Help me decide.. P65S60, P60ST60 or P65ST60? Questions.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
frankchef0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi, Here's some quick background info. My main room where this tv will be going is 15ft wide by 21ft long. It's a nice large room with a perfect wall for a flat screen. We currently have a Samsung DLP 50 inch but I'm ready to upgrade.

Our viewing distances vary but are somewhere about 14ft from where I sit and my wife sits about 18ft from where the tv will be mounted. We enjoy sitting back from the tv and have had no problems viewing our 50 inch Samsung from these distances. I personally can't sit 7 feet away from a 65 inch tv.

Which leads me to the size of the tv I should purchase. I'm thinking this room can easily hold the 65 inch screen if not larger but that's the largest I can go. Any thoughts..

My next question is picking the right Panasonic Plasma. On the cheaper end I could go with the P65S60. The price is almost unbeatable but it's lacking the bells & whistles. No 3D and most commonly the reflective glare issues.

The P60ST60 is priced nicely but might be a little small in the room. The P65ST60 is probably where I'm leaning. I hate that it's the $700 dollars more than the P60ST60 and it's the same exact tv but 5 inches larger. I guess that's the way it goes.

Based on all this I would love some feedback on the best tv for my room. Thanks..
frankchef0 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankchef0 View Post

Hi, Here's some quick background info. My main room where this tv will be going is 15ft wide by 21ft long. It's a nice large room with a perfect wall for a flat screen. We currently have a Samsung DLP 50 inch but I'm ready to upgrade.

Our viewing distances vary but are somewhere about 14ft from where I sit and my wife sits about 18ft from where the tv will be mounted. We enjoy sitting back from the tv and have had no problems viewing our 50 inch Samsung from these distances. I personally can't sit 7 feet away from a 65 inch tv.

Which leads me to the size of the tv I should purchase. I'm thinking this room can easily hold the 65 inch screen if not larger but that's the largest I can go. Any thoughts..

My next question is picking the right Panasonic Plasma. On the cheaper end I could go with the P65S60. The price is almost unbeatable but it's lacking the bells & whistles. No 3D and most commonly the reflective glare issues.

The P60ST60 is priced nicely but might be a little small in the room. The P65ST60 is probably where I'm leaning. I hate that it's the $700 dollars more than the P60ST60 and it's the same exact tv but 5 inches larger. I guess that's the way it goes.

Based on all this I would love some feedback on the best tv for my room. Thanks..

if the room is dim/dark when you do most of your viewing, you'll be fine with the reflective screen of the S60... if you have bright overhead lights or direct sunlight hitting the screen, the AR filter on the ST60 (and S64 if you can still get one) will be a good idea

as far as PQ goes, the ST60 can get significantly brighter than the S60 and might have slightly better blacks due to a bit darker black filter (infinite black pro vs. infinite black), but the S60 is still a solid performer... if you don't care about the added smart features and 3D capability of the ST60 (and also don't need a third HDMI input), you might just want to save some money and get the 65" S60
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
frankchef0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

if the room is dim/dark when you do most of your viewing, you'll be fine with the reflective screen of the S60... if you have bright overhead lights or direct sunlight hitting the screen, the AR filter on the ST60 (and S64 if you can still get one) will be a good idea

as far as PQ goes, the ST60 can get significantly brighter than the S60 and might have slightly better blacks due to a bit darker black filter (infinite black pro vs. infinite black), but the S60 is still a solid performer... if you don't care about the added smart features and 3D capability of the ST60 (and also don't need a third HDMI input), you might just want to save some money and get the 65" S60


I appreciate the feedback. I can honestly say that my room is not a bright room and there are no overhead lights that shine brightly. There are large windows against the back wall of the room but I've never considered this a bright room, even during the day when the sun is shining. And evening and into the night it's even more dim. Which leads me to believe that the reflective glare issue of the P65S60 wouldn't be a problem at all. I know that 3D doesn't interest me and I'm sure I can get by with two HDMI inputs. So if I was smart I would probably save myself quite a bit of money and buy S60.

I do like all the bells & whistles that P65ST60 even though I'm sure I could live without them. My biggest concern is picture quality and if the ST60 picture is much better I would probably lean towards spending the extra money and splurging on the ST60.

I'll keep reading reviews of each tv and watch the pricing on Amazon. I'm hoping the P65ST60 comes down a bit in price. Thanks..
frankchef0 is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RWetmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 3,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I would guess the ST60 has a little better PQ. I notice some banding on the S60 that I didn't notice on my prior ST50, which has double the gradation steps as the S60. The ST60 also has double the gradation steps as the S60. Overall, I think the video processing of the ST60 is likely a little better. The question is -- is it worth the price difference? You'll have to decide that.
RWetmore is online now  
post #5 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

I would guess the ST60 has a little better PQ. I notice some banding on the S60 that I didn't notice on my prior ST50, which has double the gradation steps as the S60. The ST60 also has double the gradation steps as the S60. Overall, I think the video processing of the ST60 is likely a little better. The question is -- is it worth the price difference? You'll have to decide that.

After owning my 50" S60 for three weeks now, I can say that with high quality BD movies, I see little to no color banding. The thing is not all BD movies are created equal and so the lesser ones will show more color banding.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
frankchef0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post

I would guess the ST60 has a little better PQ. I notice some banding on the S60 that I didn't notice on my prior ST50, which has double the gradation steps as the S60. The ST60 also has double the gradation steps as the S60. Overall, I think the video processing of the ST60 is likely a little better. The question is -- is it worth the price difference? You'll have to decide that.

I'm not in a super rush to make the purchase so I'm going to keep trying to find ways to justify splurging for the P65ST60. I know inventory at some point has to be getting low and I don't want to wait so long that I'll miss out but I'll keep price checking and see where it goes. I notice that pricing on Amazon can drop $100 in a heartbeat but also jump back up just as quickly.

I've been working my ass off lately so I'm going to look at spending the extra cash on the P65ST60 a treat to myself. Amazon has 0% financing for 24 months so if I pull the trigger on the more expensive ST60 I'll still only be looking at a payment of around $100 a month for 2yrs and that's including tax and a five year Square Trade Ext. Warranty.

Much easier for me to do the monthly if it's not going to cost me anything versus dropping $2400 in one shot. Thanks..
frankchef0 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankchef0 View Post

I'm not in a super rush to make the purchase so I'm going to keep trying to find ways to justify splurging for the P65ST60. I know inventory at some point has to be getting low and I don't want to wait so long that I'll miss out but I'll keep price checking and see where it goes. I notice that pricing on Amazon can drop $100 in a heartbeat but also jump back up just as quickly.

I've been working my ass off lately so I'm going to look at spending the extra cash on the P65ST60 a treat to myself. Amazon has 0% financing for 24 months so if I pull the trigger on the more expensive ST60 I'll still only be looking at a payment of around $100 a month for 2yrs and that's including tax and a five year Square Trade Ext. Warranty.

Much easier for me to do the monthly if it's not going to cost me anything versus dropping $2400 in one shot. Thanks..

Also, if you are a serious gamer, the S60 has about half the input lag of the ST60. This doesn't matter to all gamers, but it's a difference worth mentioning.
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 10-20-2013, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
frankchef0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

Also, if you are a serious gamer, the S60 has about half the input lag of the ST60. This doesn't matter to all gamers, but it's a difference worth mentioning.

No gaming at all and never will. I did read about the input lag on ST's but figured since I didn't game it would affect me. Not too mention I have no idea what it even means.

I'm all about movies, sports, concert dvd's, nature shows, etc. Anything that looks good in HD. I'm pretty sure I've been with Directv long enough that they give me just about anything I ask for. So if I go for the ST60 with the 3D I'll probably upgrade my current HD DVR to a 3D HD DVR. If I'm understanding it correctly. Oh, and then upgrade my Blu Ray disc player to 3D also. Does that all sound right?

I have heard that the ST's don't have the greatest built in speakers? I'm planning on running the tv through my home stereo so again I'm not too worried about an internal tv speaker. Read somewhere that you might not be able to turn it off?
frankchef0 is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 10-21-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 509
If you enable the HDMI Viera link and select Home Theater Speaker as default they remain disabled as long as that feature is on

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
chunon is online now  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P65st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off