Panasonic exiting plasma business by march 2014 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last
Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Panasonic exiting plasma business by march 2014
fengyoujin's Avatar fengyoujin 08:55 AM 10-22-2013

i think so,Hopefully they will have a special edition 2014 model.thank you

30.gif

ChadThunder's Avatar ChadThunder 10:58 AM 10-22-2013
Fingers crossed they stay, their professional plasma monitors are the best displays I have ever seen but Panasonic do absolutely nothing to market them
RWetmore's Avatar RWetmore 07:30 PM 10-22-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

According to Robert of VE, there will be a Samsung "G" series plasma in 2014.

That's good news. Hopefully Samsung can carry the torch. They don't have far to go to surpass Panasonic, so I'll be anxious to see their 2014 flagship model.
jontyrees's Avatar jontyrees 02:09 PM 10-23-2013
I honestly can't see Samsung or anyone else staying in the plasma business, (except MAYBE a small niche player in the very high end), given that it's now only around 6% of the total flat panel market. R&D, Marketing, Engineering, Service, etc overheads would be somewhat in line with those for LED/LCD, which has 13x the market, (translation, 13x the number of units to support that overhead). Just economics - plasma will be gone. I like them, I have three, but not enough other people do.
remush's Avatar remush 05:56 AM 10-31-2013
Looks like it's official, and manufacturing will end this December
http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/31/panasonic-quits-plasma/d
TWD's Avatar TWD 06:00 AM 10-31-2013
That seals it. No 2014 plasma from Panasonic.
theanimala's Avatar theanimala 06:52 AM 10-31-2013
This sucks. Hopefully OLED pricing comes down quickly or my existing 3 year old plasma lasts a while because I cannot stand LCD sets.
colnago's Avatar colnago 08:53 AM 10-31-2013
I was thinking of giving my 700U away, because I just got a ZT...now I'm thinking about getting my 700 "professionally" calibrated (not just me fiddling around the service member and eyeballing it), and scooping up another ZT on closeout, and just moth-ballling it until the first two break.
dobyblue's Avatar dobyblue 09:06 AM 10-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post

I was thinking of giving my 700U away, because I just got a ZT...now I'm thinking about getting my 700 "professionally" calibrated (not just me fiddling around the service member and eyeballing it), and scooping up another ZT on closeout, and just moth-ballling it until the first two break.

Well that will be better than giving "PowerSellerNYC" $8,000 for it 6 years from now. smile.gif
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 09:10 AM 10-31-2013
Quote:

I wouldnt count on getting some sort of super deal on a ZT. Or any of them for that matter.
colnago's Avatar colnago 09:17 AM 10-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I wouldnt count on getting some sort of super deal on a ZT. Or any of them for that matter.

Meh...I got the ZT last week because I'd been kicking myself for not picking up one of the last KRP-500s for $1,200, 'cuz "I already had a 700U, and didn't quite have the money". What made it worse was that the place was only 5 miles from my dad's house, and was at the store, at that price, for several months. rolleyes.gif
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 09:25 AM 10-31-2013
Quote:

Meh...I got the ZT last week because I'd been kicking myself for not picking up one of the last KRP-500s for $1,200, 'cuz "I already had a 700U, and didn't quite have the money". What made it worse was that the place was only 5 miles from my dad's house, and was at the store, at that price, for several months. rolleyes.gif
Men...this post means nothing since you dont mention what price and what size ZT? rolleyes.gif
Orta's Avatar Orta 09:37 AM 10-31-2013
Quote:

Please don't. You're infinitely better off taking that $400 or whatever and buying a 50S60. I'd like to think a reputable calibrator wouldn't even do that job.
Elvis Is Alive's Avatar Elvis Is Alive 09:42 AM 10-31-2013
From another thread,

This looks like official word about end of plasma production in December:

http://panasonic.net/ir/relevant/2013/en131031-1.pdf
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 09:42 AM 10-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post

Please don't. You're infinitely better off taking that $400 or whatever and buying a 50S60. I'd like to think a reputable calibrator wouldn't even do that job.
Agreed. But its not the brightest idea to buy a ZT and put it in the closet for 5 years or so either imo.
msantti's Avatar msantti 09:53 AM 10-31-2013
Looks like the vast majority of consumers enjoy inferior tech.

Not the first time this has happened either.
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 10:05 AM 10-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by remush View Post

Looks like it's official, and manufacturing will end this December
http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/31/panasonic-quits-plasma/d

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWD View Post

That seals it. No 2014 plasma from Panasonic.

That is panel manufacturing, right? Wouldn't they need to actually put these panels in a TV or something or are they stockpiling them for repairs of sets already sold?
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 10:12 AM 10-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Looks like the vast majority of consumers enjoy inferior tech.

Not the first time this has happened either.

They like bright shiny objects in the big box retailers and don't even know that better exists.

As far as not the first time.. Streaming comes to mind. The video quality has gotten better but is no where near that of Blu-ray and let's not even discuss the (lack of) audio. With some future OLED 4k TV how is streaming even going to match that and up the ante on audio too? The bandwidth is just not even there right now outside limited FiOS and Google Fiber areas and there really isn't a whole lot going on on build out in this regard. People are going to look at that fancy OLED in the store, running the built in UHD files, and say, "WOW!" But when they get home and hook it up to their Sat or Cable feed they'll be saying, "WTF?"
somelogin's Avatar somelogin 10:34 AM 10-31-2013
colnago, if you're giving something away, how about the zt60 to me?
somelogin's Avatar somelogin 10:37 AM 10-31-2013
Also "inferior tech" is your opinion. Not everyone wants something "most realistic" when realism has a worse looking picture quality. I like the picture of plasma better, but it hurts my head badly, too, and so you could say plasma tech is inferior due to wasting of electricity and causing issues via flicker. My old CCFL LCD still has some advantages over plasmas. For one thing a bright LCD picture looks more "clean". it looks like clean light whereas the plasma looks more dull and contaminated. I think that weird, not clean, light is a lot of what is bothering my head.
colnago's Avatar colnago 10:40 AM 10-31-2013
Quote:

Men...this post means nothing since you dont mention what price and what size ZT? rolleyes.gif

My bad...typing up an SOP at work. Too many numbers/acronyms running around my head as it is. 60ZT60 from Magnolia for $2,699, and 42" 700U from Best Buy, display model during half time of 2007 Super Bowl for $1,100.
colnago's Avatar colnago 10:43 AM 10-31-2013
mad.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orta View Post

Really? Because it lacks a few more "needed" controls? (e.g. gamma level):

http://precision-video.blogspot.com/2007/09/panasonic-th50-pz700u-calibration.html

Quote:

Agreed. But its not the brightest idea to buy a ZT and put it in the closet for 5 years or so either imo.

As an network engineer by trade, its all about "spares, backup, and reduncancy". I wouldn't literally put mothballs in the TV.
wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

colnago, if you're giving something away, how about the zt60 to me?

I'd have no problem doing that...as soon as I hit one of those 9-digit lottery payouts.
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 10:49 AM 10-31-2013
Quote:

My bad...typing up an SOP at work. Too many numbers/acronyms running around my head as it is. 60ZT60 from Magnolia for $2,699, and 42" 700U from Best Buy, display model during half time of 2007 Super Bowl for $1,100.
So while that is a good deal I will repeat. I wouldnt count on getting some kind of super deals on a ZT or any other model for that matter. Its unlikely they will be giving these away just to clear the shelves.
p5browne's Avatar p5browne 10:52 AM 10-31-2013
Quote:

The worse thing to do is moth ball electronics! At worse, turn on once a month to allow the capacitors to reform.
Watch Walmart and count how many $498 50" RCA LED / LCDs leave the store in one day, then watch BB and watch how many TVs leave their store in a day - Ratio will probably be about 10 to 1!
colnago's Avatar colnago 10:57 AM 10-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

The worse thing to do is moth ball electronics! At worse, turn on once a month to allow the capacitors to reform.
Watch Walmart and count how many $498 50" RCA LED / LCDs leave the store in one day, then watch BB and watch how many TVs leave their store in a day - Ratio will probably be about 10 to 1!

Yeah...I really kinda just making light of the fact that there weren't going to be any more Panny plasmas coming forth, and I should "stock up now". However if I do come across a screaming deal, like with the last of the really great Pioneer Elites, I would consider getting a 2nd ZT "just ta have". Waiting years to open the box and turn it on, would be like the couple who waited "181 days" to claim their winning lottery ticket.
somelogin's Avatar somelogin 11:07 AM 10-31-2013
Some dummy keeps trying to sell a supposed "new" elite 101 on ebay for around $6k.
Sammy2's Avatar Sammy2 11:26 AM 10-31-2013
Wow, I thought I was the only one that drifted off topic..
smurraybhm's Avatar smurraybhm 11:37 AM 10-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

Wow, I thought I was the only one that drifted off topic..

It's because no one is responding to his thread anymore ex Stu. Cry for attention.
Bond 007's Avatar Bond 007 11:43 AM 10-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Roughly how long do you suggest it be on for once a month?
craigyboy's Avatar craigyboy 11:50 AM 10-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

Some dummy keeps trying to sell a supposed "new" elite 101 on ebay for around $6k.
here we go, please no:D
Tags: Panasonic , Plasma Hdtv
First ... 8  9  10 11  12  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop