My Panasonic TC-50PS64 TV and my old 2007 Computer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-05-2013, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I just bought a Panasonic TC-50PS64 TV and want to run my old Toshiba Satellite A-200 Laptop Computer through the Monitor. I can use the Wireless connection for Audio & Video play of media but want to view my documents, and my Internet viewing so I can simply use the TV as a larger screen. The computer does NOT have an HDMI connection, and the manual suggests an 4 pin S-Video connector, but the TV doesn't have that. I admit I do not know much about all the different types of connectors between devices as there have been so many over the past decade. Both have Ethernet Connections, and both have USB Connections. The computer has an RGB Monitor Port, and a i.LINK (IEEE1394) connection and a CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive.

The Television manual does show that it will accept an HDMI - DVI conversion cable. Is DVI the same as RGB Monitor Port?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-06-2013, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 103
4 pin S-VIDEO can be converted to composite (yellow) using an appropriate cable. However, on a 50" 1080p plasma, it will look absolutely dreadful. Avoid at all costs, you will not be able to read anything and all videos will be in at most 720x576p (or 640x480p if set to NTSC standard.)

It looks like this TV does not have VGA so you cannot connect that directly, but you could use a VGA to HDMI converter (make sure you get the right type, you can also get HDMI to VGA converters which work the other way and won't do what you want.)

DVI isn't the same as RGB, it's very similar to HDMI (less audio and some other features.)
post #3 of 6 Old 10-06-2013, 09:09 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom669 View Post

....It looks like this TV does not have VGA so you cannot connect that directly, but you could use a VGA to HDMI converter (make sure you get the right type, you can also get HDMI to VGA converters which work the other way and won't do what you want.)

Actually that won't work either because the TV's HDMI inputs require the source device to be HDCP Compliant, but the video card in that old Laptop will not be HDCP Compliant so the TV won't display the signal.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #4 of 6 Old 10-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Actually that won't work either because the TV's HDMI inputs require the source device to be HDCP Compliant, but the video card in that old Laptop will not be HDCP Compliant so the TV won't display the signal.

Incorrect: it is the source (e.g. bluray player) that requires the TV to be HDCP compliant, not the other way around.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-06-2013, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks for the help guys. I went ahead last night and bought  $90 HDMI Display Adapter of USB-HDMI from a London Drugs store that included software on a CD. Thank God they are nice about returns because it's going back today. I was able use my TV as a monitor for most visuals but not anything that required a 3D rendering like simple Windows Solitaire. No matter how I tried to tweak the display, the print looked fuzzy and the overall resolution was poor. I realized that the Toshiba Laptop Video card was too weak to handle a large monitor. I don't play games other than the simple ones, and my real desire for a larger monitor is so I can look at two 8x11" pages at once, as genealogy is a big hobby. So my options are to buy an additional larger monitor, or buy a new Desktop box and use the new TV screen and/or a new monitor. As for visual display, I do want to start doing a lot of editing of photographs and videos, and do some voice recording, so maybe a whole new box is in order. I realize that a 6 year old Laptop will easily be bettered by a 2013 Desktop with many more times memory, far better video card, and faster times. I will have to take that into account my needs when choosing what hardware this new computer should have. If I can just use my new Plasma TV as a monitor do I really need a new computer monitor? Lastly, although my programs on my Computer are fine with the resolution of print, these Internet fonts are all still slightly fuzzy.

post #6 of 6 Old 10-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

You really should not use a 2013 plasma display as a monitor. They burn in and get image retention too easily. If you want a large monitor, get a 52" LCD or LED TV. If you want a cinematic quality picture use a plasma.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc 50ps64 50 Inch Plasma
Gear in this thread - 50ps64 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page