F8500 or ST60 to replace E8000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-24-2013, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I had a Samsung D8000 plasma and had the bad luck of getting a line of dead pixels, Samsung refunded my money. I got an E8000 plasma with the refund and now it has bright pixels. I know that it's just incredibly bad luck that both had pixel issues and the retailer is going to replace my E8000 under extended warranty. I have a choice of accepting a F8500 or a ST60.

I know the F8500 is much better that both the E8000 and ST60 as far as black levels, contrast, ect, but I'm a little cautious going with Samsung for a 3rd plasma. So I'm wondering from a picture quality stand point how the ST60 will look compared to what I have now with my E8000? If it's similar quality I can live with not having the latest and greatest.

Samsung UA55HU9000, Klipsch Quintet 5.1, Onkyo TX-NR515AE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-24-2013, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Actually the ST60 has as good or better black levels as the 8500, brightness on the other hand is a different story. If u watch in a dim or dark room I would recommend the ST60
DELTAsnake likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-25-2013, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 53
If you need a bright image or have a room that has a lot of light get the F8500, not only that but the blacks are better than the ST60 as well ( the guy above who said the black levels of the st60 being better is just wrong).

The F8500 is a flagship plasma that competes with the VT/ZT60, the ST60 is mid-high entry plasma.

That said the ST60 is capable of the 30 foot lamberts when calibrated, (that's what most experts calibrate their plasma's at) so all that extra brightness from the 8500 will be for show and will cause eye fatigue.

I would go with the f8500 if I was getting one with no out of pocket cost, but as a st60 owner it is a fantastic plasma
post #4 of 5 Old 09-25-2013, 01:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 340
I don't have a dog in this fight but these are some things I read a while back in case you haven't already seen these.

Quote:
When it comes to picture quality, Samsung F8500 is a positive surprise – again. Samsung has made significant improvements to its plasma TVs in recent years and after many years of standing in the shadow of Panasonic, Samsung has finally stepped out and pretty much matches picture quality of Panasonic’s high-end plasma TVs. F8500 has amazing black levels, great color reproduction, great motion reproduction and far higher brightness than most plasma TVs today. The higher brightness is one of the clear advantages over Panasonic’s VT60 and makes Samsung F8500 better suited for brightly lit living rooms. Despite that, we still believe that Panasonic VT60 has the edge.

All in all, Samsung F8500 is a great plasma TV and one of the best TVs on the market right now. Some of the classic plasma problems remain and F8500 is more expensive than previous plasma TVs from Samsung, but F8500 is still an amazing TV that definitely deserves our Highly Recommended Award.
http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1375254254

Value Electronics Flat-Panel Shootout Crowns Samsung F8500 "King of HDTV"
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1472715/value-electronics-flat-panel-shootout-crowns-samsung-f8500-king-of-hdtv
IIRC the shootout was between the more expesive Panasonic the VT60 and ZT60 and the Samsung F8500 ?
[/B]

OTOH

Panasonic ST60 is an amazing TV, let us just say that right away. But not for its many features or its design. In those departments it is a fairly average TV with a modern design but nothing spectacular and a Smart Viera platform that still leaves us wanting more, despite the revamp. No killer apps are available and even though there are some useful features, most new features are reserved for the higher-end models. At least we are not recommending ST60 based on the Smart Viera features.

But when it comes to picture quality it is an entirely different discussion. ST60 delivers 2D picture quality that you would expect from Panasonic’s high-end TVs just a few years ago. Black depth is simply amazing and approaching perfection, color reproduction is good and motion reproduction is exemplary. In fact, Panasonic’s more expensive high-end TVs could very well have one of the toughest competitors in its own ranks with ST60.

Some issues remain, such as dithering noise in colors, audible buzzing from the back side of the TV and a filter that is not as good as in some of the more expensive plasma TVs from Panasonic from the 2012 line-up, but that does not change the fact that Panasonic ST60 is one of the best value-for-money TVs we have seen to date and even one of the top-performing TVs. That is quite amazing and Panasonic ST60 receives our warmest recommendation.
http://www.tested.com/tech/tvs/455021-best-tv-panasonic-st60/

If they are willing to give you the F8500 for what you paid for the E8000 I would seriously think about it and maybe take that offer just saying .
OTOH if they wanted more money then I might take the Panasonic ofc I would like view both sets first .
Are the ST 60 and the E8000 comparable to price you paid ?,if not will they credit you difference ?
Maybe some money back and the ST 60 wouldn't hurt either as I understand it the ST 60 is very good .
ofc that all depends on what you paid for your sammie if that is same as ST60 price ofc that is fair also.

A no charge exchange of the 2012 E8000 for the improved 2013 F8500 would
seem to be a fair offer I believe it uses a different (newer panel) just saying.

So far my 7 mo old Sammie ( 2012 model ) is doing fine.

In all fairness I did prefer the brighter (not necessarily better)
picture of the Sammie to the equivalent 2012 Panny ofc that was in
the store not best of places to compare .
that is just a preference of mine.
A 2013 VT60 / ZT60 ofc might be different
Maybe the VT60 / ZT60 are more equivalent to what you have ?
Will they give you one of those biggrin.gif
Good luck I m sure either set is a good choice .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #5 of 5 Old 09-26-2013, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAsnake View Post

I had a Samsung D8000 plasma and had the bad luck of getting a line of dead pixels, Samsung refunded my money. I got an E8000 plasma with the refund and now it has bright pixels. I know that it's just incredibly bad luck that both had pixel issues and the retailer is going to replace my E8000 under extended warranty. I have a choice of accepting a F8500 or a ST60.

I know the F8500 is much better that both the E8000 and ST60 as far as black levels, contrast, ect, but I'm a little cautious going with Samsung for a 3rd plasma. So I'm wondering from a picture quality stand point how the ST60 will look compared to what I have now with my E8000? If it's similar quality I can live with not having the latest and greatest.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, obviously the F8500 is $1000 more expensive than the ST60. I have a D8000 and VT60 and love them both, VT60 has deeper blacks side by side in a dark room. You may find the discussions in the links below interesting:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1471147/comparison-of-black-levels

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415546/patterns-to-measure-mll-as-a-function-of-apl#post_23383073
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64e8000 64 Inch Ultra Slim Plasma 3d Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page