Can't change lots of settings when tv connected to VGA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-24-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hi guys,

For a little more than a year now i own a LG PA6500 plasma, great nice 60 inch plasma screen. I mostly do gaming on it and sometimes movies. I used to have my Xbox 360 connected to HDMI, but with several games it just looks too bright. I did calibrate my tv, so that the contrast, brightness, sharness, and so on is correct. But when i look at games as RDR or GTA V, the faces and buildings are just overly bright and it makes it very ugly too.

So i decided to give my Xbox 360 VGA cable a shot and to my surprise the picture is A LOT more crisper than before, but the problem is....the sharpness is set to 30 and that is too much. The bigger problem is, for some reason i cannot select sharpness, colour, tint or even the advanced control settings. These options are all greyed out. Only with VGA, cause i dont have that with HDMI. Anything i can do about this?

I also tried to a PC with VGA, same story...can only change contrast and brightness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-25-2013, 02:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 308
VGA D sub is analog and must be converted in the TV. *usually most picture modes/ options and picture enhancement options are greyed out /unavailable on HDTV when using PC VGA input by default
they use among other things different color profiles also.

Best option is ofc HDMI connection if your PC does not have HDMI and HD video, if it is a desktop you can add in an inexpensive
HD 6450 HD HDMI video card they typically cost 25-$35.00

Added benefit is you can use PC ODD to playback DVD and HD6450 will upscale DVD very well
to1080p /HDMI automatically DVD's will look much better than std non upscaling 480p DVD player.

. If your PC doesn't have HDMI but has DVI-D you can use a
an DVI-D to HDMI adapter + HDMI cable or DVID-D to HDMI cable and that will at least give you more options and probably brighter clearer picture.

If your laptop has Mini DVI-D ,Mini HDMI or Display port You can use that to connect to TV HDMI also with the appropriate adapter + HDMI cable or adapter cables

PC to HDTV , HDMI to HDMI is best. DVI-D to HDMI is second best VGA to VGA on HDTV is least good option .

HD 6450 is fanless low power part only uses maybe 25 watts and will run entirely off of PCIe
slot power stock PSU will run ir fine also comes with low profile bracket.for slimline cases .it is an excellent HD + 3D HTPC card
just not a powerful PC game card. usually a
big improvement over older or low end on board graphics .
* PC's with HDMI port Should playback 1080p HD fine .

I've used this with excellent results http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102933

I have no interests or affiliations to any of the of the re sellers or retailers or their affiliates or to
any links or videos mentioned in this or any thread here at AVS they are provided for information purposes only

Don't forget a thumbs up if this has been helpful for you!

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #3 of 3 Old 09-30-2013, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thanks for the reply man. Lots of PC information there, but the most important thing for me is the 360 for gaming. It sounds like i'm out of luck when it comes to changing settings for VGA on Xbox 360 then, on this tv.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 60 Inch Pa6500 Plasma Hdtv , Sapphire Geforce Hd 6450 Graphic Card 625 Mhz Co
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page