Difficult decision to make on Home Theater setup (Plasma vs. Projector) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey everybody,

Ok, so here's my situation, looking for feedback on what my best option would be...

I live in an apartment where the living room is roughly 13 feet in length, with a large wall, and opposite the wall is a bay window (eastern facing)

Given the viewing distance, I'm concerned even a 65 inch plasma might seem a tad small. But, on the other hand, a projector might not be a great plan either, since I don't want to have to bathe in darkness to be able to watch anything mid day. But on the other other hand, windows face east, so only direct light is morning, and I never watch tv in the morning.

My budget is around 3k, and I'm fairly good at negotiating. I could potentially get a 65ZT60 for about 3k too. wink.gif

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Not sure what the best course of action would be. THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 868
can you control lighting (both ambient and reflected) and are you willing/wanting to watch in near complete darkness all the time?

if so, go projector. something like the jvc x35(this is what I have) can match blacks and apparent contrast with the best plasma's on the market today. but ONLY if you can get the room completely dark. any ambient or reflected lighting will raise black levels, and it doesn't take that much to go from inky plasma black to crappy LCD grey

on the other hand, plasma's have apparently reached their pinnacle of performance. Samsung might be the only one to release a better plasma next year, and it may be difficult to find plasma's in a year or two. projectors are still improving and chances are next years model will be better than this years, and cost less. so it might be an ok time to get a plasma and you can add a projector later.

or, grab yourself a 60" ST60 for daytime/casual viewing, and pair it with a good value projector like a benq 1070, and you can get both for your 3k budget.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #3 of 5 Old 10-21-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Are there any resources online with examples of ideal ambient lighting? I mean, room setup a with windows and a projector but it doesn't hurt the picture too badly? Trying to get an idea of what would be considered acceptable light.
post #4 of 5 Old 10-22-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrutape View Post

Are there any resources online with examples of ideal ambient lighting? I mean, room setup a with windows and a projector but it doesn't hurt the picture too badly? Trying to get an idea of what would be considered acceptable light.

this is the best i've seen: http://www.avintegrated.com/lighting.html

but generally speaking, no ambient light is ok if you want/expect plasma like contrast and blacks. the reflected light from most rooms(that aren't covered in black velvet) will be about the most light bouncing around the room a reasonably priced projector can compete with.

no sunlight, or any lights aimed at the screen will work, at all. you can get your seating area reasonably bright, but you need directional lighting for that to be plausible.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #5 of 5 Old 10-26-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, that's like...EXACTLY the kind of info I was looking for! Lol. Thank you!

Think it's gonna be plasma then, because I definitely don't have THAT much light control. Perfect, decision made. smile.gif
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page