Panasonic 65v10 3 years old. "Lines down my display " Panny says throw it away!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-03-2013, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This tv is 3 years old with hardly any hours on it. image.jpg 1432k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (1.40 MB, 97 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2013, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

image.jpg 522k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (522.0 KB, 37 views)
Old 10-04-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Who at Panasonic did you speak to? Have you contacted a local authorized Panasonic repair facility? They would have a better idea on what the problem is and if it is cost effective to repair it then an under trained customer service rep.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Old 10-04-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Had tech send pics to panasonic and panny said throw it away?Lots of $ wasted I have AE 3000 projector in basement also so no hours hardly on this TV!Very disappointed with panny loyalty dept. offered me a similar tv. For 1900.00$ but I can get better price at retailer here.Ive supported panny forever but not anymore !
Old 10-04-2013, 04:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadadude View Post

Had tech send pics to panasonic and panny said throw it away?Lots of $ wasted I have AE 3000 projector in basement also so no hours hardly on this TV!Very disappointed with panny loyalty dept. offered me a similar tv. For 1900.00$ but I can get better price at retailer here.Ive supported panny forever but not anymore !

I have heard many horror stories with Panny which is one reason I didn't get the ae8000 recently. People waiting six months to get there projector back from a warranty repair etc, had me decide to deal with another company.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

If I paid 1500 for this TV it wouldn't be as big a deal.But I paid 3995 plus taxes that's lots s money for 3 years?I will never spend that kinda money on panny electronics again. So people take this into consideration!Then panny loyalty offer me a price on new TV for more than I can get for TV off the street.Thought panny would step up and help me out?Quality has gone way down and they are making smart TVs now lol
Old 10-04-2013, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Sadly, the only other options in plasma are Samsung and LG.
Old 10-04-2013, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Sadly, the only other options in plasma are Samsung and LG.

For what it is worth I us an lg px950 plasma and the only time I had an issue with it LG where very good at getting it fixed in an extremely fast and friendly manner. LG though in many areas do not have the best build quality (there other electronics) I however have not found this to be the case with my plasma.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:00 PM

Statistically speaking and anecdotes aside, I think the last Consumer Reports poll was conducted in 2011 showing Panasonic as the most reliable. That could be different now. smile.gif
Old 10-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Statistically speaking and anecdotes aside, I think the last Consumer Reports poll was conducted in 2011 showing Panasonic as the most reliable. That could be different now. smile.gif

Which of course has nothing to do with how they do treat there customers when there is an issue.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:45 PM

Of course. Customer service is an important factor. I haven't seen any similar comparisons rating customer support on a broader basis.
Old 10-05-2013, 03:55 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:

If I paid 1500 for this TV it wouldn't be as big a deal.But I paid 3995 plus taxes that's lots s money for 3 years?I will never spend that kinda money on panny electronics again. So people take this into consideration!Then panny loyalty offer me a price on new TV for more than I can get for TV off the street.Thought panny would step up and help me out?Quality has gone way down and they are making smart TVs now lol

It sucks that your TV developed a problem, but can you name one company that will cover a defect or "help you out" when the item has been out of warranty for 3 years?

Panasonic makes the most reliable TV in the industry and they have the lowest defective/failure rate of all TV manufacturers, but unfortunately you fell into that unlucky 3%.

About the pictures - You cannot properly diagnose a flat panel TV just by looking at pictures and pronounce it dead and unrepairable. Did you have a qualified technician come to your house? Did he remove the rear cover of the TV and do any testing or diagnosis? It's possible that those lines are simply caused by a loose ribbon cable connector along the edge of the panel. Re-seating the connectors might just clear the problem up (it has for other people who have posted similar pictures). If the panel is indeed bad then yeah, the cost to replace the panel module is by far the most expensive repair on any flat panel TV, if the panel is even still available.

I would not give up on that TV just yet.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 10-05-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Did you have a qualified technician come to your house? Did he remove the rear cover of the TV and do any testing or diagnosis? It's possible that those lines are simply caused by a loose ribbon cable connector along the edge of the panel. Re-seating the connectors might just clear the problem up (it has for other people who have posted similar pictures). If the panel is indeed bad then yeah, the cost to replace the panel module is by far the most expensive repair on any flat panel TV, if the panel is even still available.

That was my point exactly. A certified tech from an authorized dealer would recommend a diagnostic test of the TV. Sending pictures to Panasonic? In my 20 plus years in the consumer electronics industry, I've never heard of such a thing. rolleyes.gif

Ian

Old 10-05-2013, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Panasonic makes the most reliable TV in the industry and they have the lowest defective/failure rate of all TV manufacturers, but unfortunately you fell into that unlucky 3%.

I would 2nd you on the fact that Panny's are the most reliable. Even though it is not a flat screen, I have a CT 32SF37, big tube tv that I have had since December of 2000. Not one problem with it and it has been moved across the country twice and was in storage for 9 months. Not a problem ever.

I had a JVC that I bought back in like 1983, I was younger and bought the extended warranty. Good thing I did, I had that television in the shop, under warranty, at least 3 times. It would turn itself on and off all the time. It was a real lemon but that was before the lemon laws.
Old 10-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 125
The plasma screen is bad. Not economical to repair (needs new display panel.)

Any time you have fixed lines or bars on a plasma panel, it is the panel itself that is bad, with the rare exception of solid black bars which can be loose connections or bad C/SU/SD boards. That is not the case for this TV.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post

The plasma screen is bad. Not economical to repair (needs new display panel.)

Any time you have fixed lines or bars on a plasma panel, it is the panel itself that is bad, with the rare exception of solid black bars which can be loose connections or bad C/SU/SD boards. That is not the case for this TV.

Then I guess the lesson here is, that if you're going to spend that much on a new TV, buy an extended warranty.

Ian wink.gif

Old 10-06-2013, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Extra warranty wouldn't have covered it ,just over 3 years old now.I figure if I buy top tv it should be fine for at least 8 years maybe more.Now with all the ******** on these TVs are they going to have more problems?All I want is great pic don't want smart garbage!
Old 10-06-2013, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Then I guess the lesson here is, that if you're going to spend that much on a new TV, buy an extended warranty.

Not really.

Failures of electronics and other components can be put on a bathtub curve plot. Typically failures occur either really early, say within 6 months of ownership which is covered by the standard 12 month warranty, or very late, around 5-10 years after ownership. A very small percentage (typically 3%) fail within 5 years.

Therefore, most extended warranties are well past being "not worth it"! A big box store 3 year warranty costing ~$250 on a $2,000 TV would pay out less than $60 per average customer, which make them one of the worst value for money insurance policies out there.

Honestly, if your TV fails within those 3 years, you have to chalk it up to bad luck. You can buy some cheaper warranty plans, which may be more worth it. For example Costco, if you buy with a credit card you can get 5 years for $60 I believe (1yr costco+1yr credit card+3yr extended.) That is getting to the point of being worth it, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

Panasonic used to offer a full 5 year warranty on their plasma TVs for free. They were that confident in lifespan. Sadly the big box stores got in the way. They make pennies on every TV, and make most of the profit on the warranties (along with other accessories) -- which wouldn't sell if Panasonic were offering warranties for free!
Old 10-06-2013, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Extra warranty wouldn't have covered it ,just over 3 years old now.I figure if I buy top tv it should be fine for at least 8 years maybe more.Now with all the ******** on these TVs are they going to have more problems?All I want is great pic don't want smart garbage!

Just because your set failed doesn't mean that Panasonic doesn't make a quality product. Panasonic TV's failure rate is 2-3% in three years. I use to wholesale their car audio products and they were my most reliable brand. I have an entry level PDP that is three and half years old, gets plenty of use and works like a charm. No IR issues, or noticeable buzzing and the picture looks better then when I first bought it. If you purchase a new set today the odds are excellent that it will give you many years of reliable service. If your not comfortable spending a few grand on a new TV, their are much less expensive options that will provide you with more features and even a better picture then your V10. Shoot, I still have my old Panasonic CRT, and it keeps going and going.....biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post

Not really.

Failures of electronics and other components can be put on a bathtub curve plot. Typically failures occur either really early, say within 6 months of ownership which is covered by the standard 12 month warranty, or very late, around 5-10 years after ownership. A very small percentage (typically 3%) fail within 5 years.

Therefore, most extended warranties are well past being "not worth it"! A big box store 3 year warranty costing ~$250 on a $2,000 TV would pay out less than $60 per average customer, which make them one of the worst value for money insurance policies out there.

Honestly, if your TV fails within those 3 years, you have to chalk it up to bad luck. You can buy some cheaper warranty plans, which may be more worth it. For example Costco, if you buy with a credit card you can get 5 years for $60 I believe (1yr costco+1yr credit card+3yr extended.) That is getting to the point of being worth it, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

Panasonic used to offer a full 5 year warranty on their plasma TVs for free. They were that confident in lifespan. Sadly the big box stores got in the way. They make pennies on every TV, and make most of the profit on the warranties (along with other accessories) -- which wouldn't sell if Panasonic were offering warranties for free!

That's why I don't like to invest in a lot of money for TV, but If I did, Costco would be the place I'd go to since they extend their warranties. Personally I can't afford to take a chance on 3 grand, a least not for a TV. Again, you don't need to spend that kind of money to get good picture quality. More economical sets like the ST60 will meet even the most discerning customers needs.

Ian

Old 10-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Just because your set failed doesn't mean that Panasonic doesn't make a quality product. Panasonic TV's failure rate is 2-3% in three years. I use to wholesale their car audio products and they were my most reliable brand. I have an entry level PDP that is three and half years old, gets plenty of use and works like a charm. No IR issues, or noticeable buzzing and the picture looks better then when I first bought it. If you purchase a new set today the odds are excellent that it will give you many years of reliable service. If your not comfortable spending a few grand on a new TV, their are much less expensive options that will provide you with more features and even a better picture then your V10. Shoot, I still have my old Panasonic CRT, and it keeps going and going.....biggrin.gif
That's why I don't like to invest in a lot of money for TV, but If I did, Costco would be the place I'd go to since they extend their warranties. Personally I can't afford to take a chance on 3 grand, a least not for a TV. Again, you don't need to spend that kind of money to get good picture quality. More economical sets like the ST60 will meet even the most discerning customers needs.

Ian

I don't believe he ever said it wasn't a quality product, what he said was regarding there customer service once there was an issue with a product. The end result may be the same in Panasonic not helping but how he was told that makes a huge difference to many. Panasonic's products are known for being very high in quality and there customer service is rather loathed for how poor it is.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Ian
So the V/ZTs are money thrown away?tongue.gif
Old 10-06-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Where are people getting the statistical tracking data from that determines what the failure rate is on Panasonic or other brands? Who receives the complaints and validates them, and do consumers who have failures covered under their paid for extended warranty coverage, even bother to report the failures of their sets to the manufacturers? If they do not, then the failure rates may be greatly under accounted for.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:03 PM

The figures (the most recent of which I think are a few years out of date) are from Consumer Reports.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:21 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:

The figures (the most recent of which I think are a few years out of date) are from Consumer Reports.

That's correct - CR had surveyed thousands of owners and the percentage of the brands that needed repair were Panasonic at 2%, LG at 4%, and Samsung at 5%. I was actually surprised that LG fared better than Samsung.

I have several customers that install flat panel TVs for our local aerospace contractors, defense contractors, the LAX airport, and corporate office buildings and for the past 3-4 years they have transitioned from installing Pro monitors to regular consumer TVs in most of their installations as they're less expensive. They all say that they pretty much use Panasonics as they have less failures and less call-backs to take them down for repair. I've also picked the brains of some A/V repair shops when i was trying to find one that could repair my blown surround sound receiver and they all said the Panasonics are more reliable, built better, easier to repair, and their tech division was easier to deal with. It shouldn't surprise anyone that a Japanese company has better build quality than the two leading Korean makers, and somebody has to be at the top of the list. It just happens to be Panasonic.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 10-06-2013, 07:35 PM

It's too bad that is not helping them fend off the inferior competition (plasma's waning prominence being the primary reason methinks).
Old 10-06-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

I don't believe he ever said it wasn't a quality product, what he said was regarding there customer service once there was an issue with a product. The end result may be the same in Panasonic not helping but how he was told that makes a huge difference to many. Panasonic's products are known for being very high in quality and there customer service is rather loathed for how poor it is.

Most customer service reps are under trained and not very helpful. I've had issues with Samsung, LG and Panasonic, just to name a few. Recently I hung up on a Netflix rep who refused to acknowledge that the streaming problem on my PC was due to a programming issue and not my ISP. (I was later able to confirm my assertion with another rep who was a lot nicer to me. biggrin.gif )

Ian

Old 10-07-2013, 02:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Most customer service reps are under trained and not very helpful. I've had issues with Samsung, LG and Panasonic, just to name a few. Recently I hung up on a Netflix rep who refused to acknowledge that the streaming problem on my PC was due to a programming issue and not my ISP. (I was later able to confirm my assertion with another rep who was a lot nicer to me. biggrin.gif )

Ian

Indeed, take it easy on the customer service personal though, they may have just answered a call where the person immediately just started screaming at them before they said anything (I have worked in customer service in the past and it is hard to believe how some of people behave, thankfully we where allowed to hang up on abusive customers though this isn't the case in many companies). I actually said above I don't own anything Panasonic which is actually incorrect. I don't hate Panasonic, I hate there poor customer service (not the people on the phones but the actual service work on warranties they have done in the past).

Sorry if I seemed as if I was attacking them but they like many companies can be beyond hard to deal with.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Part of the issue is that people don't want to pay for anything. The ability to comparison shop on the internet, and general expectation of falling prices has driven margins down to razor thin levels on Consumer electronics. There simply isn't enough margin to pay for satisfactory service support - which is very expensive for the manufacturer. You're paying 30% to 50% now vs what you would have paid 5 years ago for an equivalent sized set. The only real option is to buy that 5yr extended warranty, or take your chances that you won't be one of the few percent that have a failure.

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65v10 65 Inch 1080p Plasma Hdtv