Replacing My Pioneer 6010FD...sniffle sniffle...Could Use a Little Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi friends,

It seems that the plasma display panel is gone on my 6010. This will be confirmed in a few days. I also understand that it will cost $3k to replace it, if the component is even available. What a sad day. The panel is just exquisite. Plus, I paid $6500 back when I clearly did not have $6500 to spend.

I am servicing it through DirecTV's premier protection plan, which gets an attached piece of technology repaired or replaced in 3 days. If they cannot fix the component, flat panels included, they will replace it for a max of $2K or fair market value of the broken component.

So a question or 2. Any idea what FMV of that panel would be? What the heck is FMV for a 5-year old then-top-of-the-line panel?

And where would you start to look for a replacement panel? I don't mean to ask everyone to shop for me, but is Panny the way to go for a 60" plasma?

Thanks very much!

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 70
When you say the panel is gone, what do you mean? Cracked screen? Stuck vertical line or bar? Dark horizontal line? Those are the only three real failures a plasma panel can have.

Fair market value (to the insurer) probably equivalent to a low-end 1080p 60" plasma or LED (even if it was a high end model, they will only compare basic specifications like size, resolution, "smart" functions etc.)
post #3 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Wow. Talk about leaving out details! I have a black rectangular patch starting at the bottom of the screen and stretching about halfway up. It's width is about 10% of the entire width of the screen. Sorry 'bout that.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteRunner View Post

Wow. Talk about leaving out details! I have a black rectangular patch starting at the bottom of the screen and stretching about halfway up. It's width is about 10% of the entire width of the screen. Sorry 'bout that.

Any pixels or noise in this bar? Or is it completely black? If you have noise/pixels/lines, the panel is bad.

Before failing would the picture be intermittent in this area or show noise (except as a permanent fault?) If YES, panel cannot be bad unless you're really, really unlucky. If NO, panel may or may not be bad (50-50 chance.)

If the answer to the second question is yes, 99% of the time this problem is corrected by re-seating the appropriate connector on the plasma address/data boards, inside the unit. These run the length of the panel. I have fixed a few TVs with this issue, relatively common problem.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

All black
post #6 of 8 Old 09-18-2013, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member

A good chance it's fixable then by reseating the loose connector.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-23-2013, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all again,

Confirmed: its the plasma display panel. I am now in the market for 6010FD replacement. #sad
post #8 of 8 Old 09-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Are they keeping the old TV? It's worth quite a bit faulty, if you list it on Craigslist. I also wouldn't entirely take their word on that diagnosis if they get to keep it. Many less scrupulous TV repair shops keep the TVs that customers leave behind to fix them or sell them on.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 6010fd 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page