Extended Service Plans - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 10-18-2013, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I have never been a big fan of ESP's as I think that they are a cash cow for those selling them otherwise they wouldn't be selling them. That said the warranty on my new Plasma is only one year. I am looking for any thoughts on the pros and cons of extended warranties as I have 29 days to decide if I want one or not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 10-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
If it breaks on day 395 of ownership - moo moo on you ....

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #3 of 50 Old 10-18-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So far though, I am WAY ahead of the game and it isn't statistically cumulative. Each device has its own risk so just because I haven't needed one on just about everything does not mean that my luck is running out.

What I really am looking for here is reports from where it paid off and where the insurance policy ran out and was never used.

post #4 of 50 Old 10-18-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Never bought one, never will.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #5 of 50 Old 10-18-2013, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Statistically speaking, you'll find that most purchasers don't end up needing to employ these plans. It's a form of insurance.
Sammy2 likes this.
post #6 of 50 Old 10-18-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 385
You are right that they are a money maker, but for some $99 for 3 years of coverage is an easy amount to spend when investing 2 or 3k on a display. Not everyone has the resources to buy a new one every year or two. Reading forums like this one probably help sell more extended warranties. Some of these threads if you don't know better could keep you up at night if it's your set they are talking about. smile.gif
cardinal4 likes this.
post #7 of 50 Old 10-18-2013, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It's insurance and at $33 per year, affordable.
post #8 of 50 Old 10-18-2013, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have never had to have a TV repaired. My AVR 889 went out a bit early in 2012 but that was still 5 years old so I used it as an opportunity to get a new one and actually it was just 2 out of the 4 HDMI ports so it still does work and the amp section is probably better than the 2312ci that replaced it.

post #9 of 50 Old 10-18-2013, 09:33 PM

Liked: 22
Most think it's something to consider for plasmas. They are more likely to have an issue than other types of tvs. But I'm not so sure they will easily honor them. I have a pioneer elite which I think has an obvious issue and nobody will admit it or even answer me.
post #10 of 50 Old 10-18-2013, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Yea, but (and no offense) you're kind of a special case. smile.gif
post #11 of 50 Old 10-19-2013, 06:49 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 472
There are several existing Extended Warranty threads floating around here on AVS already (if you care to search for them), and all of them pretty much have the same back and forth arguments both for and against and the same outcome - some people (like me) think the peace of mind is worth the price, while others say they're totally not worth it and a waste of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

Most think it's something to consider for plasmas. They are more likely to have an issue than other types of tvs.

That's not true. The Panasonic and Pioneer Plasmas are the most reliable TVs ever made over the past 8+ years. Almost all of the LCD TVs are made by lesser companies in lesser countries, and there are more components in an LCD TV that can fail compared to a Plasma. My own track record is four Plasmas and none of them have any problems, but i've had two LCD TVs fail on me and one LCD monitor fail. Yet i still love LCD TVs (just not as much as Plasma).

Quote:
But I'm not so sure they will easily honor them.

Sure they will if you get one from the more reputable EW companies. There are countless posts here where the TV was successfully repaired or replaced or refunded by the EW company. I've only seen a handful of posts reporting problems dealing with an EW.

Quote:
I have a pioneer elite which I think has an obvious issue and nobody will admit it or even answer me.

But you only had one technician look at it right? What is the name of your EW company?

FWIW, i have profited greatly on four different EWs over the years, and the one time when i bought a $500 A/V receiver i forgot to go back and buy the $60 EW in time and later it failed and i had to throw it away instead of getting it replaced, so had i bought that one i would have been $440 ahead on that item alone (i'm still kicking myself in the butt). Two other EWs i've bought weren't needed and expired since i had no failures. But i'm so much money ahead on those other EWs that i can buy several more EWs with all the money they've saved me.

I consider them to be elective insurance and i tend to only buy them for items that i wouldn't want to have to pay out of pocket to repair or replace should one fail, or items from companies that don't have the greatest track record of reliability. On other electronic stuff i just let my Visa card's automatic one year warranty extension cover it for an extra year.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #12 of 50 Old 10-19-2013, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I buy extended warranties on some items. If it includes customer service like the Apple Care on my Mac's I will tend to buy it more for the customer service aspect. Also for items like TV's that would be expensive to repair if a major part dies (like the screen) I will buy the extended warranty. The extended warranty on my E8000 plasma allowed me to get a free replacement F8500 when the E8000 developed dead and bright pixels. That warranty was a bit more expensive but it stated that it was "replacement warranty" not a repair warranty.

Samsung UA55HU9000, Klipsch Quintet 5.1, Onkyo TX-NR515AE
post #13 of 50 Old 10-19-2013, 04:13 PM

Yes only one technician looked at it, but only ONE place in the area is authorized by Pioneer. And all you have to do is search online and everything will say plasmas fail more often. They have way more characteristics which can lead to problems, such as a crazy amount of electric current and heat going on and you rarely hear of LCDs having some odd issue where they still work, yet have weird colors or worse black levels, like you see in almost all plasma models.
post #14 of 50 Old 10-20-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You really don't know what you are talking about. Plasma sets have far fewer issues than LCD/LED. And the incidence of repair for p[asma is far smaller than lcd/led. Does not even come close. The only thing you got right is that all you have to do is look it up.

Tony
post #15 of 50 Old 10-20-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post

You really don't know what you are talking about. Plasma sets have far fewer issues than LCD/LED. And the incidence of repair for p[asma is far smaller than lcd/led. Does not even come close. The only thing you got right is that all you have to do is look it up.

Based purely on the TV's sold, LCD have a larger market share, so that will make incidence of repairs higher for LCD's etc.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #16 of 50 Old 10-20-2013, 03:30 PM

Right. A tv built with more complicated parts is going to be more reliable. uh huh. A tv that puts out tons of heat and throws out 90% of the electric current it pulls in sure will be less likely to have problems and all. I know I'd sure rather have a tv loaded with heat than a cool one. We all know electronics could never overheat and cause damage to parts, of course. The fact that by sheer numbers there are more faulty LCDs has nothing to do with the fact that 909% of people buy LCDs.
post #17 of 50 Old 10-20-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post

Based purely on the TV's sold, LCD have a larger market share, so that will make incidence of repairs higher for LCD's etc.

Number made/sold has no bearing on the defect rate.

Tony
post #18 of 50 Old 10-20-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right. A tv built with more complicated parts is going to be more reliable. uh huh. A tv that puts out tons of heat and throws out 90% of the electric current it pulls in sure will be less likely to have problems and all. I know I'd sure rather have a tv loaded with heat than a cool one. We all know electronics could never overheat and cause damage to parts, of course. The fact that by sheer numbers there are more faulty LCDs has nothing to do with the fact that 909% of people buy LCDs.

It takes a real imbecile to argue against a numerical fact.

I said nothing about the "number" of repairs.

And some how you seem to have invented that plasmas are "more complicated". Every forum needs a good chuckle every now and again.
xpfshost likes this.

Tony
post #19 of 50 Old 10-20-2013, 08:58 PM

You said nothing about ANY numbers, smart one. Yep I'm arguing with imaginary numbers not posted. haha. Everyone knows way more can go wrong with a plasma. Show me a number of LCDs with burn in. smile.gif
post #20 of 50 Old 10-21-2013, 04:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am only trying to find out whether people have found value in an ESP or not; not trying to start arguments where name calling is used.. Jeez. Keep it civil.
xpfshost likes this.

post #21 of 50 Old 10-21-2013, 07:05 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2 View Post

I am only trying to find out whether people have found value in an ESP or not; not trying to start arguments where name calling is used.. Jeez. Keep it civil.

I will repeat what i said in post #11:

There are several existing Extended Warranty threads floating around here on AVS already (if you care to search for them), and all of them pretty much have the same back and forth arguments both for and against and the same outcome - some people (like me) think the peace of mind is worth the price, while others say they're totally not worth it and a waste of money and are vehemently opposed to them.

Every one of these redundant repetitive threads go over the pros and cons ad-nauseum and always turn into arguements, but there is good information contained in them that can help you make your own decision. Keep in mind that TV prices are so much lower than they were in previous years that the extra money you've saved by not buying the TV in 2012 or 2011 when they were costing more can be put toward an EW that can give you peace of mind for the duration of the EW, and in the small 2-5% chance that the TV fails after the factory warranty expires the EW will more than pay for itself - even if you don't get a full re-imbursement of your purchase price. Like i said earlier EWs have paid off big time for me.

In the end, only YOU can determine if the perceived risk of failure over the next 2-5 years is worth the cost of paying for an EW. Try to think of it as insurance - If you don't think it's worth the extra money then simply don't buy it. Or buy the TV with a good credit card that extends the warranty for an additional year after the factory warranty expires - that's one extra year of coverage for free.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #22 of 50 Old 10-21-2013, 07:57 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:

You said nothing about ANY numbers, smart one. Yep I'm arguing with imaginary numbers not posted. haha. Everyone knows way more can go wrong with a plasma. Show me a number of LCDs with burn in. smile.gif
Quote:

My Dad one day came home with a Samsung 61" DLP HDTV back in late 05 or early 2006. I think it cost about $3000 for the TV. It's been awhile..

About a year and a half later it had a shadow issue, Samsung decided to extend service for this and another 6 months later the same thing happened and if I recall right Samsung wouldn't fix it.. so we were pretty bummed and my Dad didn't think he bought an extended warranty and that we were basically SOL and figured we'd have to pay someone to come and fix it.

As I was plugging in an input a few days later I noticed the receipt taped to the back of the TV mentioned a 5 year extended warranty for $500.. we called up and got that fixed.

This TV had about 5 other major issues and failures, a light engine failure, color wheel failure, mirror collapses, honestly I lost track.. the last major one was another light engine failure like two weeks after the replacement light engine was installed... so the warranty company (which was from a bankrupt South Florida electronics store) offered us a $1000 check to be bought out of the warranty/TV.

Overall it was probably close to about 3K in parts and labor (probably more) for the repairs and a cool $1000 to top it off..

My Dad is a guy who rarely ever bought warranties, and considering he forgot about the warranty I'd guessing the store/salesman was pretty sneaky adding it in (there was also a speaker system and stand so things were easily muddled the way they did the receipt)..

As a side story though, make sure you buy it from a good company. This was a store warranty from a regional TV/home theater chain in South Florida that went bankrupt a few years after the purchase and we had to yell and fight to get service done, it was absolutely insane what they'd try to say to refuse service. At one point they were convinced the second light engine failure was a bulb which we already had replaced under warranty so they wouldn't cover it.. days and days of fighting over the phone they decide to ship us a bulb for god knows what reason.

So I install the bulb and same issue, they are convinced I didn't install the bulb right (it was on a track, clicks when installed). We had to bring it to a local TV repairman to get an estimate and have him call and explain the estimate. The lady (always the same lady as well) gave him a ****ing riot act and he had to defend his business, credentials, etc... After that she offered us the $1000 to go away...

So generally I'm kind of pro warranty after this, especially considering that the future of Plasmas is uncertain. If Panasonic is truly exiting the business and not producing anymore TVs then if your TV fails 3 years later it's not as simple as just buying the current year model. I'd rather know my repairs will be covered for the next 5 years, at least until OLED matures.
post #23 of 50 Old 10-21-2013, 12:03 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I will repeat what i said in post #11:

There are several existing Extended Warranty threads floating around here on AVS already (if you care to search for them), and all of them pretty much have the same back and forth arguments both for and against and the same outcome - some people (like me) think the peace of mind is worth the price, while others say they're totally not worth it and a waste of money and are vehemently opposed to them.

Every one of these redundant repetitive threads go over the pros and cons ad-nauseum and always turn into arguements, but there is good information contained in them that can help you make your own decision. Keep in mind that TV prices are so much lower than they were in previous years that the extra money you've saved by not buying the TV in 2012 or 2011 when they were costing more can be put toward an EW that can give you peace of mind for the duration of the EW, and in the small 2-5% chance that the TV fails after the factory warranty expires the EW will more than pay for itself - even if you don't get a full re-imbursement of your purchase price. Like i said earlier EWs have paid off big time for me.

In the end, only YOU can determine if the perceived risk of failure over the next 2-5 years is worth the cost of paying for an EW. Try to think of it as insurance - If you don't think it's worth the extra money then simply don't buy it. Or buy the TV with a good credit card that extends the warranty for an additional year after the factory warranty expires - that's one extra year of coverage for free.

Well said! In the end, I bought the $99 ST warranty through Costco for an $1800 Panny Plazma, which is only 5.5% of the purchase price. I'm covered for 5 years: 1 from Panasonic, 1 from AMEX and 3 from ST. I hope I never need it but if I do, it will be there for 5 years.
post #24 of 50 Old 10-21-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 755
my theory:

warranties are there to protect against DEFECTS, and if you use the tv often, any DEFECT will reveal itself within the year anyway. ESP's tend to give you comfort and promises of protection against USE (or abuse). if you aren't hard on your equipment, it shouldn't be wearing out that quickly.

in other words, it's pretty unlikely for a product being used correctly to last a full year and then fail in 3-5yrs. for any one product, it's a gamble. like putting 300bux down on red at the roulette table. maybe nothing happens and you wasted your money, maybe the tv needs repair and you save some money. but in the long run, the house always wins. the more ESP's you buy, the more likely your will lose money. after not buying 3-4 ESP's you've already saved enough money to pay for a repair out of pocket and come out ahead.

personally, we've only had one TV that needed repair/replacement prematurely(after about 4yrs) and the ESP we did have for that tv was no longer being honoured because the company went out of business. I don't even buy the ESP's that turn into store credit when they expire. even those have so many catches and expiration dates you end up getting burned more often than not.

as somebody else already stated, if they weren't making money selling them, they wouldn't be selling them. the only way they make money, is from you. so if you buy a lot of stuff, I would avoid the ESP's for sure. in the long run, you WILL come out ahead not buying them.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #25 of 50 Old 10-21-2013, 12:09 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcannon0317 View Post

Well said! In the end, I bought the $99 ST warranty through Costco for an $1800 Panny Plazma, which is only 5.5% of the purchase price. I'm covered for 5 years: 1 from Panasonic, 1 from AMEX and 3 from ST. I hope I never need it but if I do, it will be there for 5 years.

How do you finagle the SquareTrade warranty so that it does not begin until year 3? I'm looking to buy the same one and used my AMEX but didn't realize you could sort of "piece it together" that way. Is that something you have to ask ST about? Thanks!

post #26 of 50 Old 10-21-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:

yeah, I started to point out how pathetic he is with the namecalling, but not lowering myself to his level.
post #27 of 50 Old 10-21-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimson11 View Post

How do you finagle the SquareTrade warranty so that it does not begin until year 3? I'm looking to buy the same one and used my AMEX but didn't realize you could sort of "piece it together" that way. Is that something you have to ask ST about? Thanks!
I think they will just adjust it when you do make a claim. Although, I'd sure hate to make a claim after year 1 and them still claim it's not valid until year 3. But it does say if your manufacturer does not honor theirs during the first years, Squaretrade will. Plus you can call them. I had to call them because they had my plasma warranty listed as "LCD".
post #28 of 50 Old 10-21-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You really can't be that dumb. Incident of repair means the percentage of units made that have an issue and whether you make 100 or 1000 a defect rate is a defect rate. And it does not matter what you "think" or can dream up. Plasmas have the lowest defect rate. It's something called math. Panasonic defect rate is less than 3%, Samsung around 5. The majority of LCD/LED are double that.

Tony
post #29 of 50 Old 10-21-2013, 04:10 PM

Because the type of defects plasmas have, such as mine with rising blacks, most people don't notice so of course they don't go in for repair. And even if they do, the people will claim nothing is wrong and not "fix" them. When's the last time you've seen someone complaining an LCD had rising black levels? The types of problems LCDs have are more obvious, so of course it looks like nmore have issues. And most repair palces won't consider burn in as anything defective, either. They just deny all the plasma issues exist, so yeah when most of plasmas' problems are denied it will seem they have lower failure rates.
post #30 of 50 Old 10-22-2013, 06:35 AM

Liked: 10

Just answering my own question here but I called SquareTrade and they told me their warranty runs parallel with the manufacturer's warranty so it's not like you can "tack on" 3 or 4 years at the end of Panasonic/AMEX warranty. Just a heads up.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page