Would you? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-28-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi,

I was wondering if any of you would be willing to pay someone a reasonable fee to find you an item of any kind?

Example... Say you are dead set on owning a Pioneer Kuro model x and you simply don't have the time to scour the web to find it. Perhaps you aren't tech savvy enough to know where on the web to look or perhaps you don't have the means to look i.e. maybe you don't own a computer (although rare, I know people who don't). Hell, maybe you've been looking for weeks and just plain run out of patience to continue looking... Would you be willing to pay someone to find and locate said tv or any item for that matter for you - at the very best price possible? Maybe even deliver it to you?

Any thoughts would be great. Positive or negative.

Thanks

- Jaymz

Carpe Diem!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-29-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 581
personally I would not, it sounds pretty silly to me, but i'm not even close to the description of the possible client.

I would think for a service like this to work, delivery/relocation should be part of the service. that is, going with the kuro thing, chances are if somebody local is selling a kuro, it'll be easy for me to find, but the trouble might be getting it home. or even better if you can get a non-local product shipped in. obviously buying something used is as is where is, and that's a difficulty for some ppl. if you can not only find me the product, but bring it to me as well, then your possible clients aren't just the 1% of ppl that don't know how to work a computer

you just need to make sure you are offering a real service. do more than simply google search and then copy/paste the link to them.
the last time I sold a car, somebody left me a message on my phone saying for 50bux they would guarantee my car sells within a week for asking price. if it didn't sell, I didn't owe them anything. at first I thought, hey, for 50bux that's not a bad deal, I would have taken a couple hundred less than asking. then I thought, wait, what is this guy going to be doing? probably nothing, he just makes a ton of this calls and hopes somebody eventually does sell their car for asking and he gets 50bux for doing nothing to help that sale anyway.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #3 of 4 Old 10-29-2013, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My best friend was just laid off and is considering starting his own business (and I'm considering helping him) where he will basically act as the liason or (finder) between a buyer and seller for any commodity but especially rare or hard to find items such as a specific model of Kuro or a car etc, etc.

Everything you said makes perfect sense! Not only finding but delivering would be key. The only problem to run into with a find and deliver type service is, what if the client decides he/she doesn't like said product once delivered? This would be especially detrimental to the service provider, especially if they sourced said product from out of state...

Good feedback though, please keep them coming!

- Jaymz

Carpe Diem!
post #4 of 4 Old 10-30-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha-Dog View Post

My best friend was just laid off and is considering starting his own business (and I'm considering helping him) where he will basically act as the liason or (finder) between a buyer and seller for any commodity but especially rare or hard to find items such as a specific model of Kuro or a car etc, etc.

Everything you said makes perfect sense! Not only finding but delivering would be key. The only problem to run into with a find and deliver type service is, what if the client decides he/she doesn't like said product once delivered? This would be especially detrimental to the service provider, especially if they sourced said product from out of state...

Good feedback though, please keep them coming!

take a non-refundable deposit before shipping? i do think there's a possible market here, as long as you can give the perception of a good value for your services

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page