Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-26-2013, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Hello.
I have the 42G25 TV. I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am trying to get it to play 24p (2:3 pulldown) playback but in the "custom" menu section, those options are grayed out. Does anybody know how I can access to those options because right now it is on 60p and I would like to switch it.
Thanks

It ain't easy being green.
My System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-26-2013, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Are you playing a 24p source ?

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 9 Old 09-26-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

TBH, I don't know how to verify that redface.gif. I don't notice it when I watch a regular movie or BR movie from my OPPO 83 but when I watch I regular DVD that I ripped to my server it looks horrible.

Edit: This is from a review I found:
“As we noted above the G20/25 series is not blessed with the 96Hz refresh rate found on the step-up VT20/25 models, so as we observed with Panasonic's predecessor plasmas from 2009, the G models cannot properly handle 1080p/24 sources. We confirmed this with our favorite scene for such a test, the flyover of the Intrepid from "I Am Legend," where we observed the characteristic stuttering motion of 2:3 pull-down (as opposed to the correct cadence of film we observed on the V10) when the G20/25 was set to its default 60Hz mode under "24p direct in." Switching to the other option, 48Hz, caused the display to flicker significantly and become essentially unwatchable, especially in brighter scenes.”

Could that mean that my current TV just doesn't handle it the right way? But again, why would DVD's and BR's played through my OPPO look fine though.

One more thing, this is what the manual says in the picture section:
"3:2 pulldown Adjusts the picture recorded in 24 fps for optimum quality. (Off/On/Auto)

24p Direct in 48Hz: Achieves more cinematic playback by reproducing the movie contents at twice the
speed of 24 frames per second. (60Hz/48Hz)"
Thanks for any help

My System
post #4 of 9 Old 09-26-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am going to add that now that I REALLY think about it on some regular DVD's I may notice a bit of that choppy look but it's not AS bad as it is with the server. Again, it's really on just a few and the others are all fine. At least I think they are unless I just except it and it I don't even realize it. So maybe it is my TV. But I would still be interested in other thoughts smile.gif.

More thoughts. If I really think about it, would the bold sections above pertain to me? I mean my original source is not 1080p/24. It's just a regular DVD. I am really confused now frown.gif.

My System
post #5 of 9 Old 09-26-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
You're saying a DVD plays back with stuttering? A commercial NTSC DVD or something you've downloaded?

Tony
post #6 of 9 Old 09-26-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post

You're saying a DVD plays back with stuttering? A commercial NTSC DVD or something you've downloaded?
A commercial DVD. I just spoke with a friend of mine and he says maybe I have to try and see if there is any manipulation I can do in MakeMKV. I will try that but I am also going to try something like DVDFAB9. Talking with made me think that it might not be a TV thing. He thinks that's it's an encoding thing. If that's right, the maybe something like DVDFAB9 would work better. I hope its not a TV thing.

My System
post #7 of 9 Old 09-26-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There is nothing in MKV that looks like it would make a difference for me. So I guess a new program is what I need to try.

My System
post #8 of 9 Old 09-26-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
VLC media player plays anything.

Tony
post #9 of 9 Old 09-27-2013, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All right, to make a long story short, I think I am on my way to solving my issue without getting new software. As I stated above, my TV does not like 24p video. So, for goofs, I checked the settings in my Integra 80.3. Wouldn't you know it was set to 1080p/24. So, I dropped it back to just plain 1080p. Well that made a noticeable difference. Basically it made a "yea, I can live with that difference." Now my server also has many video settings. So I am also going to see if changing them will also make even more of an improvement but as it is, the visual change is very easy to see. So at least I am on my way. Thanks for the help.

My System
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P42g25 42 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv , Oppo Bdp 83 Blu Ray Player
Gear in this thread - P42g25 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page