a thing of the past I would say
you need to follow the breakin procedures described. My Ir came from watching CNBC anything with dark logos
and streaming banners is dangerous. I would avoid the brighter screen displays and check to see how its
doing once in awhile with the screen eraser app. I ran mine in THX mode and was watching CNBC about 3 to 4 hours a day for a month
when I started to notice the ghosting logo and banner. I have been running the screen wiper 8 hours at a time and it
does seem to help . It looks like its starting to correct but I think it takes as long to get it to go away as it took to got it.
It has all those modes video modes you would think you should be able to use them without problems.
I ordered one of the calibration eraser disks hopefully that will help things out.
Chiefs4Life likes this.
post #8 of 22 Old 09-16-2013, 08:55 PM

Yeah all displays wear out its just that plasma is 10,000 times more susceptible to ir retention.
Chiefs4Life likes this.
post #9 of 22 Old 09-16-2013, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Let the guy enjoy his set and keep your problems on another thread. Not all panels are created equal.
Chiefs4Life likes this.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #10 of 22 Old 09-16-2013, 10:30 PM

yeah but I have the same model just 5 inches less on the diagonal.
post #11 of 22 Old 09-16-2013, 10:31 PM

I am just trying to give him a heads up so he won't make the same mistake i did.
Chiefs4Life likes this.
post #12 of 22 Old 09-16-2013, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Chiefs4Life

Forgot to add you may already know but one of the first things to turn OFF are any eco or energy saver setting as they can severely limit brightness as for break in I do not positively know one way or the other if it really matters some say yes others no , I just did it because I have a PS 3 and figured it wouldn't hurt .

I can say I had a little temporary IR at first . It went away with just normal viewing now I hardly ever see any
7 months later it has not been a big problem for me at all (Samsung Panel) I never used any special tricks just normal viewing and maybe a 60 second whitewash occasionally the set has that in it I don't even need to do that anymore .

I usually watch the business and news channels in my home office on Toshiba LCD /LED though
so I can not speak to that but on my plasma ,PS3 no problem so far ,ESPN for hours on end no problem either *should* be the same for any newer plasma. Getting GTA 5 tonight to play on the Plasma biggrin.gif

PS3 plays well Blue Ray even better Enjoy that set you got one of best pictures money can buy . I saw that set in the store after I bought mine mad.gif actually the Sammie panel is pretty decent but I think yours is a better at least than 2012 Sammy panel. I think 2013 TOTL Sammie and Panasonic may be more equal . Can't go wrong with newer Panny Plasma they are all good IMO .
You might like to post a picture in this thread and look at the ones already posted. truly amazing on a decent PC monitor ! I will have to stream them to the TV and see how they hold up http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475972/official-panasonic-st-gt-vt-zt60-pictures-thread

Disclaimer my set is Not a Panasonic but it is a large 2012 Plasma but most things regarding plasma sets should be the same
at least as far as image retention and some basic settings. no problem
Chiefs4Life likes this.

post #13 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
This is the reason I (and so many others) LOVE this place!

Thanks for all the tips & opinions & well wishes....

By the way ,

whats the best way to stream content to the VT60? Is there an app most people use? If you stream it directly to the TV will it it go through the receiver to have sound?

Maybe i need an AV-R?

STreaming Noob here!

I <3 AVS
post #14 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 11:51 AM

Panasonic made setting up the Home Theater option and getting the ARC to work really hard.
First of all to set it up you are working with the Viera Link inside the apps menu.
This menu is meant for controlling viera connected devices.
If you have something like a Panasonic DVD player hooked up it will show up
Chiefs4Life likes this.
post #15 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 12:00 PM

sorry for the two part post.(the editor here is hard to use )
Anyway when you turn on HDMI control on your Receiver then go back to the TV apps menu
and go to Viera Link the Home Theater option should pop up. Then you can select Home Theater
as speaker output and the volume control on the viera remote will control the receiver. This is very confusing
as you would expect to find this in the setup menu.
If you have made the tv part of your home network you can do ytube from your smartphone then select the
tv from the phone and the tv will display the content.
Chiefs4Life likes this.
post #16 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

HDMI carries sound also so any ethernet or Wifi enabled Blue ray (BD) player will work . Some of the newer Panasonic Blue ray players are getting excellent reviews.As far ar the Viera Link Panasonic ARC features (audio return over HDMI channel )
ctuna is the man there as I am not familiar with Viera Link, that might be a good option . (could be some other BD players support Viera link as well doubtful though ). I think there some are BD players that have 2 HDMI outputs 1 being an audio return path. Ofc optical (toslink ) audio path from TV or any BD player is always an option . PS3 is excellent content streamer also one of the best. PS 4 could even be better in Nov.

FWIHR some of the (other than Sony ,Panasonic , Oppo or Marantz brand BD players), aren't so good . Only reason I could see to pay the premium for an OPPO BD or premium Marantz player is they *may* provide better audio performance for CD or home theater if you have a good system they both have a longstanding good reputations for that. The premium Marantz *could* be a re branded Toshiba FWIHR not too unlikley.

An HDMI capable PC will work well or you can use PC VGA or DVID - D to HDMI adapter or cable ofc that will require separate audio path .VGA will give least quality it is analog.
Google Chrome Cast + PC or laptop /netbook will work (if using PC VGA or DVI-D cable you will want to use pixel to pixel or pixel mapping mode) another option is Google Chrome Cast + PC . even better Google chrome cast + PC + smartphone together . Also there is Roku . IMO newer Panasonic or Sony or OPPO WIFI BD player would be best or equally as good PS3 .

Any video connection to TV is best done with HDMI as that usually provides all the options,benefits and features for best picture quality
and proper scaling. If you run out of HDMI inputs inexpensive HDMI switchers are available some with remotes.
You can play games on PS3 . I got GTA V last night it's over the top awesome. they spent over $200 million making that game this time around more than the most expensive Hollywood movie ever made biggrin.gif

Don't forget a thumbs up if this has been helpful for you!
Chiefs4Life likes this.

post #17 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 01:03 PM

Getting the ARC to work properly was very frustrating as the Help from tech support from Panasonic and Yamaha
could not explain how to set it up properly. The fact the Home theater option is hidden inside the Apps menu viera link
is non intuitive and the fact it doesn't appear till you have HDMI control on your reciever turned on is even more non intuitive.
Also I downloaded remote control apps on my smart phone for both the TV and my Yamaha 475 they are kind of cool.
post #18 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I say take it back since I just want to be different. cool.gif

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #19 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 01:09 PM

I added the TV wirelessly to my network as I don't have another port on my router or another
25 ft Ethernet cable .(yeah ethernet would be better) It seem to work fine that way . Did one of the HuDu tests and it seems it
will support the highest streaming rate they put out.
post #20 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HDMI carries sound also so any ethernet or Wifi enabled Blue ray (BD) player will work . Some of the newer Panasonic Blue ray players are getting excellent reviews.As far as the Viera Link Panasonic ARC features (audio return over HDMI channel )
ctuna is the man there as I am not familiar with Viera Link, that might be a good option . (could be some other BD players support Viera link as well doubtful though ). I think there some are BD players that have 2 HDMI outputs 1 being an audio return path. Ofc optical (toslink ) audio path from TV or any BD player is always an option . PS3 is excellent content streamer also one of the best. PS 4 could even be better in Nov.

FWIHR some of the (other than Sony ,Panasonic , Oppo or Marantz brand BD players), aren't so good . Only reason I could see to pay the premium for an OPPO BD or premium Marantz player is they *may* provide better audio performance for CD or home theater if you have a good system they both have a longstanding good reputations for that. The premium Marantz *could* be a re branded Toshiba FWIHR supposed to be pretty good.

An HDMI capable PC will work well or you can use PC VGA or DVID - D to HDMI adapter or cable ofc that will require separate audio path .VGA will give least quality it is analog.
Google Chrome Cast + PC or laptop /netbook will work (if using PC VGA or DVI-D cable you will want to use pixel to pixel or pixel mapping mode) another option is Google Chrome Cast + PC . even better Google chrome cast + PC + smartphone together . Also there is Roku . IMO newer Panasonic or Sony or OPPO WIFI BD player would be best or equally as good PS3 .

Any video connection to TV is best done with HDMI as that usually provides all the options,benefits and features for best picture quality
and proper scaling. If you run out of HDMI inputs inexpensive HDMI switchers are available some with remotes.
You can play games on PS3 . I got GTA V last night it's over the top awesome. they spent over $200 million making that game this time around more than the most expensive Hollywood movie ever made biggrin.gif

Don't forget a thumbs up if this has been helpful for you!

post #21 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 02:19 PM

Since streaming is built into the TV why would you want a separate streaming device.
Is it fidelity issue .
Chiefs4Life likes this.
post #22 of 22 Old 09-17-2013, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

My bad I was under the impression streaming was not built in (post 13) I maybe misunderstood op? so probably OP is all set except for BD and audio return eek.gif.unless he wants more than built in apps HTPC would be perfect for that set * if OP wants local storage smile.gif
Watched WWZ in WMC from storage drive today 3 mouse clicks (actually touchpad remote ) maybe finger pokes ,movie plays no disk no wait to load just works . biggrin.gif
Chiefs4Life likes this.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page