Help 65VT50 Blacks look horrible after a few hours of viewing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-03-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I tried googling this, but nothing posted anywhere so far.

So a few days ago I bought Lego Marvel for the PS3. As we played I noticed that it appeared that the dark scenes and black areas of the scene seem to go from the deep blacks to a washed out grey. Thinking it was just the game itself I played on. But when it became unbearable I turned the game off and watched TV. When I fired up Gold Rush on the DVR the colors all looked out of whack...Frustrated I played with picture adjustments but everything still seemed off. Finally I just shut everything off and went to bed.
Today we fire up the TV and everything seems to be ok and even play some Lego Avengers again.

Everything ok until a few hours later when we are watching Gold Rush again.I notice the colors seem over saturated, but I think that's done in the post production part of it as everything has a gold tint to it. Well about an hour and half into it I begin to notice that dark spots on the scenes are starting to wash out in a greyish tone again....This is the black areas of the background or the dark areas from a shadow.

Everything is ran from it's respective output (Cable DVR, PS3, WiiU) into a Yamaha RX-V473 then into the TV. Thinking it was possibly the receiver, I pulled the HDMI and hooked it directly into the TV. Still had the same washed out blacks.

Its as though the TV warms up after a few hours of use and the blacks go to crap....Anyone else experience this or heard of this phenomenon? Any suggestions? Would this be something fixable or anything Panasonic would entertain as a warranty issue?

PS
Here are some pics....The TV is coming up on being a year old.....Help! 20131103_200338.jpg 3492k .jpg file 20131103_200448.jpg 3934k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131103_200338.jpg (3.41 MB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 20131103_200448.jpg (3.84 MB, 25 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-04-2013, 04:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just did a restore to defaults in my custom setting because my blacks were getting really really dark.I play with the custom settings a lot so it may have been my settings or it may have been the signal coming from Bell Satellite HD.Whatever was causing my issue was resolved by restoring to default in the custom setting.Looks excellent now,just sayin'.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-04-2013, 04:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 196
t5

On my 65VT50, I find that from a cold start, the picture appears a little lighter and after about an hour is correct based on how I have it calibrated. This is the opposite of what you're experiencing which is puzzling.

So that you can confirm what you are experiencing, you need to use a pluge pattern which you can download free from AVS. Here's a good one. http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration

The point here is that you need to use the pluge pattern when it looks right to your eye and also after it's doing it's light black routine so that you can be sure that it's not changing just because of a combination of AGC(automatic gain control) and APL (average picture level which is just how bright the picture is).

You need to move fast on this as you sure don't want to let the warranty run out if it turns out to be hardware related.

Out of curiousity, is your panel wall mounted or on a stand? Room kept cool?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-04-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks, I'll download the pattern and give it a try... It's on a stand in a large air conditioned room so air circulation shouldn't be an issue... I'm just wondering if it's just a content issue because a short time after I wrote this I watched Walking Dead which had all kinds of dark scenes and it seemed fine... I'll reset the defaults and see if that helps.
Thanks
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv , Yamaha Rx V473 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page