Please help me decide between a P50ST60 and a P55VT60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-31-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm itching to buy a new plasma to replace my 8 year old 42" 720p Panny plasma. It's still got plenty of life left, but with Panasonic leaving the plasma game I'd like to get in on one of their best sets before they are lost forever. However, I need some advice.

If the place I'm purchasing from will price match, and I apply a gift card that I have, I can get, for out of pocket, a:

P50ST60 for $539.00 (or the 55" for $905.00)
P55VT60 for $1,275.00
(remember, these are after I use a gift card I have)

The TV will be in a well lit room (lots of windows, but no sunlight will be shining directly on the TV.) Currently, I have a Roku and an XBMC box hooked up, but would like to dump the ROKU (and possible they XBMC box and stream through DLNP from my Plex Server) so a Smart TV appeals to me. Plus, while 3D is a novelty, I wouldn't mind watching a few movies in 3D (mainly Pixar or something), but not everything.

The wall where the TV will hang to the back wall where the couch will sit is ~192". However, I've tried a 60" in the past and it caused us headaches. The distance from the wall to the viewing areas is anywhere between 144" to 180" depending if you are on a side couch or the back couch. I was to pursue a 55", but my wife only wants to go 50". I'm trying to convince her otherwise, but before I bite the bullet would a 55" be too big for this room? We are also looking at purchasing a new house within the next 1-2 years and we hope the living area will be able to accommodate something even larger, so I want something more "future-proof".

As for the two TVs, comparing the two 55" TVs would it be worth spending and extra $370 for the VT over the ST? Would I truly notice anything different between the two?

Would 55" be too large and should I just stick with the 50"? Or would it be better to just wait until the 42" dies or I move? I'm not sure if I will see such a great discount on a wonderful TV in the next X amount of years?

Thanks for any feedback.

Best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-31-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Most people would consider even a 65" size set to be small for the distances you say people will be sitting from the display.

You and your wife should visit a store to view the different models and sizes in person. Take along a measuring tape to gauge how the various sizes look from the distances you are going to be viewing from at home.

Here is a link to a handy interactive tool for to determine seating distances by panel sizes. It is in metric numbers, but you can find a metric to feet conversion chart using google.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1229341535

Only you and your wife can decide which model and size will work for you in your viewing conditions. Visit some stores and do the research. Good luck.smile.gif
post #3 of 8 Old 10-31-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

Most people would consider even a 65" size set to be small for the distances you say people will be sitting from the display.

You and your wife should visit a store to view the different models and sizes in person. Take along a measuring tape to gauge how the various sizes look from the distances you are going to be viewing from at home.

Here is a link to a handy interactive tool for to determine seating distances by panel sizes. It is in metric numbers, but you can find a metric to feet conversion chart using google.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.php?subaction=showfull&id=1229341535

Only you and your wife can decide which model and size will work for you in your viewing conditions. Visit some stores and do the research. Good luck.smile.gif

I always thought the distance you should sit is the size of the screen multiplied by 3 (so 60" x 3 is 180" away or 15 feet). Is that no longer the case? Like I said, it's been 8 years since my last TV purchase.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-31-2013, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpi0wn View Post

I always thought the distance you should sit is the size of the screen multiplied by 3 (so 60" x 3 is 180" away or 15 feet). Is that no longer the case? Like I said, it's been 8 years since my last TV purchase.

It still comes down to individual viewing preferences, and the quality of their vision. We humans are all over the map on that, with some not even able to see color at all, and young eyes tend to be much sharper than those of older people, so there really is no case of one distance measurement fits all. Keep in mind that you are used to watching a 720P set, where one has to sit further back than from the same size 1080P display, to avoid noticing the screen door effect on the set with the much lower resolution. Just go to the stores and scout the units in person and check out how they look from various distances.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-01-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Well, we took a look at a local store and decided that the P55VT60 would be a nice set to have. We didn't notice a ton of difference between the ST60 and VT60, but figured for less than $400 more we may as well get the upgraded set. So, I ordered it online for $1599 ($1275 after my gift cards). I'm just sad that it won't arrive until Wednesday. frown.gif I can't wait to hang it!

Thanks for all of your advice!

Best
post #6 of 8 Old 11-05-2013, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Groupon has the Datacolor Spyder3 TV Home-Theater Colorimeter for $50. I'm new to this caliber TV. Would it be worth investing the $50 for a device like this?
post #7 of 8 Old 11-05-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 492
I don't believe that is very accurate. What software would you be using ? You would be better off with a C3/Calman package from Spectracal for about $100 more imo The VT60 has alot of calibration horsepower and there is a steep learning curve at first.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #8 of 8 Old 11-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 56
vThe VT60 has even more accurate color and darker blacks then the ST60. I would choose the VT60 if you are willing to spend more. The ST60 I think is a little brighter but I am not sure. The filter on the VT60 is superior for ambient light reflections. THX mode is more accurate then ST60 Cinema mode factory default settings. Black level and contrast on the VT60 is superior. I own the ST60 . It's blacks are quite a bit darker then my Samsung D6500. Which appeared quite greyish. ST60 is the best bang for the picture quality bucks hands down.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page