HELP------- Trying to find a plasma display around 42" that you won't want to throw rocks at. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 09-25-2013, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 179
For the last few months, I've been looking off and on for a 42" (or thereabouts) display to go into my bedroom.

Now a good friend of mine called and wants me to advise him of a 42" display.

You see where I'm going with this? eek.gif

In looking around, the only 42" plasmas that I've found look pretty bad. Nothing that I'd want much less recommend to someone else.

Does anyone know of a 42" ish plasma that looks pretty good from one of the top tier companies? Don't want junk as I'll catch the heat for recommending it.

Both applications are for bedroom use so we're talking fairly dim lighting.

I'm just wondering if the age of 42" plasmas have past and I'm going to have to settle on an LED???

HELP

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-25-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

For the last few months, I've been looking off and on for a 42" (or thereabouts) display to go into my bedroom.

Now a good friend of mine called and wants me to advise him of a 42" display.

You see where I'm going with this? eek.gif

In looking around, the only 42" plasmas that I've found look pretty bad. Nothing that I'd want much less recommend to someone else.

Does anyone know of a 42" ish plasma that looks pretty good from one of the top tier companies? Don't want junk as I'll catch the heat for recommending it.

Both applications are for bedroom use so we're talking fairly dim lighting.

I'm just wondering if the age of 42" plasmas have past and I'm going to have to settle on an LED???

HELP

there was the TC-P42S60, which was discontinued some months ago

perhaps in 2014, another 42" 1080p model from Panasonic will be available
post #3 of 10 Old 09-25-2013, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 25
For a dark bedroom plasma without a doubt.For bright rooms you can justify a led LCD.
post #4 of 10 Old 09-25-2013, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the 43 inch version of the set detailed in this article and am very happy with it

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-500-tv/
post #5 of 10 Old 09-25-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopguru View Post

I have the 43 inch version of the set detailed in this article and am very happy with it

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-500-tv/

Looks interesting. Only objection is that peak white measure at 41 foot lamberts which for most is enough for dim room. I'd want it a tad brighter but this might be as good as it currently gets.

Thanks for posting.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-25-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

don't the current Samsungs have floating blacks?
post #7 of 10 Old 09-25-2013, 11:10 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

don't the current Samsungs have floating blacks?

I'm not sure what that means, but the blacks on my set are pretty darn solid. I doubt if John Turturro's hair is much if any blacker on much more expensive options. My only issues really are the reflective screen and the lack of analog audio out, and both have been dealt with by the application of money .. (curtains and an optical to analog converter)
post #8 of 10 Old 09-26-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopguru View Post

I'm not sure what that means, but the blacks on my set are pretty darn solid. I doubt if John Turturro's hair is much if any blacker on much more expensive options. My only issues really are the reflective screen and the lack of analog audio out, and both have been dealt with by the application of money .. (curtains and an optical to analog converter)

floating blacks are when the black level rises significantly as the average brightness of the scene goes up (aka "APL", average picture level)

the F8500 has been confirmed to do this.... with really high APL content it can make the black level go up to .02 fL

you won't see any effects of this in dark scenes though, as they are low APL
post #9 of 10 Old 09-26-2013, 09:33 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

floating blacks are when the black level rises significantly as the average brightness of the scene goes up (aka "APL", average picture level)

the F8500 has been confirmed to do this.... with really high APL content it can make the black level go up to .02 fL

you won't see any effects of this in dark scenes though, as they are low APL

Is this still true? From what I've heard, it used to be the case but a few firmware upgrades have at least made the problem less obvious. I have the F8500 myself and can't say that I've seen it myself, but of course the much higher brightness of the F8500 compared to the Panasonics probably makes the black levels look better to the eye than perhaps it is. That said, I still consider the Panasoncis to have slightly better blacks than the F8500, no question about it.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-27-2013, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post

Is this still true? From what I've heard, it used to be the case but a few firmware upgrades have at least made the problem less obvious. I have the F8500 myself and can't say that I've seen it myself, but of course the much higher brightness of the F8500 compared to the Panasonics probably makes the black levels look better to the eye than perhaps it is. That said, I still consider the Panasoncis to have slightly better blacks than the F8500, no question about it.

with a light meter and some DVD/BD test patterns, you could check this yourself

how noticeable this is is debatable since high APL scenes will make the blacks look darker than they really are (an illusion based on how our eyes work), so the difference might be more subtle than the measurements suggest... I've never had the chance to study this behavior myself though and I'm referring to what the user zoyd (and buzzard) has posted in the calibration forum
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv Tc P42s60 , Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page