Is 5,000 hours a lot for a Kuro? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-08-2013, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

My KRP600M just hit 5,000 hours, and I was wondering if this is considered a lot? Do you think the picture quality has degraded any by now? Or will this not happen with Kuros? I had it ISF calibrated right when I originally got it. Does it need to be recalibrated or is calibration something that only has to be done once?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-08-2013, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
1) The Kuros have something like a 60,000-hour half-life (when the panel dims to half of its original brightness).
2) If you are still wowed by the picture, it is probably not degraded (some have been known to have a red tint develop and/or rising black levels, but these are in the minority).
3) Calibration touch-ups are needed for any panel as it ages (if you want to maintain the original accurate calibration values).
post #3 of 6 Old 10-08-2013, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

1) The Kuros have something like a 60,000-hour half-life (when the panel dims to half of its original brightness).
2) If you are still wowed by the picture, it is probably not degraded (some have been known to have a red tint develop and/or rising black levels, but these are in the minority).
3) Calibration touch-ups are needed for any panel as it ages (if you want to maintain the original accurate calibration values).

I am not quite as wowed as I was when I originally got it, but that might just be because I'm used to it. The black do seem like they might be slightly brighter. :( I'm hoping after a re-calibration, it will bring new life to the display. At 5,000 hours, that will mean it only lost about 5% of its brightness. That should be nothing to worry about, especially considering when properly calibrated the display won't be super bright like they are in the stores, so it really shouldn't be anything to worry about, right?

post #4 of 6 Old 10-08-2013, 09:24 PM

Liked: 11
5,000 is just broken in!!! lol
Straybeat likes this.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-09-2013, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Yes, a touch-up should get those black levels back in shape. I would recommend getting D-Nice out to calibrate, as he has the software and means to achieve unheard of blacks from the Kuros. wink.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 10-09-2013, 04:12 PM

Liked: 22
It's not really that bad for a tv of that age. Or, well, compared to what from that age COULD be. For instance I have a tv that I bought probably 1-2 years before the 9g kuros came out and I recently looked in the service menu and saw it's only like a day of hours from 25,000.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page