Panasonic TC-P65S60 Gaming Settings? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 10-22-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi everyone,

I just got the Panasonic TC-P65S60 today and I bought it for playing video games primarily.  Does anyone have any settings that I could use to get the most out of my TV?  I play mainly first and third person shooters like Battlefield and Grand Theft Auto 5.

Any help or referral links would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Jeff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 10-22-2013, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuggies View Post

Hi everyone,

I just got the Panasonic TC-P65S60 today and I bought it for playing video games primarily.  Does anyone have any settings that I could use to get the most out of my TV?  I play mainly first and third person shooters like Battlefield and Grand Theft Auto 5.

Any help or referral links would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Jeff

Please don't waste that set on just video games.eek.gif Set it up in the Cinema mode and find some Blu-Rays to rent!

Ian biggrin.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 51 Old 10-23-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ian,

You know, I just bought my first Blu-Ray but it was only because it had the THX test in Terminator 2!

I mostly stream content but yes I should watch more Blu-Rays!

Any hints on the best/settings calibration for this TV?

post #4 of 51 Old 10-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
how is the brightness on that TV?

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #5 of 51 Old 10-23-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

So far not crazy bright.  I'm still new to the set so I'm not totally sure what I'm in for.  I did find the sweet spot for GTA 5 using the game's brightness settings.  I was blown away at how bad ass it looked!  

Still looking for a great gaming set up though!

post #6 of 51 Old 10-23-2013, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuggies View Post

So far not crazy bright.  I'm still new to the set so I'm not totally sure what I'm in for.  I did find the sweet spot for GTA 5 using the game's brightness settings.  I was blown away at how bad ass it looked!  

Still looking for a great gaming set up though!
My concern on this set is the brightness - I saw it on PC Richards the other nite in a 60 ' - they are selling open box and to me it just looked too dark.

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #7 of 51 Old 10-23-2013, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

I pretty much got mine for free from a warranty on a 60" LG so I'm pretty happy.  I wanted something big, Panasonic and no 3D so this was it.  Hulu has been awesome as well.

post #8 of 51 Old 10-23-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

My concern on this set is the brightness - I saw it on PC Richards the other nite in a 60 ' - they are selling open box and to me it just looked too dark.

the Standard mode these sets default too has energy saving on and panel brightness low

switch to Cinema or Custom mode and use Panel Brightness Mid to get a real idea of how bright this set is (and make sure energy saving is in the 'standard' position... that turns it off)
post #9 of 51 Old 10-23-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U View Post

the Standard mode these sets default too has energy saving on and panel brightness low

switch to Cinema or Custom mode and use Panel Brightness Mid to get a real idea of how bright this set is (and make sure energy saving is in the 'standard' position... that turns it off)

Just my two cents, but according to Lee at Review.com (who I have been corresponding with by email), mid to high level brightness settings tend to compound grey scale errors, and reduce black levels. For most normal lighting conditions, even at the low setting, the set is plenty bright. If it still seems dim to the viewer, they probably won't be satisfied with a plasma anyhow.

Ian

post #10 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Just my two cents, but according to Lee at Review.com (who I have been corresponding with by email), mid to high level brightness settings tend to compound grey scale errors, and reduce black levels. For most normal lighting conditions, even at the low setting, the set is plenty bright. If it still seems dim to the viewer, they probably won't be satisfied with a plasma anyhow.

Ian

Not at all accurate (regarding panel brightness mid). Most calibrators on this forum use mid panel brightness, including D-Nice, Chad B, Buzzard, and others. I have compared blacks levels between Low, Mid, and High on the S60; they are all the exact same based on measurements using a 0% black field and my C6. I also have no grayscale error issues with Mid. High is not recommend by most, and there are many good reasons for that (including stuff like major white crush at 95% white and above). However, Mid is ideal and is actually better in some cases then Low, which according to Chad B can sometimes raise the black level.

I would read reviews from such sources with a grain of salt and the advice offered by the pro calibrators on this forum is generally more reliable than most review sites (including CNET.com and CR.org).

Also, since I have an i1pro (rev d) spectro, C6 colorimeter, and CalMAN 5 Enthusiast, I have the chance to confirm what I read on forums and review sites myself (which can help dispel myths or misinformation). It's one thing to just follow advice from someone else on the internet without having the gear to verify things yourself... it's another to be able to come to your own conclusions by having access to the TV and the calibration gear yourself.

Just in case it's not clear, I'm not trying to be rude here. I just want to make the point that not everything you read on review sites can always be trusted and the observations you can make for yourself should take precedence over those of others on the internet (especially if you don't know much about their credentials). I've seen my fair share of review sites that don't know what they're doing/talking about based on their comments and test methodology.
post #11 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Nice post and that mirrors what I have read and seen with my calibrations smile.gif Any more changes in black level on your set or has that evened out ?

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #12 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Nice post and that mirrors what I have read and seen with my calibrations smile.gif Any more changes in black level on your set or has that evened out ?

The last time I checked it, it was around 0.0028-0.0030 fL. However, that was in the low 200's. I'm am now around 250 hours, so I'll check it again (and also check it with low and high PB just to see those two are still the exact same).
post #13 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Cool bet it looks nice, Chad calibrated my ST Tuesday night and I am blown away smile.gif

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #14 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Cool bet it looks nice, Chad calibrated my ST Tuesday night and I am blown away smile.gif

I also plan on doing a calibration in Custom.
post #15 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not at all accurate (regarding panel brightness mid). Most calibrators on this forum use mid panel brightness, including D-Nice, Chad B, Buzzard, and others. I have compared blacks levels between Low, Mid, and High on the S60; they are all the exact same based on measurements using a 0% black field and my C6. I also have no grayscale error issues with Mid. High is not recommend by most, and there are many good reasons for that (including stuff like major white crush at 95% white and above). However, Mid is ideal and is actually better in some cases then Low, which according to Chad B can sometimes raise the black level.

I would read reviews from such sources with a grain of salt and the advice offered by the pro calibrators on this forum is generally more reliable than most review sites (including CNET.com and CR.org).

Also, since I have an i1pro (rev d) spectro, C6 colorimeter, and CalMAN 5 Enthusiast, I have the chance to confirm what I read on forums and review sites myself (which can help dispel myths or misinformation). It's one thing to just follow advice from someone else on the internet without having the gear to verify things yourself... it's another to be able to come to your own conclusions by having access to the TV and the calibration gear yourself.

Just in case it's not clear, I'm not trying to be rude here. I just want to make the point that not everything you read on review sites can always be trusted and the observations you can make for yourself should take precedence over those of others on the internet (especially if you don't know much about their credentials). I've seen my fair share of review sites that don't know what they're doing/talking about based on their comments and test methodology.

I understand exactly what your saying and I respect your opinion. As a former TV production assistant and marketing professional in the consumer electronics business, I know to take the reviews that I read with a grain of salt. However, if your read my post, I mentioned that I've been in contact with Lee via email. He is a professional ISF certified calibrator and has recently been doing extended testing on an S60 and has been sharing with me some of his results. At this point I'm not questioning Chad's data or any one else who is a qualified, since there are different standards and equipment used for measurement. Also worth considering is the fact that these are entry level panels which are mass produced. When all is said and done, these variables can render slightly different results.

Ian

post #16 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand exactly what your saying and I respect your opinion. As a former TV production assistant and marketing professional in the consumer electronics business, I know to take the reviews that I read with a grain of salt. However, if your read my post, I mentioned that I've been in contact with Lee via email. He is a professional ISF certified calibrator and has recently been doing extended testing on an S60 and has been sharing with me some of his results. At this point I'm not questioning Chad's data or any one else who is a qualified, since there are different standards and equipment used for measurement. Also worth considering is the fact that these are entry level panels which are mass produced. When all is said and done, these variables can render slightly different results.

Ian

That's fine. Like I said, the general consensus here is that PB High is to be avoided unless you have access to an external video processor box and Mid is the preferred setting (which, BTW if you find too bright you can still lower the contrast to get the desired light output). Low does have the potential for other issues like black level that Chad B mentioned but another reason for not using it is that it's noticeably dimmer than Mid for a given contrast setting (like the default 85, for example).
post #17 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The last time I checked it, it was around 0.0028-0.0030 fL. However, that was in the low 200's. I'm am now around 250 hours, so I'll check it again (and also check it with low and high PB just to see those two are still the exact same).

Still getting that range and for all three PB positions (Low, Mid, and High)

EDIT: After more extensive use of the Screen Wipe feature, I got 0.0025-0.0026 fL. However, it doesn't matter whether I use Cinema or Custom mode and nor does it matter what Panel Brightness is set to.

(taken at 255 hours)
post #18 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's fine. Like I said, the general consensus here is that PB High is to be avoided unless you have access to an external video processor box and Mid is the preferred setting (which, BTW if you find too bright you can still lower the contrast to get the desired light output). Low does have the potential for other issues like black level that Chad B mentioned but another reason for not using it is that it's noticeably dimmer than Mid for a given contrast setting (like the default 85, for example).

As long as you're not sacrificing BL or gamma, brighter is usually better. That being said, when I compared an S60 and the Samsung 5300 under the bright lights of Best Buy in the cinema/movie mode, I had to raise the Samsung's cell light to 50% (default is 0) to get it even close to the brightness of the S60 on low. All the reviews I've read show the peak brightness for the 5300 significantly higher, but my eyes told me otherwise.

Ian

post #19 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

As long as you're not sacrificing BL or gamma, brighter is usually better. That being said, when I compared an S60 and the Samsung 5300 under the bright lights of Best Buy in the cinema/movie mode, I had to raise the Samsung's cell light to 50% (default is 0) to get it even close to the brightness of the S60 on low. All the reviews I've read show the peak brightness for the 5300 significantly higher, but my eyes told me otherwise.

Ian
Disagree I saw both today and what I did see on the Panny was a more natural color - a soccer match was on @ PC Richards and the Sammy had like a "moss green" and the Panny showed dark textures to the grass .... now I have no idea what settings were on which ....just my eye picked up on it.

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #20 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Disagree I saw both today and what I did see on the Panny was a more natural color - a soccer match was on @ PC Richards and the Sammy had like a "moss green" and the Panny showed dark textures to the grass .... now I have no idea what settings were on which ....just my eye picked up on it.

I agree, the Panny does have a better picture, which has little to do with the peak brightness I was referring to. I always adjust the settings on sets that I like to compare. I try to get them as close as I can. Cinema/Movie is the most accurate in terms of specification. It's the only mode I use or recommend.

Ian

post #21 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree, the Panny does have a better picture, which has little to do with the peak brightness I was referring to. I always adjust the settings on sets that I like to compare. I try to get them as close as I can. Cinema/Movie is the most accurate in terms of specification. It's the only mode I use or recommend.

Ian
So you watch the Giants - Jets - Rangers -Devils etc in Movie mode? hmmm can you post a pic of that ?

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #22 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I also plan on doing a calibration in Custom.

Custom calibrates identical to Cinema once you put the same values in and turn off any unwanted crap. The only difference being the main Color control needs to be 3 clicks lower (46 in Cinema vs. 43 in Custom).
post #23 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 149
Quote:

Custom calibrates identical to Cinema once you put the same values in and turn off any unwanted crap. The only difference being the main Color control needs to be 3 clicks lower (46 in Cinema vs. 43 in Custom).

I found that not to be the case, Custom always had it's average dE off more than in Cinema. I couldn't ever get them to dial in as close as I could with Cinema, maybe it's possible with a ton more work but not sure. Either way, color accuracy is not something that is needed when gaming as games don't really adhere to any standard.

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings
Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings
HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT660 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60
post #24 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's my measurements in Custom using the same settings as Cinema, except for color (reduced to 43 from 46 in Cinema):

Settings:

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Custom
Contrast: 90
Brightness: -1
Color: 43
Tint: +2
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm 2
Vivid Color: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off
MPEG NR: Off

-- Pro settings submenu
Panel brightness: Mid
AGC: 0
Black extension: 0
Color Gamut: Normal

W/B detail adjustment menu:
W/B high R: -2
W/B high G: 0
W/B high B: 0
W/B low R: 4
W/B low G: 0
W/B low B: -3

Color detail adjustment menu:
Red hue: 0
Red Saturation: 0
Red luminance: 0
Green hue: 0
Green Saturation: 0
Green luminance: 0
Blue hue: 0
Blue Saturation: 0
Blue luminance: 0

Gamma detail adjustment menu:
Gamma: 2.4

--Advanced picture submenu
24p Direct in: 60Hz
3:2 pulldown: On [often grayed out depending on source]
1080p pixel direct: Off [often grayed out depending on source]
HDMI content type: [all Off]
HDMI/DVI RGB range: [all Standard (16-235)]
Black level: Light
post #25 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So you watch the Giants - Jets - Rangers -Devils etc in Movie mode? hmmm can you post a pic of that ?

Yes, it's calibrated to give you the most accurate picture regardless of what you are watching. It will also give you the most consistent picture quality from channel to channel and source to source. As far as taking a picture, my wife misplaced my digital camera. rolleyes.gif( I've kind of given up on the Giants though. Hopefully Reese will wake up and make some much needed changes for next year).

Ian

post #26 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Here's my measurements in Custom using the same settings as Cinema, except for color (reduced to 43 from 46 in Cinema):

Settings:

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Custom
Contrast: 90
Brightness: -1
Color: 43
Tint: +2
Sharpness: 0
Color temp: Warm 2
Vivid Color: Off
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off
MPEG NR: Off

-- Pro settings submenu
Panel brightness: Mid
AGC: 0
Black extension: 0
Color Gamut: Normal

W/B detail adjustment menu:
W/B high R: -2
W/B high G: 0
W/B high B: 0
W/B low R: 4
W/B low G: 0
W/B low B: -3

Color detail adjustment menu:
Red hue: 0
Red Saturation: 0
Red luminance: 0
Green hue: 0
Green Saturation: 0
Green luminance: 0
Blue hue: 0
Blue Saturation: 0
Blue luminance: 0

Gamma detail adjustment menu:
Gamma: 2.4

--Advanced picture submenu
24p Direct in: 60Hz
3:2 pulldown: On [often grayed out depending on source]
1080p pixel direct: Off [often grayed out depending on source]
HDMI content type: [all Off]
HDMI/DVI RGB range: [all Standard (16-235)]
Black level: Light
for someone so advanced and on target with all of this stuff - I'm shocked you'd have the s60 over the st60?

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #27 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 09:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ian
do you do calibrations? or know a solid person in NJ?

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #28 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

for someone so advanced and on target with all of this stuff - I'm shocked you'd have the s60 over the st60?

I can't speak for him, but under controlled lighting, bot sets are remarkably close. If you don't have the need for an AR filter, 3D or smart TV apps, it's
probably worth the savings.

Quote:

do you do calibrations? or know a solid person in NJ?

Sorry, never had the need for one. Chad B and DNice travel all over, but they don't come cheap. I usually suggest getting a good calibration disc like the one from Spears & Munsil. They provide plenty of info and test patterns to help you tweak the settings and get the most out of your set with out a pro calibration, which is usually more cost effective on the more expensive sets.

Ian

post #29 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can't speak for him, but under controlled lighting, bot sets are remarkably close. If you don't have the need for an AR filter, 3D or smart TV apps, it's
probably worth the savings.

Ian
I read a few reviews that say the infinite black panel is only on the higher end models and the s60 doesn't touch the blacks of the st60?

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #30 of 51 Old 10-24-2013, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read a few reviews that say the infinite black panel is only on the higher end models and the s60 doesn't touch the blacks of the st60?

I've read the contrary and Lee confirmed that his measurements on both sets were very close. The ST60 is bit brighter and offers better contrast, but in a dim room you probably wouldn't notice much difference.

Ian

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65s60 65 Inch 1080p 600hz Plasma Hdtv , Grand Theft Auto V
Gear in this thread - P65s60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page