New 65" to 70" dispaly? Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 10-02-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope this is OK since I also posted this on the LCD side.

Hi. I have been out of tho loop on all this stuff since I bought my JVC years ago. With so much to choose from it is pretty overwhelming.

So here is what I am looking for. What is the best display around 70" in the $2000 +/- range? I am currently looking at a plasma set and a LED unit. The plasma is the Panasonic TCP65VT60. The LED is Sony KDL 70R550A. I am open to other suggestions.

Plasma vs LCD vs LED?

My room is pretty big 24' square. We sit about 14" back. There are several windows and with the JVC DLP display I tend to close the blinds on sunny day.

Used mostly for movies, HDTV (lots of sports) and some gaming when my son is home from college.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-02-2013, 11:00 AM

Liked: 12
For what it's worth, returned the Sony and have a Panasonic st60 coming. Sony had clouding, flash lighting with ok picture quality. Hoping for better. Good luck.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-02-2013, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I have been reading a lot about those types of issues. My wife happens to be very picky about picture quality (even more than me0 so I am leaning towards plasma.

Why the ST over the VT?
post #4 of 17 Old 10-02-2013, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
A couple reasons I could imagine: Slightly brighter and monetary savings.
shenaniganz08 likes this.
post #5 of 17 Old 10-03-2013, 03:21 AM

Vinnie those were my reasons, let's hope I made the right choice.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-03-2013, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Ozzie3. It looks like the ST and VT are pretty close in price at some online dealers. Would that have changed your mind?

Tell me more about the ST being brighter.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-03-2013, 05:34 AM

I went with Amazon for the st too afraid of dealing with others. I went strictly by reviews, hard to tell in best buy showrooms. Have to wait for the weekend to see if I like the st. If you read these threads enough you may never like anything.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-03-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Your last line made me laugh because it is so true. It makes the decision much harder because it is impossible to see the sets live close by.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-03-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 560
imo...

if you want best overall picture quality, buy a plasma. no LCD/LED i've ever seen(which does not include some of the uber expensive full arrays that are no longer available anyway) has even been close to looking good in a dark room. LCD/LED is acceptable only in situations that require constant on scenarios, will only be used in very bright rooms, or where picture quality is not a concern(i have an LED in my bathroom for example).

do not buy an LED simply because it's available in a larger size. if you 'need' an image larger than 65" then the answer is front projection, not LED. there might be that small niche where you need a huge display to work in a very bright room, then the 80" led's make sense, but that's it. i'd still take a projector on a 100"+ screen with some ambient lighting that washes out the blacks over a 80" LED that never had blacks to begin with. and with some good control of lighting, you can certainly get plasma levels of picture quality with front projection. i happen to prefer the image on my jvc x35 over my samsung f8500. of course, the brighter the room, the more likely the plasma will look better.

so, to sum up

65" or smaller:
-get a plasma, never even think twice about

larger than 65":
-get a front projection setup if you can control lighting
-consider LED if it will never be used in the dark

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #10 of 17 Old 10-04-2013, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your opinions. The room will never be completely dark, except at night which is a good portion of the year in New England. In the day, say for a college football game, I can close the blinds but they will not block 100% of the light. Maybe 75%. Will plasma be better for sports?

When I asked this on the LED side I was told passive 3D that many LEDs use is better than active on plasma. Do you have a view on that. I will add 3D is not really a major concern since my wife hates it smile.gif

Why did you choose the Samsung over Panasonic?
post #11 of 17 Old 10-04-2013, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
In fierce gt's case, it was all that was available at the time. smile.gif Plasma should provide better motion resolution and less motion blur, so it should be fine for sports. Some have a problem with ABL aka automatic brightness limiting while many do not...it is apparently less noticeable on the Samsung. If you can block out 75% of the light, you shouldn't have any problem with the Panasonic, and its deeper blacks win me over every time (ZT60 in my case).
post #12 of 17 Old 10-04-2013, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I am hoping to spend some time looking over the weekend. I have an unusual situation where my wife is more picky about image (and sometimes sound) quality that I am. Other than through cable the rest of my content will be from an Oppo 105 which I like very much.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-06-2013, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

So I bought the Panasonic TCP65VT60. After looking at the various sets live it was a pretty easy choice to go with plasma. It was close between the vt60 and the Samsung f8500. My wife and I both liked the vt60 better. now if I had the money we might have jumped up to the Panasonic zt60.

Looking forward to delivery this week.

I guess I now have to start reading the "owners" thread. Any advice?
post #14 of 17 Old 10-06-2013, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhman View Post

Thanks for your opinions. The room will never be completely dark, except at night which is a good portion of the year in New England. In the day, say for a college football game, I can close the blinds but they will not block 100% of the light. Maybe 75%. Will plasma be better for sports?

When I asked this on the LED side I was told passive 3D that many LEDs use is better than active on plasma. Do you have a view on that. I will add 3D is not really a major concern since my wife hates it smile.gif

Why did you choose the Samsung over Panasonic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

In fierce gt's case, it was all that was available at the time. smile.gif Plasma should provide better motion resolution and less motion blur, so it should be fine for sports. Some have a problem with ABL aka automatic brightness limiting while many do not...it is apparently less noticeable on the Samsung. If you can block out 75% of the light, you shouldn't have any problem with the Panasonic, and its deeper blacks win me over every time (ZT60 in my case).

vinnie is sort of right. i had seen the f8500 and st60 a few times. the vt60 was 'on display only' at one store in the city and i would have had to wait up to a month to get the zt60(which was really the panny i was interested in).

i've seen them all in a store setting since, and to be honest i'm happy with my choice. if anything, i would have gone with the ST60 and saved some money, the f8500 was about 300 less than the vt60 so i definitely wouldn't have made that switch. i do still wonder about zt60, but it wasn't as much of an improvement over the vt60(or f8500) as i was hoping. it's still not CRT blacks, which is what i would want for over 3grand. the one thing i like about the f8500 is that it's great in all conditions. at worst it's like the third best in the dark(behind the vt/zt) yet it's still among the best in bright conditions too. it's LED brightness with plasma blacks.

now that i upgraded my projector, i don't use the tv for much of anything anymore anyway. my projector gives me much deeper blacks than the plasmas when i can control all the lighting in the room anyway.

i would still recommend the st60, vt60, zt60 and f8500 to anybody that's looking. you may disagree on the order, but they are for sure the top 4 models on the market today

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #15 of 17 Old 10-06-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Fierce. We were able to see the st60, vt60, zt60 and f8500 all right next to each other. The f8500 was significantly brighter than the other three. At first we were drawn to the bright picture but after sometime were more drawn to the Panasonic picture. All of them were wonderful.
post #16 of 17 Old 10-07-2013, 03:48 AM

Nhman, can't go wrong with your choice just hope for a quiet set. I'm up and running with my 65st60. The buyer's remorse never came. Bright picture, no buzz and pic quality. Since the VT is a step up it should be awesome. Love to hear that the bride gets involved. Enjoy.
post #17 of 17 Old 10-07-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Ozzzie, Looking forward to receiving the VT this week. I am keeping my fingers crossed about the noise. Unless it is really loud I suspect it will still be quieter than the fans in the JVC DLP set I am currently using. Still I am hoping for one of the very quiet units.

Just in case anyone is interested I ordered it from Paul's TV. I tried to get Best Buy to match the price but they wouldn't even though Paul's is an authorized dealer and has B&M stores in NH.

It is nice to have my wife involved. She really didn't want to go with plasma because she wanted a bigger screen smile.gif After seeing the picture quality compared to LED it was an easy choice for her.

Fierce, I should add another bit of information regarding my choice. The prices I was receiving for the f8500 were much closer to the ZT than the VT.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Kdl 70r550a 70 Inch Led Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page