Forum Jump: 

Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I haven't heard any rumors about new plasmas yet. I was tempted to buy a Samsung last night but decided I'd hold off as I'm going to CES for the first time in ages. There are many ways I'd like them to improve the current round of TVs but that doesn't equate to actual new models. I was hoping someone might have some credible rumors of TVs that are actually coming next year. I doubt I'll see a 4K 85" OLED TV under $10,000 any time soon so I thought I'd get a plasma to hold me over for a few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I don't think most of us are in a position to get creditable information from a manufacturer... it's mostly repeating what others have speculated.

I made the fatal mistake of comparing a piece of junk LCD (elcheapo model) to my reference level plasma. I did calibrate the LCD as best as can be done given the available adjustments. I was looking at differences in gamma and stumbled across how much ABL behavior there is in the plasma. It's like stuck pixels. Don't go looking cause once you see them, you can't stop seeing them.

If you're just looking around, try to find a Samsung F8000. I think it's LED based LCD. Suppose to be one of the better ones and doesn't have ABL. lol

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, VideoForge HDMI II, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Thanks - no interest in LCD. I know some people say they can't see the motion difference but I can. Some say 120, 240, 480... fixes the issue - it doesn't for me. Some say matching the source to the TV fixes the issue - for me it doesn't. Even plasma motion doesn't seem as good as CRT to me. I'm hoping OLED is better than LCD for motion but I haven't really looked at one in years and the sizes are still too small for OLED. I had high hopes for Crystal LED but it looks like that is going the way of SEDTV.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
boe
AVS Special Member

Not a surprise but I would have love to have seen a ZT-70 at CES in January.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/08/panasonic-end-plasma-tv/
Old 10-09-2013, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Nikkei's track record is not the best, though based on sales, I suspect a ZT70 has been a significant stretch for some time now. Betcha' there's a VT70.

Tags
Samsung Ue40f8000
Gear in this thread