New Panasonic Owners, what does it say on the box? Made in Japan? Assembled in US? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-05-2013, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hello. I'm about to bring a 60 inch Panasonic VT60 from the US up to Canada. Depending upon country of origin I may have to pay some duty (6% or 8%?). I've read that Panasonics are made in Mexico. I've been told that the Panasonics are assembled in the US which would mean no duties paid.. I had a quick telephone conversation with a Panasonic rep and she said the sets are made in Japan. If it's marked 'made in Japan' then I could possibly pay duties. Even if I have to pay duty, I still come out with a heck of a deal.

Can an owner of a new Panasonic please have a look at your box to see if it has any description of country of origin on it?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-06-2013, 09:36 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by absurd_username View Post

Hello. I'm about to bring a 60 inch Panasonic VT60 from the US up to Canada. Depending upon country of origin I may have to pay some duty (6% or 8%?). I've read that Panasonics are made in Mexico. I've been told that the Panasonics are assembled in the US which would mean no duties paid.. I had a quick telephone conversation with a Panasonic rep and she said the sets are made in Japan. If it's marked 'made in Japan' then I could possibly pay duties. Even if I have to pay duty, I still come out with a heck of a deal.

More proof that Panasonic phone reps have no idea what they're talking about, and whomever told you they were assembled in the US is also wrong. Panasonic Plasma TVs haven't been made in Japan since the middle of 2005 (my PX50U is one of em). Starting in late 2005 they shifted production to their Mexico assembly plant. The 2013 Plasma TVs for the North American market are all assembled in Mexico.

I just looked at my GT50 box and also my G10 box and there is no mention of where the TV is assembled. There is a little sticker on the back of the TV that says "Assembled in Mexico" and i think that's the only reference to the country of origin.

Also (just in case you're not aware of this), the manufacturer warranty is only valid in the US. If you take the TV to any other country the warranty is voided so keep that in mind.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 3 Old 10-06-2013, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thank you for the reply. Nice to finally confirm the 'origin' of the set. Now awaiting shipment.

As for warranty I'm getting a 5 year In Home Mack warranty. The first 90 days is Panasonic US...after that I'm Mack covered.

Hopefully nothing goes wrong in the first 90 days. I'd need to either bring it to a service center somewhere in Washington state or wait for 90 days to pass and then give Mack a call. Please, please, please....
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays