A wall mount is a wall mount is a wall mount... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 35 Old 09-29-2013, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I hate to start a new thread on this but all of the relevant ones are several years old and I could not find an answer to my specific question.

Now this is going to seem like a no-brainer but I want answers from people with actual first hand knowledge on this.

I am about to purchase a 65" Panasonic ZT series Plasma and intend to wall mount it. I am looking for a mount that allows some decent range of motion and can pull away from the wall to pivot but also allow access for connections etc. Of course I perused Amazon and found a few I liked in the $75-$80 range. While at Best Buy negotiating the TV price I asked about mounts in hopes of "sweetening" my deal. The salesman showed me what they had - the cheapest similar style to what I was looking for was over $300. Now I questioned him about that - I worked for Best Buy for almost 5 years and no full well those mounts are probably marked up like 75%. The salesman explained the mounts on Amazon are probably thinner sheet metal, etc. I just don't buy it. If Amazon lists it and it's rated for 150 lbs then it should do just fine with a 90 lbs plasma, right?

So here's my question - any one have experience with these lower cost mounts? Are they worth while? I find it more likely that what Best Buy sells is overpriced than the mounts on Amazon are really poorly made.

Help would be great - I don't want to risk a $3000 TV on saving $200.

Cheers
Steven
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 09-30-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 227
The BB employee is probably right. I have a cheap mount from MonoPrice for about $30. And it is using very thin sheet medal and not looking sturdy at all. It is barely ok for my 46" Panasonic plasma but I think your 65" probably weights much more than mine. So, you need make sure whatever mounts you use can carry the weight of your TV. Plasma TVs are still way more heavier than LCD TVs.

Check your local Costco. I saw they have decent mount for almost half the price of BB asking for.
post #3 of 35 Old 09-30-2013, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response.

I went ahead and ordered from Amazon - It should get here Wednesday.
It's rated for almost twice what the 65" plasma weighs so we'll see.
I'll report back once I get it.

Cheers
Steven
post #4 of 35 Old 10-01-2013, 08:07 AM

Liked: 12
65" Panasonic?

I went with the Kanto KMFMX2 from Costco per another members recommendation. It works perfect.

Which one from Amazon did you order?
roncruiser likes this.
post #5 of 35 Old 10-01-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargod View Post

65" Panasonic?

I went with the Kanto KMFMX2 from Costco per another members recommendation. It works perfect.

This is the one I went with... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LL5JDA/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If it's not up to snuff I'll check out the Costco one. $130 isn't too bad. I can't believe some of the ones that Magnolia was showing were upwards of $600. I use to work at Best Buy so I know what kind of markup those things have. I remember buying $150 Monster Cables for 35-40 bucks.

Cheers
Steven
post #6 of 35 Old 10-01-2013, 11:40 AM

Liked: 10
I know you already ordered, but Monoprice has some really good prices on wall mounts. I would not hesitate one bit and trust wall-mounting my $3k TV using one of their mounts. I currently have my 55ST60 mounted on one of their sub-$20 mounts. For added peace of mind, you can just make sure that the one you buy is UL Certified and RoHS Compliant. At least that's what i've been told.

Panasonic 55ST60
Sony XBR-46HX909
post #7 of 35 Old 10-01-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

OK... Just discovered the wall mount I ordered does not fit the 65ZT60 mount spacing.
Fortunately the same company makes an accessory kit to extend it's range. http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Adapter-Bracket-Extender-1UU/dp/B002TKS0S8

Cheers
Steven
post #8 of 35 Old 10-05-2013, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mounting My 65" ZT.

So the mount I got from amazon was a decent quality - metal gauge seemed similar to others I have seen at stores.
That being said once I got it attached to the wall and the TV hung it seemed too wobbly - not solid. Granted this is a extendable mount that pulls the tv about 2 feet from the wall but even when it's pushed all the way in against the wall the TV seemed very precarious. A slight bump would cause the whole this to wobble.

So - Here's my question. Is this typical of all wall mounts? Typical of extendable mounts?
I think I may return it and just get a simple wall mount that just tilts up and down. I originally bought the extendable one for some more freedom in rotation and to make connections easier. I'm just not comfortable trysting an expensive tv on something that seems less than rock solid.

Cheers
Steven
roncruiser likes this.
post #9 of 35 Old 10-05-2013, 02:35 PM

Liked: 17
I am on the same boat. I'm about to purchase a 60" plasma display and I'm looking for a solid wall mount. It'd be interesting to see further replies on this this thread.
post #10 of 35 Old 10-05-2013, 05:34 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mluder View Post

Mounting My 65" ZT.

So the mount I got from amazon was a decent quality - metal gauge seemed similar to others I have seen at stores.
That being said once I got it attached to the wall and the TV hung it seemed too wobbly - not solid. Granted this is a extendable mount that pulls the tv about 2 feet from the wall but even when it's pushed all the way in against the wall the TV seemed very precarious. A slight bump would cause the whole this to wobble.

So - Here's my question. Is this typical of all wall mounts? Typical of extendable mounts?
I think I may return it and just get a simple wall mount that just tilts up and down. I originally bought the extendable one for some more freedom in rotation and to make connections easier. I'm just not comfortable trysting an expensive tv on something that seems less than rock solid.

Cheers
Steven

I compared specs - not prices and went with the OmniMount ULPC-X. I can't imagine how they could make it weigh any heavier than it is, but the action is silky smooth, well balanced and a joy to manipulate. As far as strength is concerned, pull-ups were flex-free...
roncruiser likes this.
post #11 of 35 Old 10-06-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisin View Post

I compared specs - not prices and went with the OmniMount ULPC-X. I can't imagine how they could make it weigh any heavier than it is, but the action is silky smooth, well balanced and a joy to manipulate. As far as strength is concerned, pull-ups were flex-free...

Thanks for the recommendation. The ULPC-X seems heavy duty. I'll likely end up buying it to mount my 60" plasma. Quite pricey, but the security is worth it.
post #12 of 35 Old 10-06-2013, 12:28 PM

Yes, heavy and not cheap, but it brings to mind an analogy i heard decades ago in answer to a track-day orientation question as to how much was an appropriate amount to spend on a crash helmet. The instructors deadpan response was " If you have a $10 head buy a $10 helmet..." lol
post #13 of 35 Old 10-14-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisin View Post

Yes, heavy and not cheap, but it brings to mind an analogy i heard decades ago in answer to a track-day orientation question as to how much was an appropriate amount to spend on a crash helmet. The instructors deadpan response was " If you have a $10 head buy a $10 helmet..." lol

Where'd you end up buying the ULPCX? I'm interested. Seems like only a few places offer them at at decent prices. Many other places are selling them at a premium. Thanks, Ron
post #14 of 35 Old 10-15-2013, 09:41 PM

I think i went for the "premium" price at cleveland plasma...
post #15 of 35 Old 10-16-2013, 07:47 AM

I ended up buying the Sanus VMPL3. A heavy duty tilt wall mount.
post #16 of 35 Old 10-16-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roncruiser View Post

I ended up buying the Sanus VMPL3. A heavy duty tilt wall mount.

I just ordered this same one from Amazon today. Going to return the full motion one I bought.

Cheers
Steven
post #17 of 35 Old 10-17-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:

I just ordered this same one from Amazon today. Going to return the full motion one I bought.

Cheers
Steven

The mount arrived yesterday. I wish I had enough time now to mount it. Mounting will have to wait until the weekend. I mapped out two studs for mounting. For additional support, I'll also be using 4 of these: http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptoggle/overview.php
post #18 of 35 Old 10-17-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The mount arrived yesterday. I wish I had enough time now to mount it. Mounting will have to wait until the weekend. I mapped out two studs for mounting. For additional support, I'll also be using 4 of these: http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptoggle/overview.php

Are you following me around? smile.gif
That's the same hollow wall anchor I used on my first mount. It worked great. Too bad the mount didn't.

Cheers
Steven
post #19 of 35 Old 10-20-2013, 01:13 AM - Thread Starter

So I installed the Sanus VMPL3 today. It's so much better with heavier gauge metal than the previous brand I tried. The adjustable back plate allows lots of options to make sure you get a good attachment to the wall - I was able to hit 3 studs and didn't have to use any hollow wall anchors. That thing is going nowhere.

Bit of a side note - the mounting points on my Panasonic ZT series TV are slightly recessed - about 1/8." Because of this you are supposed to use the included plastic spacers however then I felt like the longer screw didn't get enough bite into the threaded inserts on the TV. The shorter ones with no spacers were even worse. in the end, I ended up cutting about 1/2" off the end of the longer screws and used a couple of washers to fill the gap between the mounting holes and the hanger brackets.

That's my story - your millage may vary and I accept no responsibility for your install if you choose to replicate my method.

Cheers
Steven
post #20 of 35 Old 10-20-2013, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargod View Post

65" Panasonic?

This is the one I went with... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LL5JDA/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If it's not up to snuff I'll check out the Costco one. $130 isn't too bad. I can't believe some of the ones that Magnolia was showing were upwards of $600. I use to work at Best Buy so I know what kind of markup those things have. I remember buying $150 Monster Cables for 35-40 bucks.

Cheers
Steven

Quote:

OK... Just discovered the wall mount I ordered does not fit the 65ZT60 mount spacing.
Fortunately the same company makes an accessory kit to extend it's range. http://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Adapter-Bracket-Extender-1UU/dp/B002TKS0S8

Cheers
Steven

What is the VESA pattern for the 65ZT60? The specs for the 60VT60 indicate 300mm x 500mm and this mount is good up to 400mm x 600mm. How does that adapter even work with this mount?

I am glad I found this thread as I am looking at mounts right now for the Plasma I have coming next week. I was looking at PID 8586 and PID 8588 from monoprice which both look to be pretty robust mounts, the former being a single arm but I like the extension as I need to clear my fireplace.

post #21 of 35 Old 10-20-2013, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I added the amazon one in your link which is sold by an amazon merchant to my cart and the price went up $14 and the free amazon Prime shipping went away. Shady.

post #22 of 35 Old 10-20-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:

So I installed the Sanus VMPL3 today. It's so much better with heavier gauge metal than the previous brand I tried. The adjustable back plate allows lots of options to make sure you get a good attachment to the wall - I was able to hit 3 studs and didn't have to use any hollow wall anchors. That thing is going nowhere.

Bit of a side note - the mounting points on my Panasonic ZT series TV are slightly recessed - about 1/8." Because of this you are supposed to use the included plastic spacers however then I felt like the longer screw didn't get enough bite into the threaded inserts on the TV. The shorter ones with no spacers were even worse. in the end, I ended up cutting about 1/2" off the end of the longer screws and used a couple of washers to fill the gap between the mounting holes and the hanger brackets.

That's my story - your millage may vary and I accept no responsibility for your install if you choose to replicate my method.

Cheers
Steven

I will always recommend Sanus mounts. Their versatility makes them worth the money alone. Being able to expand the mount to accommodate larger tvs (both horizontally and with mounting hole spacers) is something not a lot of people think about. I do think it gets a bit ridiculous with the fully articulating mounts but for a flat or tilt mount their prices are always reasonable and their build quality is second to none. Omnimount would be the only other company I'd go with (and currently have).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #23 of 35 Old 10-20-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Cheers
Steven

The longer screws didn't get enough bite into the threaded inserts on the TV but you ended up cutting .5" off them? Since we both ended up with the same mount, I am trying to fully understand. Thanks.

Ron
post #24 of 35 Old 10-21-2013, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

What is the VESA pattern for the 65ZT60? The specs for the 60VT60 indicate 300mm x 500mm and this mount is good up to 400mm x 600mm. How does that adapter even work with this mount?.

The adapters are basically flat plates that bolt to the mounting holes on the wall mount swing arm - But here's the thing. You don't need them for the 65ZT60. I found that the VideoSecu one I originally went with fit the mounting holes in the 65zt60 without the adapter plates. Here's the mounting hole spacing from the manual - sorry, about the quality. It's actually a photo of a PDF version of the TV manual.

What threw me off was the 65ZT60 horizontal measurement is 684mm and the VideoSecu says it only accommodates up to 600mm. But, as I said, it worked fine although once hung on the extending arm, the rails are very close to the ends.
Quote:

I am glad I found this thread as I am looking at mounts right now for the Plasma I have coming next week. I was looking at PID 8586 and PID 8588 from monoprice which both look to be pretty robust mounts, the former being a single arm but I like the extension as I need to clear my fireplace.

I can't speak to these as I ultimately ended up going with a Sanus mount which I found to feel much more secure and flexible. The ability to extend the back plate to mount to three studs gave me a lot of confidence that it's not going to fall.

Cheers
Steven
post #25 of 35 Old 10-21-2013, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The longer screws didn't get enough bite into the threaded inserts on the TV but you ended up cutting .5" off them? Since we both ended up with the same mount, I am trying to fully understand. Thanks.

Ron

HI, Ron.

I'll try to explain more clearly.

I originally tried just mounting the rails flat on the back of the TV but the screw holes are recessed about 1/8" and this meant the shorter screws (M8x16mm) did not get enough bite.
I then tried the longer screws (M8x40mm) which ended up being too long with the rails flat against the back of the TV.
I then tried the longer screws with the included spacers between the rails and the back of the TV. Again, I felt the screws were not going in far enough for my sense of well being.

In the end, I cut about 1/2" off the longer bolts (effectively making them (M8x30mm) and put the rails flat on the back of the TV with 2 washers between the rails and the TV to make up the 1/8" recess the mounting holes are in. If you go this route and don't have the ability to cut the bolts yourself then pick up four M8x30mm from your hardware store of choice along with a two washers for each.

Is this more clear? Much of this will make more sense when you get the mount and TV on hand.
Let me know and I can try te get some pictures. Here's a link to the manual for the mount.

http://content.abt.com/documents/8216/VMPL3_assmbly_instrctns.pdf

Cheers
Steven
post #26 of 35 Old 10-22-2013, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

What is the VESA pattern for the 65ZT60? The specs for the 60VT60 indicate 300mm x 500mm and this mount is good up to 400mm x 600mm. How does that adapter even work with this mount?.

The adapters are basically flat plates that bolt to the mounting holes on the wall mount swing arm - But here's the thing. You don't need them for the 65ZT60. I found that the VideoSecu one I originally went with fit the mounting holes in the 65zt60 without the adapter plates. Here's the mounting hole spacing from the manual - sorry, about the quality. It's actually a photo of a PDF version of the TV manual.

What threw me off was the 65ZT60 horizontal measurement is 684mm and the VideoSecu says it only accommodates up to 600mm. But, as I said, it worked fine although once hung on the extending arm, the rails are very close to the ends.
Quote:

I can't speak to these as I ultimately ended up going with a Sanus mount which I found to feel much more secure and flexible. The ability to extend the back plate to mount to three studs gave me a lot of confidence that it's not going to fall.

Cheers
Steven

Give Greenshot a try. I use it all the time.

Monoprice has some UL certified mounts for larger TV's coming in about a month that look nicer than their basic mounts too. I may give this one a whirl.

boe likes this.

post #27 of 35 Old 10-23-2013, 05:25 AM

Quote:

HI, Ron.

I'll try to explain more clearly.

I originally tried just mounting the rails flat on the back of the TV but the screw holes are recessed about 1/8" and this meant the shorter screws (M8x16mm) did not get enough bite.
I then tried the longer screws (M8x40mm) which ended up being too long with the rails flat against the back of the TV.
I then tried the longer screws with the included spacers between the rails and the back of the TV. Again, I felt the screws were not going in far enough for my sense of well being.

In the end, I cut about 1/2" off the longer bolts (effectively making them (M8x30mm) and put the rails flat on the back of the TV with 2 washers between the rails and the TV to make up the 1/8" recess the mounting holes are in. If you go this route and don't have the ability to cut the bolts yourself then pick up four M8x30mm from your hardware store of choice along with a two washers for each.

Is this more clear? Much of this will make more sense when you get the mount and TV on hand.
Let me know and I can try te get some pictures. Here's a link to the manual for the mount.

http://content.abt.com/documents/8216/VMPL3_assmbly_instrctns.pdf

Cheers
Steven

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. I still haven't mounted my TV. Upon evaluation, the TV had too much fan noise and I'm going through Best Buys replacement process. The new TV is scheduled to be delivered on Sunday.

Ron
post #28 of 35 Old 10-23-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. I still haven't mounted my TV. Upon evaluation, the TV had too much fan noise and I'm going through Best Buys replacement process. The new TV is scheduled to be delivered on Sunday.

Ron

Yeah - Mine has some fan noise too. It doesn't really bother me all that much as it's inaudible when watching a show and my previous TV was a Sony SXRD rear projection. It had a fan too and maybe I just got used to it.

Good luck

Cheers
Steven
post #29 of 35 Old 10-23-2013, 01:38 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Give Greenshot a try. I use it all the time.

Monoprice has some UL certified mounts for larger TV's coming in about a month that look nicer than their basic mounts too. I may give this one a whirl.

Thanks - I was just looking for one. It looks like that would work on the F8500 and still fairly tight to the wall.
post #30 of 35 Old 11-05-2013, 09:23 AM

Got the wall mount up! I was able to hit 4 wall studs cleanly. In order to do that, the mount is slightly off center from the center of the wall by an inch or two.
Which is okay because I can slide the TV over to compensate. Everything worked out very well. The mount is very heavy duty and well made.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page