Samsung f8500 or f5300 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 52 Old 10-09-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just based on pq will the 8500 blow the 5300 out if the water. Is it worth the extra $1800 or are the pictures basically the same and that $1800 is buying the smart hub and 3d (which I care nothing about). Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 10-09-2013, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Something else I forgot to add is that I watch no blu rays. I watch directv hd. Sports, news, whatever the wife watches so saying one has a better picture than the other on blu ray doesn't pertain to me. I looking for advice on everyday tv watching.
post #3 of 52 Old 10-09-2013, 12:21 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Saying 'it blows it away' is an understatement. I mean, the F5300 is ok, but the F8500 is a league on its own, it's very OLED like.

If you do casual viewing and don't want to spend a lot of money, there are good alternatives like the Panasonic S60 and the ST60. Do not look for any Samsung or LG plasmas on entry level price point, it's futile.
gus738 and walsey like this.
post #4 of 52 Old 10-09-2013, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post

Saying 'it blows it away' is an understatement. I mean, the F5300 is ok, but the F8500 is a league on its own, it's very OLED like.

If you do casual viewing and don't want to spend a lot of money, there are good alternatives like the Panasonic S60 and the ST60. Do not look for any Samsung or LG plasmas on entry level price point, it's futile.

Thanks for the reply. I want the best pq and if spending the extra dime gets that im ok with it. I just didn't want to spend that much extra money on the f8500 and be buying the smart hub and 3d. If i'm also getting way better picture quality then its worth every penny in my opinion. Thanks for the insight.
post #5 of 52 Old 10-09-2013, 01:34 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Yeah, good luck with the purchase. The Samsung F8500 was the only plasma that literally gave me a shock this year. I got the money ready but still can't buy it because of input lag. I hope by the next year, I can also join in the fun. frown.gif
post #6 of 52 Old 10-09-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Does input lag really affect normal tv viewing that much or is it just gaming
post #7 of 52 Old 10-09-2013, 02:20 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by walsey View Post

Does input lag really affect normal tv viewing that much or is it just gaming

Just gaming
post #8 of 52 Old 10-09-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Ok guys thanks for the info
post #9 of 52 Old 10-09-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 753
no comparison between the two. imo, if you aren't going to spend the money for the f8500, you might as well go with the pannies(st60 maybe?)

input lag isn't that bad when set to PC mode. it's on par with most other high end displays(the high end stuff never seems to have less than about 50ms... too much processing I guess?) but is quite bad in the normal mode. in either event, it's only relevant for input sensitive activities(gaming, using as a computer monitor...) and has no effect at all on normal video watching(tv, blurays, etc)

the top 4 for picture quality this year are the f8500, st60, vt60, zt60. it really pays to get a lot of hands on experience with all 4 before you pick your personal winner though. I didn't personally see a huge difference between the 3 panny's, all very good, very black, very safe bets. the Samsung stood out for sure, more LED looking than any other plasma I've seen. it's up to you to decide if that's for the better or not though.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #10 of 52 Old 10-10-2013, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Just based on pq will the 8500 blow the 5300 out if the water. Is it worth the extra $1800 or are the pictures basically the same and that $1800 is buying the smart hub and 3d (which I care nothing about). Any help would be appreciated.
The price difference is more because of the pic quality rather than the Smart TV. The F8500 has much better video processing than the F5300. The F5500 adds the Smart TV and 3D and is only about $200 more. So if you want top pic quality, then get the 8500. If you want Smart TV and 3D at a lower price, then get the 5500.
post #11 of 52 Old 10-10-2013, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If your budget can handle the F8500, definately go for that. It's superior in every way possible.

My budget, unfortunatly, could not. I had to settle for the F5300 and I have been very happy with it. You will not find a better TV for that low of a price. I got mine for 500 dollars (open box return at BB), and for that price, it's an absolute steal.

I look at alot of TV's and calibrate sets on the side, and you are getting performance at entry level that is similar to some top level sets a few years ago.

I feel like I'm becoming the F5300 cheerleader on this forum, I gotta stop this lol
post #12 of 52 Old 10-10-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by will7046 View Post

If your budget can handle the F8500, definately go for that. It's superior in every way possible.

My budget, unfortunatly, could not. I had to settle for the F5300 and I have been very happy with it. You will not find a better TV for that low of a price. I got mine for 500 dollars (open box return at BB), and for that price, it's an absolute steal.

I look at alot of TV's and calibrate sets on the side, and you are getting performance at entry level that is similar to some top level sets a few years ago.

I feel like I'm becoming the F5300 cheerleader on this forum, I gotta stop this lol

I actually bought the 5300 and am very impressed with the picture. So good in fact that's what raised the question how much better can the 8500 be. I now have a 8500 on the way to compare and take back which ever one I don't like as much. Thanks for all the replys. For others who wanna know I think the 5300 is a very solid tv. When the 8500 comes in I will check it out and compare and bring my feedback. Thanks everyone.
post #13 of 52 Old 10-10-2013, 04:57 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by will7046 View Post

How satisfactory is the brightness? I've seen those in stores all the time, and know they're no ST60 or F8500, but I'm interested in hearing from someone who actually has it at home.
post #14 of 52 Old 10-10-2013, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post

How satisfactory is the brightness? I've seen those in stores all the time, and know they're no ST60 or F8500, but I'm interested in hearing from someone who actually has it at home.

I'm watching the tigers and the A's as we speak on a 60f5300 and it's got good brightness in my opinion. Defiantly not the LED I just sold but for the money I would be satisfied. I do have it in a dark room though. The screen is pretty reflective of lights too.
post #15 of 52 Old 10-10-2013, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

I'm watching the tigers and the A's as we speak on a 60f5300 and it's got good brightness in my opinion. Defiantly not the LED I just sold but for the money I would be satisfied. I do have it in a dark room though. The screen is pretty reflective of lights too.

I've seen the 5350 series that is sold at the warehouse clubs (BJs, Sams) and it does have an anti-reflective screen. Anyone know if that's the only difference between the 5300 and the 5350?

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #16 of 52 Old 10-11-2013, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
No issues with the light output on the set.

The TV can get very bright, it's just not quite as accurate at high brighness levels.

I calibrated mine (and it calibrates very nicely) to about 35 fl which is perfect for a dim/dark room without any tradeoffs.
post #17 of 52 Old 10-12-2013, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Just a little update on the 5300. I've started to notice the "buzzing" I heard everyone talk about. I didn't hear it when I first got it. Don't know if I just didn't hear it in the beginning or if it's progressively gotten worse but it is noticeable up close and on certain programs I can hear it 10 ft away. Do all the tvs do that or do 1 in a few do that?
post #18 of 52 Old 10-12-2013, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just a little update on the 5300. I've started to notice the "buzzing" I heard everyone talk about. I didn't hear it when I first got it. Don't know if I just didn't hear it in the beginning or if it's progressively gotten worse but it is noticeable up close and on certain programs I can hear it 10 ft away. Do all the tvs do that or do 1 in a few do that?

unknown really, but my theory is they probably all do it about the same, and different ppl are more susceptible to it than others.

there's no other way I can explain one person returning 4-5 TV's with 'buzzing' while 20 others hear no buzzing on any of theirs.

I have buzzing on my f8500, but it's at a similar level to the electrical buzz one can hear when you turn on the lights. being able to hear it from 10ft away would be an issue. but I have to ask, are you noticing it while watching content at 10ft away, or are you trying to listen for it specifically and are able to 'tune it in' at 10ft away. if it's distractingly loud during normal viewing at 10ft away, something isn't right. if you have to turn all the speakers off, and listen for it, well stop doing that and enjoy your tv, haha.

post #19 of 52 Old 10-12-2013, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

unknown really, but my theory is they probably all do it about the same, and different ppl are more susceptible to it than others.

there's no other way I can explain one person returning 4-5 TV's with 'buzzing' while 20 others hear no buzzing on any of theirs.

I have buzzing on my f8500, but it's at a similar level to the electrical buzz one can hear when you turn on the lights. being able to hear it from 10ft away would be an issue. but I have to ask, are you noticing it while watching content at 10ft away, or are you trying to listen for it specifically and are able to 'tune it in' at 10ft away. if it's distractingly loud during normal viewing at 10ft away, something isn't right. if you have to turn all the speakers off, and listen for it, well stop doing that and enjoy your tv, haha.

Yeah once I heard it that first time I did find myself listening for it but I can hear it seems like during most bright scenes now.
post #20 of 52 Old 10-12-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah once I heard it that first time I did find myself listening for it but I can hear it seems like during most bright scenes now.

i'll notice mine only under a very specific condition. when i'm surfing the web and flip from a dark website to a bright one. it takes very little audio to wash out any chance of me hearing the buzzing on my set, so pretty much anything with sound is immune. and I find I 'tone it out' or get used to it very quickly, so constantly being on a bright webpage doesn't bother me, and constantly being on a dark webpage doesn't bother me. it's only when switching between the two that i'll either notice the buzz start or stop.

if it's something that's going to distract you, you could try placing some sound absorbing materials behind the tv. just in case there's some kind of interference happening that makes it louder at your viewing location. if none of that works, you face the tough decision of dealing with it, or dealing with LED. well, ok, that might be a tough decision for some cool.gif

post #21 of 52 Old 10-13-2013, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

i'll notice mine only under a very specific condition. when i'm surfing the web and flip from a dark website to a bright one. it takes very little audio to wash out any chance of me hearing the buzzing on my set, so pretty much anything with sound is immune. and I find I 'tone it out' or get used to it very quickly, so constantly being on a bright webpage doesn't bother me, and constantly being on a dark webpage doesn't bother me. it's only when switching between the two that i'll either notice the buzz start or stop.

if it's something that's going to distract you, you could try placing some sound absorbing materials behind the tv. just in case there's some kind of interference happening that makes it louder at your viewing location. if none of that works, you face the tough decision of dealing with it, or dealing with LED. well, ok, that might be a tough decision for some cool.gif

You don't have to worry about me going to LED. That's where I just came from and hated every minute. My poor wife had to listen to me complain the whole time I owned it but I sold it to get back into plasma which is where I'm gonna stay for quite sometime. Oughta be beat for even crossing over to LED.
gus738 and Brohammer619 like this.
post #22 of 52 Old 10-18-2013, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

*UPDATE* I got my 51f8500 in last night and hooked everything up. I have to say in not impressed at all with the picture. I probably will get hammered for saying this but I don't think the picture I'm getting is much better if any over the 5300 I had last week. The only difference in each tv would be one was 8500 is a 51 inch and the 5300 was a 60. Would that have anything to do with pq? I didn't have either set pro calibrated just used settings off of the forums and I honestly think first impression goes to the 5300. For the money it was a solid picture and for $1200 less I got 9 inches more screen. I'm going to give it a couple more days but more than likely I'll be returning the 8500 unless y'all have any suggestions. I would've loved to get the 60 in the 8500 but it's out of my price range.
post #23 of 52 Old 10-18-2013, 09:02 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

*UPDATE* I got my 51f8500 in last night and hooked everything up. I have to say in not impressed at all with the picture. I probably will get hammered for saying this but I don't think the picture I'm getting is much better if any over the 5300 I had last week. The only difference in each tv would be one was 8500 is a 51 inch and the 5300 was a 60. Would that have anything to do with pq? I didn't have either set pro calibrated just used settings off of the forums and I honestly think first impression goes to the 5300. For the money it was a solid picture and for $1200 less I got 9 inches more screen. I'm going to give it a couple more days but more than likely I'll be returning the 8500 unless y'all have any suggestions. I would've loved to get the 60 in the 8500 but it's out of my price range.

Well I think that entry level Plasmas (or specifically the S60 and F5300) are so good the return/value wise on a higher end set is going to be sort of diminishing.
post #24 of 52 Old 10-18-2013, 12:15 PM

Liked: 10
I'm very happy with my PN60F5300, using will7046's calibration settings. Replaced a well used PN50B550.
post #25 of 52 Old 10-18-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Code:
Quote:
Originally Posted by signmastr View Post

I'm very happy with my PN60F5300, using will7046's calibration settings. Replaced a well used PN50B550.

I also liked the 60f5300. I think for the money that's a tough tv to beat. Only reason I returned my is I just wanted to see what all the fuss was about with the 8500.
post #26 of 52 Old 10-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I would re return it

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #27 of 52 Old 10-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

What did you end up doing ?

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #28 of 52 Old 10-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I thought I read some 60 inch screens are pentile screens.I have no idea what pentile screen is though.
post #29 of 52 Old 10-26-2013, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

They are ...

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #30 of 52 Old 12-30-2013, 09:46 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkultra View Post

Just gaming

Well, perhaps the correct answer would be that it affects every input but you probably wont notice it unless you are gaming (and perhaps not even then). If you have a TV with high input lag and send sound separately from the same source to a surround system, you could experience a difference between picture and sound, but that probably won't be an issue with most TVs today.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn64f8500 64 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f8500 60 Inch 1080p 600hz 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn60f5300 60 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51f5300 51 Inch Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn60f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page