looking for a new display. need advice. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-12-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

hi all.  need some help.  watch around a thousand movies a year and spend on average 8 to 10 hours watching dvd, blu ray, ect.

since this past feburary i have returned 6 TV's all which have had issues ranging from display type to quality control type issues.

i am looking for recomendations and at least a 60 inch display.  money is no issue. so far i've tried: 

Samsung UN60F7500- bad mura, backlight issues, uneven screen, flashlighting, hotspots

Sony XBR-55X900A- large mura hotspots, terrible for viewing in a darkroom, large mura patches (Actually I've had two of these on exchange) 

LG Electronics 60PH6700- washed out PQ, beams of light flickering from sides of screen 

Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST60- brilliant PQ and blacks, however image is very juddery when motion smoother is turned off or on weak setting.  So juddery that some content isn't viewable because of headaches.  If motion is set back to default soap opera makes TV unbearable to watch. 480 or SD content is a mess and unwatchable (speeds are off).

Based on these issues what model should I try next?

I need a TV that works without problems or flaws.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-12-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked: 794
if money is no issue, why have you not tried the 3 highest rated TV's yet? vt60, zt60, f8500

if one of those doesn't work for you, you're SOL unfortunately.

also, with those kind of viewing habits: http://www.avsforum.com/f/24/digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #3 of 6 Old 10-12-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the reply.  I paid $5k for the Sony 4k when it was released, but was so unimpressed by the flashlighting and back light issues that I decided to go down in model.  i figured difference in price doesn't always mean better quality, but I'm figuring out that it actually may.

i did some price searching on the ZT60 by Panasonic and found Amazon and Paul's TV.  Amazon is priced at $3k, they have the great return policy, ect.  Paul's has the ZT60 priced at $3k then had a promo code that would make the price of the TV $2499.99, no tax, white glove put on stand delivery.  Would you go with this.  Is Paul's TV reputable?  Especially if black levels are of the utmost importance to me?

I appreciate the link to the projection system reviews.  In the end this might be the very best option, however I plan on moving cross-country in less than 12 months so I would really hate to set this up only have to break it back down when I  move.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

if money is no issue, why have you not tried the 3 highest rated TV's yet? vt60, zt60, f8500

if one of those doesn't work for you, you're SOL unfortunately.

also, with those kind of viewing habits: http://www.avsforum.com/f/24/digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp
post #4 of 6 Old 10-12-2013, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z50X View Post

hi all.  need some help.  watch around a thousand movies a year and spend on average 8 to 10 hours watching dvd, blu ray, ect.

since this past feburary i have returned 6 TV's all which have had issues ranging from display type to quality control type issues.

Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST60- brilliant PQ and blacks, however image is very juddery when motion smoother is turned off or on weak setting.  So juddery that some content isn't viewable because of headaches.  If motion is set back to default soap opera makes TV unbearable to watch. 480 or SD content is a mess and unwatchable (speeds are off).

Based on these issues what model should I try next?

I need a TV that works without problems or flaws.

Are you saying that you see a juddery picture even with bluray movies ? or just cable/satellite? Have you ever thought that it's the source or setting that you didn't have properly set? I have never seen juddering with bluray movies. If you did , you may be SOL, you might be the small % of people sensitive to certain video images.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #5 of 6 Old 10-12-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

i have a roku and oppo-103 feeding via hdmi into TV in two ports.  no cable/satellite. no video game console.

with wireless connectivity buffering, ect. is to be expected but the judder on the st60 was bad enough for me to return the set.

to describe it best the "judder" was on all blu-ray, streamed content, ect. and reminded me of "the blair witch project" handy-cam.  the picture was vibrating to the point of giving me a headache.

on the st60 i tried playing with the motion smoother features which are set to default at "mid".  as reported the "mid" resulted in the unnatural fast paced soap opera effect, where speeds and motion seemed unrealistically fast.

i tried to fix this by setting motion smoother from "mid" to "weak" and then to "off".

there is much of a difference on the st60 between "weak" and "off".  while soap opera is eliminated when switched from "mid" to "weak" or "off" then judder begins to occur. even sometimes a lag.

this set would be perfect if the difference between motion smoother "weak" and "off" wasn't so subtle.

i like the plasma's because of the black levels and wondering if I buy the zt60 the judder will be eliminated.  i hear the blacks are great (like on the st60) which is very important to me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Are you saying that you see a juddery picture even with bluray movies ? or just cable/satellite? Have you ever thought that it's the source or setting that you didn't have properly set? I have never seen juddering with bluray movies. If you did , you may be SOL, you might be the small % of people sensitive to certain video images.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-12-2013, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z50X View Post

Most likely it is a problem with streaming content and settings on your Oppo. Movies definitely don't look like the handheld camera on the Blair Witch unless they were meant to be filmed that way. The blacks are better on ZT60 btw compared to the ST60 but it cannot get as bright as the ST60.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60es7500 60 Inch 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv , Lg Electronics 60ph6700 60 Inch Active 3d Plasma Hdtv With Smart Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page