post #91 of 113 Old 07-26-2014, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
My 60F5300 definitely gets pinker the longer it is left on. When first powered up I can only see pink at the bottom and right of the screen, it's noticeable but not terrible. After a couple of hours it seems the whole tv has pink tint except the center.
could be related to a charge build-up or simply related to the panel heating up? my panel reaches temperatures of 51 degrees C or so (found on the screen that shows panel hours/MRT)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 113 Old 07-26-2014, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus933 View Post
Just on the 60" Pentile panel or all sizes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh128 View Post
Just the pentile panels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzdocxx View Post
Is that right ?

A relief for me if true as I opted for the 51" model of the 5300.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silencer51 View Post
Just got a call from Samsung's repair center, apparently even the new panel (2nd replacement) has the same pink push issue towards the bottom and right parts of the screen. It must be a manufacturing issue. That's a bummer
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxfury2xx View Post
From what I can gather it seems as if this pink issue is happening to the 60" screens only. Am I understanding this correctly? If so, then I think I'm definitely gonna pick up the 51" version. Thank you.
Quote:
Nope. Mine is a 51" model.

OK thanks everyone, funny how difficult it can be to ascertain what's going on, just think how much harder it would be if not for this forum.

So the 51" has the same problem then.

I picked up mine yesterday, was blown away by the picture. I set it up in place of my 42" Panasonic which I purchased in December 2007.

I was very surprised at how much heavier my 42" Panny was compared to the new 51" Samsung, wow !

The screen is glossy but with the TV turned on I don't notice it.

Very happy so far. Couldn't seem to burn the AVS Calibration disc down to the regular DVD format so we didn't get that far. Ignorance is bliss, maybe I should just enjoy the new set and not go looking for problems ! ! ! There was a slight dent in the sheet metal in the back of the set but I don't want to hassle with a return for something minor like that.

PS Just looked up the specs, the old 42" was 77lbs and 92llbs with stand. The new Samsung is 39lbs and 43lbs with stand.

Last edited by zzdocxx; 07-26-2014 at 12:01 PM.
post #93 of 113 Old 07-26-2014, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 80
No, its incorrect to say the 51" has the same problem. MANY people on this forum have gone through multiple 60" sets and it seems at least 90% of them reporting here have the pink tint issue.

There are very few reports of the 51" set having the issue. Im in Louisiana, and I have personally spotted the pink on a Best Buy display pentile 60" Samsung. It was glaringly obvious on a white screen, especially when an informed eye is looking for it. I bought my 51" 5300 the same day and have had it for almost a month, and the first thing I did was to check for screen uniformity and tint issues. The set is beautiful, the whitest whites Ive seen on a plasma. No pink tint at all-- same goes for my 51" F4500 set.

So no, the pentile panel 60" F5300s are a completely different pixel layout, scaler, and panel than the 51" F5300, of which the vast majority of owners have reported no such problem. It seemingly is a large scale manufacturing defect on the 60" pentile models. If anyone has it on the 51" version, its just bad luck as there is absolutely no evidence indicating it is wide spread like the 60".
post #94 of 113 Old 07-26-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
OK thanks everyone, funny how difficult it can be to ascertain what's going on, just think how much harder it would be if not for this forum.

So the 51" has the same problem then.
No, it does not, see above post. There are very few reports of the 51" models having this issue. Mine has better than Clorox bleached whites-- but I have personally witnessed the issue on a 60" model.
post #95 of 113 Old 07-26-2014, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
First of all, my 51" is a 2013 F5500 model. However, the F5000, F5300 and F5500 all use the same panels.

Back when I first got my F5500, I had visited a lot of showrooms and noted that quite a few of the 51 inchers exhibited minor uniformity issues with white and gray test slides - still, overall much better uniformity than competing LEDs however.

My own TV was almost perfect in that regard. However, since the original panel developed a fault, it has been replaced with 2014 produced panels (twice); both of those replacement panels show heavy tinting across the bottom and right sides of the screen.

I'll have to decide on Monday whether I'll accept the TV back as is or request yet another panel replacement, hoping I'll hit the jackpot and get a better one!
zzdocxx likes this.
post #96 of 113 Old 07-26-2014, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
First of all, my 51" is a 2013 F5500 model. However, the F5000, F5300 and F5500 all use the same panels.

Back when I first got my F5500, I had visited a lot of showrooms and noted that quite a few of the 51 inchers exhibited minor uniformity issues with white and gray test slides - still, overall much better uniformity than competing LEDs however.

My own TV was almost perfect in that regard. However, since the original panel developed a fault, it has been replaced with 2014 produced panels (twice); both of those replacement panels show heavy tinting across the bottom and right sides of the screen.

I'll have to decide on Monday whether I'll accept the TV back as is or request yet another panel replacement, hoping I'll hit the jackpot and get a better one!
Both PN60F5300's I've had experience with had pink tint on the bottom. In which case watching movies with letterbox bars is a non-issue (50+% of my viewing). Tint on the side would be unacceptable for me.
zzdocxx likes this.
post #97 of 113 Old 07-26-2014, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yeah, it is a deal breaker, especially when you've had one with near perfect white uniformity for a whole year, like me.
zzdocxx likes this.
post #98 of 113 Old 07-26-2014, 05:06 PM

The pic on mine looks fab to me.

Like I said, maybe best for me to not go chasing after pink tints, missing pixels and the like.

post #99 of 113 Old 07-26-2014, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
So no, the pentile panel 60" F5300s are a completely different pixel layout, scaler, and panel than the 51" F5300, of which the vast majority of owners have reported no such problem. It seemingly is a large scale manufacturing defect on the 60" pentile models. If anyone has it on the 51" version, its just bad luck as there is absolutely no evidence indicating it is wide spread like the 60".
The 2014 64H5000 doesn't seem to have this issue, so I don't think it is directly related to the panel being pentile.

Quote:
The pic on mine looks fab to me.

Like I said, maybe best for me to not go chasing after pink tints, missing pixels and the like.

Trust me, when you have a pink tinted panel, it's impossible not to notice it.
zzdocxx likes this.
post #100 of 113 Old 07-26-2014, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Really impressed with the way the 51F5300 handles SD video, even from a crappy composite cable. I think it handles SD video even better than my F4500, which is odd, because the 4500 looks much better for 480p EDTV game systems.
I been auditioning (not intentionally but that's how it ends up) a number of LCD TVs for the bedroom but they all pretty muck reek compared to my plasma E7000. No matter how much manufacturers over engineer them they still come across as one dimensional with gimmicky black levels. I've tried and tried to come to love them but it's not working. The latest was the highly regarded 2014 Vizio M series.

I'm encouraged by your comments on the PQ of SD content as I watch a combination of both SD/DVD and HD titles. A lot of great content is in SD content and some of it will probably never be in HD given the source material. Add to that your comments on the white levels and you may well be the impetus for me getting the 51" F5300 over the 51" F8500 and saving $1150. This will be a secondary TV and I think the threshold will more than be met with the F5300. Yeah, it's not like I set the bar very high with the LCDs.

It astonishing how awful these televisions look at a Best Buy or Cosco but it must be even more astonishing how they come to life out of the showroom lights. I still may try to get a 64" F8500 as an upgrade from the E7000 while I still can. It's a lot of money but it'll be a while before OLEDs become mainstream (hopefully they'll make it) and it's too late for a Panasonic plasma at reasonable prices.

One concern I do have is the aesthetics of the television, I hate scratch prone black glossy plastic so hopefully the bezel isn't as prone to scratches as it appears.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #101 of 113 Old 07-27-2014, 04:31 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

It astonishing how awful these televisions look at a Best Buy or Cosco but it must be even more astonishing how they come to life out of the showroom lights.
Intentionally done to make you buy LED sets
Or is too reflective with all those lights on the showroom floor.

And that's why many people are misinformed about plasma's, since all they see is brightness on LED, and make the plasma display look dull and dimmed.
zzdocxx likes this.
post #102 of 113 Old 07-27-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by acostapimps View Post
Intentionally done to make you buy LED sets
Or is too reflective with all those lights on the showroom floor.

And that's why many people are misinformed about plasma's, since all they see is brightness on LED, and make the plasma display look dull and dimmed.
In this case it's too reflective, it looks very washed out. With no coating or filtering the F5300 is probably not the best choice for bright environments, unfortunately the only plasma option now available is quite a bit more expensive if you want a one that's a good performer in such environments. In my case it's a moot point and actually an advantage as I find it somewhat appealing that I don't have to worry about any filtering between me and the ignited gasses.

Samsung PN60E7000
OPPO BDP-103 Universal Disc Player
MartinLogan Motion Vision Gloss Black 5-Channel Soundbar
MartinLogan Dynamo 700 10-inch Wireless Ready Subwoofer
post #103 of 113 Old 07-27-2014, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
In this case it's too reflective, it looks very washed out. With no coating or filtering the F5300 is probably not the best choice for bright environments, unfortunately the only plasma option now available is quite a bit more expensive if you want a one that's a good performer in such environments. In my case it's a moot point and actually an advantage as I find it somewhat appealing that I don't have to worry about any filtering between me and the ignited gasses.
I agree that the F5300 will probably not be the best choice for bright rooms due to the reflective panel. These do come defaulted with the Eco-Sensor set to ON. Turning it off should be the first step in deciding on this unit's brightness.
zzdocxx likes this.
post #104 of 113 Old 07-27-2014, 08:12 AM

^ Thanks, I do notice it is significantly more reflective than my old Panasonic. But once a program is running I don't notice it.

About the pink. Not sure if I am imagining it, but there were a few commercials with a large expanse of white background, so I paused the screen there. I <<think>> I saw a faint bit of pinkish from the lower right hand side, same location as someone here posted a photo.

But very hard to see and not noticeable except on a white screen, even then almost imperceptible.

I don't really want to hassle with taking it back. This unit doesn't have any appreciable hum and the pixels all seem to be fine. What to do ? ? ? I think there's only one more of these left at the Sears where I got it.

Last edited by zzdocxx; 07-27-2014 at 10:05 AM.
post #105 of 113 Old 07-27-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I been auditioning (not intentionally but that's how it ends up) a number of LCD TVs for the bedroom but they all pretty muck reek compared to my plasma E7000. No matter how much manufacturers over engineer them they still come across as one dimensional with gimmicky black levels. I've tried and tried to come to love them but it's not working. The latest was the highly regarded 2014 Vizio M series.

I'm encouraged by your comments on the PQ of SD content as I watch a combination of both SD/DVD and HD titles. A lot of great content is in SD content and some of it will probably never be in HD given the source material. Add to that your comments on the white levels and you may well be the impetus for me getting the 51" F5300 over the 51" F8500 and saving $1150. This will be a secondary TV and I think the threshold will more than be met with the F5300. Yeah, it's not like I set the bar very high with the LCDs.

It astonishing how awful these televisions look at a Best Buy or Cosco but it must be even more astonishing how they come to life out of the showroom lights. I still may try to get a 64" F8500 as an upgrade from the E7000 while I still can. It's a lot of money but it'll be a while before OLEDs become mainstream (hopefully they'll make it) and it's too late for a Panasonic plasma at reasonable prices.

One concern I do have is the aesthetics of the television, I hate scratch prone black glossy plastic so hopefully the bezel isn't as prone to scratches as it appears.
So far my experience with the 51" F5300 in my living room has been great, it puts out a beautiful picture with both Blu-Ray and DVD (from a Sony Blu Ray player) and better than expected PQ from an SD DirecTV DVR using composite cable.

If this is for a bedroom and you are viewing from 8' back or more, I highly, highly recommend the 51F4500 set as I think it puts out an astonishingly good picture for HD content and DVD content. Id say I even prefer HD broadcast TV on it to the 5300. Its also good from DirecTV-- my comment about the 5300 having good SD still stands, and the F4500 hangs with it there as well-- I think its my GEFEN TV SVideo to HDMI adapter that is hampering the look of the DirecTV SD box to my F4500. Strangely, like the 5300, it looks better straight composite, without the converter box.
post #106 of 113 Old 07-27-2014, 06:02 PM

I just noticed today there is an almost inaudible high pitched hiss. It reminds me of the hiss from noise cancelling headphones which I can't stand. Except this isn't so loud as that and I may be able to tolerate it.

So what's the loud hum sound like, so I will know if I have it ?

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by zzdocxx; 07-27-2014 at 06:54 PM.
post #107 of 113 Old 08-02-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just picked up the 60F5300BF.

Do I need to wait 100 hours to get this thing off of Standard mode? It dims horribly.
Just looking for settings to leave it at/near for the first 100 hours before I calibrate...
post #108 of 113 Old 08-02-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhahne View Post

Do I need to wait 100 hours to get this thing off of Standard mode? It dims horribly.
Just looking for settings to leave it at/near for the first 100 hours before I calibrate...
no, use whatever settings you want from the get go

mine is used as a gaming TV (PN51F5300AF) and IR is not a concern (it goes away as quickly as it forms)
post #109 of 113 Old 08-02-2014, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhahne View Post

I think Standard is the best mode after adjusting the picture menu controls. But it will be dim unless you turn cell light up to 20. And have eco sensor and energy saving off. And dynamic contrast on medium or high. And adjust brightness, contrast, and gamma accordingly to taste. The 5300 is very bright once you turn the cell light up. Otherwise, the Standard mode preset is indeed too dim and dull.
post #110 of 113 Old 08-02-2014, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
So far my experience with the 51" F5300 in my living room has been great, it puts out a beautiful picture with both Blu-Ray and DVD (from a Sony Blu Ray player) and better than expected PQ from an SD DirecTV DVR using composite cable.

If this is for a bedroom and you are viewing from 8' back or more, I highly, highly recommend the 51F4500 set as I think it puts out an astonishingly good picture for HD content and DVD content. Id say I even prefer HD broadcast TV on it to the 5300. Its also good from DirecTV-- my comment about the 5300 having good SD still stands, and the F4500 hangs with it there as well-- I think its my GEFEN TV SVideo to HDMI adapter that is hampering the look of the DirecTV SD box to my F4500. Strangely, like the 5300, it looks better straight composite, without the converter box.
Absolutely agree with you. I also recently purchased both a 51F5300 and 51F4500 when I learned of the impending demise of plasma. Best bang for the buck so far, especially compared to overpriced LEDs with inferiority issues. At $529 and $399, these models offer the best value and performance. And I agree, local HD channels look best on the 4500, both cable/sat and OTA antenna. And these Samsungs have very nice program info and channel guide when using a local antenna.
post #111 of 113 Old 08-03-2014, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have a 60F5300AF. What is the difference between that and a 60F5300BF? Model year?

post #112 of 113 Old 08-03-2014, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've seen folks here post about the firmware updates...
I have v1002 on my newly purchased set...

Went to Samsung.com, and there is no firmware there. Is there somewhere else this is available?

ok i actually just found firmware downloads under the F5300AF link...
I have the F5300BF...

but the firmware says it support the 5300 series.
has anyone used this on the BF model?

Last edited by brianhahne; 08-03-2014 at 08:47 PM.
post #113 of 113 Unread Today, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I am considering upgrading my pn43f4500 for the pn51f5300. Anything I should be concerned about?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn60f5300 60 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51d490 51 Inch 3d 600hz Plasma Hdtv 3d Kit , Samsung Pn51f5300 51 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread