Panasonic Plasma 60U50 - screen needed or will sell for parts - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-01-2013, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 60U50 that has only been used for less that 50 hours. Last weekend a ping pong paddle hit the screen and cracked the internal plasma display. Wondering if anyone knows of a website that sells used parts. I think Panasonic wants over a $1000 for the plasma but I thought there might be a source for someone that fried their electronics and was looking to sell the display.

If I can't find one, I'll probably be looking to sell the boards and components from this set if anyone is interested.

I did order a new 65S60 as a replacement to this set. I hope the S60 looks as good as the U50.

Rick

Screen crack - U50.JPG 392k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen crack - U50.JPG (391.9 KB, 3 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-01-2013, 08:17 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 500
If the TV was on when the panel got cracked, it's very possible that the sudden "panel failure" also did some collateral electronic damage to some boards (very common).

If the TV was OFF when the panel got cracked, and if you have not tried to power it up with a cracked panel then the boards probably survived since there was no surge.

That may help you decide whether to just sell the TV for parts (i wouldn't bother breaking it down and selling individual boards if don't know if they survived or not), or risk throwing more money at it in the hope of getting it to work again.

On the bright side, the S60 is a big improvement over the U50 wink.gif

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 3 Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Randy -

The set was on when the paddle hit the screen. The screen went blank immediately and the power LED was blinking 7 times.

Would a repair shop have a way to test boards prior to me buying a new screen or prior to me selling the set for parts?

Rick
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page