Pioneer PDP503PU Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-28-2013, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello,

I recently found a Pioneer PDP503PU next to the dumpster (on the floor) and I thought to myself I might as well try to keep it and see whats wrong. I recently tried to turn it on with just the power cord plugged in and got a E01 error. After looking it up on Google, I thought that it was due to not recieving any signal. So, I bought myself a DVI-D male-to-male cord, VGA Male-to-DVI-I Female, and a USB-to-VGA port. And after starting it up, I'm still getting a E01 error. So, I am wondering if its because of the mistake I made during the DVI-to-VGA conversion or something that is not working right in the tv itself

Also, the green light stays on for 3-4 seconds and off 3-4 seconds and back on for the same time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-28-2013, 05:54 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 472
I'm virtually positive that is a model that also came with an external media center box (which contains the tuner and audio video inputs). This box connects to the display panel using a special proprietary Pioneer cable that is as hard to find as a good working media center box is. The media centers were very unreliable and failed often even while still under warranty. They are very hard to find, and very expensive to repair even if parts are still available (probably not). That could be why the panel is in the trash - it's useless without a working box.

If you're trying to get the panel to display anything directly without that all-important media center box, then it won't work. They have a symbiotic relationship in that the panel will only accept a signal from that box.
newkingz likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 6 Old 10-28-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

I'm virtually positive that is a model that also came with an external media center box (which contains the tuner and audio video inputs). This box connects to the display panel using a special proprietary Pioneer cable that is as hard to find as a good working media center box is. The media centers were very unreliable and failed often even while still under warranty. They are very hard to find, and very expensive to repair even if parts are still available (probably not). That could be why the panel is in the trash - it's useless without a working box.

If you're trying to get the panel to display anything directly without that all-important media center box, then it won't work. They have a symbiotic relationship in that the panel will only accept a signal from that box.

Ah, I didn't know that. Although I did know that the tv came with the media center box, however; I assumed that if I didn't have it then the I just won't be able to watch DVDS, TV, and etc, but I will still be able to connect it directly to my laptop and use it as a monitor. I guess I was wrong. 

Just so, to make it clear, this tv will not work at all without the media center?

Welp, it looks like I just have a perfectly working plasma tv without the media center. 

post #4 of 6 Old 10-28-2013, 08:54 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkingz View Post

Ah, I didn't know that. Although I did know that the tv came with the media center box, however; I assumed that if I didn't have it then the I just won't be able to watch DVDS, TV, and etc, but I will still be able to connect it directly to my laptop and use it as a monitor. I guess I was wrong.  Just so, to make it clear, this tv will not work at all without the media center?

It's not designed to be used without the media center and i can't remember anyone ever having success, but i remembered a previous thread where a guy had some minor success and i just found it:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1228888/pioneer-pdp503pu

Quote:
Welp, it looks like I just have a perfectly working plasma tv without the media center. 

Well technically it's not a TV, it's just a monitor or maybe even just a display wink.gif

Maybe you can get it to display an image using the info in that thread and a 720p source.

Otherwise, it would make a nice coffee table biggrin.gif

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-31-2013, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, Randy!

I have recently found a PDP-R030U for under $100, however; the seller said that he did not have a plasma tv to connect it to and see if it works. He does say the unit does power on. 

The media center is known to have problems, but how do I know if this unit he is trying to sell is broken? 

post #6 of 6 Old 10-31-2013, 09:01 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by newkingz View Post

Thanks for the help, Randy! I have recently found a PDP-R030U for under $100, however; the seller said that he did not have a plasma tv to connect it to and see if it works. He does say the unit does power on.  The media center is known to have problems, but how do I know if this unit he is trying to sell is broken? 

It may power on but not output a signal. I think the only way to know if it works is to connect it to a panel that works and see if you get a picture and can navigate the menus etc.

Which brings up another question - what if his box actually works, but you think it's bad because the panel is actually faulty?

If he's a trusting soul, maybe he'd be willing to let you test it on your panel to see if it works, and if it does work, then you can pay him for it? It might be hard for him to get anyone to buy it if he can't confirm that it will indeed display an image on the panel.

Randy
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page