HDMI issue: D* > Denon > Panasonic = green flickering screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-16-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Equipment - Panasonic Plasma HDTV TH50PX50U, 2005. Sony Bravia HDTV KLD32XBR9, 2010. Denon AV Receiver 1912.

I have my Panasonic TV used as a monitor connected to the Denon with HDMI. I have DirecTv HDMI into the Denon then HDMI to the TV. I turned on the system and could only see a green flickering screen… everything has always worked fine without incident.

I tried changing HDMI cables with known working cables of short length. Same issue. Thinking that my Panasonic TV was damaged somehow, I connected composite cables and audio cables into the TV from the DirecTv receiver (HR-34) and it worked once I switched inputs on the TV. I then connected HDMI from the DirecTv receiver into the Panasonic TV, switched inputs back to HDMI and it worked. This is where it gets weird. I was thinking my Denon HDMI was the problem. So I started again only now using the Sony TV.

I have the Sony TV as a backup, connected HDMI from the Denon using the Sony as a monitor similar to my original setup and it worked. I used the original HDMI cables and tried others and they all worked. However, when I connected everything back as original to the Panasonic, I only see green flicking screen. I can't seem to isolate my problem. To watch TV, I now have composite from the the DirecTv directly to the Panasonic with HDMI out of the DirecTv into the Denon for digital audio. Why does it work with the Denon and Sony TV but not the Panasonic? Without HDMI into the Panasonic, I am unable to see the Demon menu screen… yet when I hook everything up as original to the Sony, I see the Denon menu.

I can't seem to figure this out. Any help is appreciated. I can provide addition information if needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-17-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sometimes hdmi needs a "proper sequence" to get everything going. Unplug everything from power. Let things sit to allow for discharge of any "residual power" in units. Plug them back in. "Normal" power up starts at the display (sink) and works back towards the source (sat receiver). Power up the TV, wait til everything has settle, check the input status of available connections, hopefully it "sees" the appropriate hdmi input. Next power up the receiver, potentially you should be able to now see the denon OSD displays assuming to go thru on hdmi (depending on the model). Now power up the sat receiver and select it on the receiver inputs. Hopefully you should now see things happening correctly.

Of course, there are lots of questions. How long have you had the setup as you describe? Did it ever work? Lastly, have you check your settings on receiver to ensure that any video "manipulations" done therein are appropriate for the display (ie. resolution).

Hope it works out.

PS. "hot cable swaps" of HDMI, although supposedly supported, don't always get predictable results.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-17-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for this info. I am getting new HDMI cables and will post the results.smile.gif I have had this setup for a few years...the Denon is from 2011 but all in all, I've never had any troubles. It was a challenge rechecking the receiver as I couldn't see the odd on the Panasonic. I ran my settings recheck using the Sony.

Your help means a lot to me. Frustrations aren't always a good thing.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-26-2013, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Tried several different HDMI cables... most of them new. Same results... green flickering or color matrix screen on TV HDMI input, coming from Denon receiver and OK to TV HDMI from DirecTv IRD. I guess I'm stuck.mad.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 09-26-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 80
You may not want to hear this, but it could be your HDMI board going. I had similar issues with my Integra 80.2 and it ended up being the board. Your best bet is to send it to Denon and see if they find anything. Trust me, I know it's going to suck being down. But it may be your best bet. I also had a board go in my Panasonic plasma but to be honest, I forget the issues I had. In reality, that could be your issue as well. Sorry for the crappy news.
But my gut tells me it's the HDMI board in your Denon.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #6 of 6 Old 09-26-2013, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mike. I can handle being down a while if needed. If it is the Denon, it's not real problem. If it is the TV, well, it's been a great TV but is 8 years old and 100lbs on the wall. Getting that fixed would probably make any repair a real hassle and cost prohibitive.

I'm using composite inputs so that is working.

technology... what can Say?

Sure do appreciate the help here though.

Rick
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia Xbr Kdl 32xbr9 32 Inch Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 32xbr9 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page