My dilemma: Panasonic ZT vs. Samsung F8500 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 68 Old 02-19-2014, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thanks. I'd love to have a F8500 or a ZT in my theater room. I had to settle for a ST60. smile.gif

I liked what I saw in the Samsung but couldn't justify the price. Not that it wasn't worth it 'as is'....I just wonder if anything is built to last anymore. My ST has some uniformity issues but they aren't too bad and I chalk it up to the race to the bottom that all TVs manufacturers seem to be running in. Since I expect everything to fail or have issues I don't like to pay a premium anymore. Or to put it more fairly I tend to pick the lower price....I don't mean to suggest that the F8500 isn't worth the price.

My TV's in the last 15+ years.

A 1997 ish 35 inch XBR CRT (the year before they became flat screened CRTs in the gray cabinet). For all I know it's still going strong but it weighed 215 lbs so I left it in place after a nasty breakup in 2007. smile.gif

A 55 inch Sony three chip LCD RP set. Bought it after getting a DLP home with rainbows all over the place. Traded up to a SXRD after about a year because I didn't like the the bad screen door effect.

The SXRD (A2000?) was incredible. But it developed optical block issues (purple blacks) and Sony replaced it with a A3000. It also developed issues and I gave it away after Sony replaced it with a NX720 that I had to pay cost for. It's still going strong in the living room but my ST60 blows it away picture quality wise.

So after all of the above I'm almost always going to take the cheaper model if the two I'm choosing from are anywhere close in quality. These things are just too disposable to proceed otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 02-20-2014, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 82

I am so happy I have been auto-subscribed to this thread.  Getting a chuckle out of the stuff that quickly gets deleted.  :D

Quote:

I liked what I saw in the Samsung but couldn't justify the price. Not that it wasn't worth it 'as is'....I just wonder if anything is built to last anymore. My ST has some uniformity issues but they aren't too bad and I chalk it up to the race to the bottom that all TVs manufacturers seem to be running in. Since I expect everything to fail or have issues I don't like to pay a premium anymore. Or to put it more fairly I tend to pick the lower price....I don't mean to suggest that the F8500 isn't worth the price.

You know, I'll be totally honest here...

As happy I am with this display, I have a underlying mistrust about Samsung.

My first choice was Panasonic, solely based on their reputation.  I never had Samsung at the top of my list of eligible displays.

I just think that Samsung tends to put out products that are rushed and bug-ridden.

My android phones (various Samsung models) could be one example of that.   The F8500 has its shares of bugs that I don't know if Samsung will totally fix or not.

Perhaps the ZT60 has its own problems, but I haven't been in that thread since the day I swapped it out.

I settled on the Samsung F8500 because I had already put myself in the mindset that I wanted a new display.  I'm happy, but as has been quoted above, there is some wonder as to how long the display is built to last.

post #63 of 68 Old 02-20-2014, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

You know, I'll be totally honest here...

As happy I am with this display, I have a underlying mistrust about Samsung.

My first choice was Panasonic, solely based on their reputation.  I never had Samsung at the top of my list of eligible displays.

I just think that Samsung tends to put out products that are rushed and bug-ridden.

My android phones (various Samsung models) could be one example of that.   The F8500 has its shares of bugs that I don't know if Samsung will totally fix or not.

I settled on the Samsung F8500 because I had already put myself in the mindset that I wanted a new display.  I'm happy, but as has been quoted above, there is some wonder as to how long the display is built to last.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S® III (Verizon), Pebble Blue smartphone that I'm happy with.
post #64 of 68 Old 02-20-2014, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 82

I owned the S III, the Note 2 and now the Note 3.  All within a 2-3 year span.

Was an avid Apple iPhone owner for 5 years before that.

I prefer Apple's build quality.  The iPhone is not buggy.   However, I prefer Android's open operating system.  Just find the Samsung phones act flakey now and then.

post #65 of 68 Old 03-09-2014, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67

As stated by David Mackenzie one of the Top Calibrators in the business @ The 2013 Value Electronics Shootout.

ANSI is not an accurate way to measure Contrast on Plasma's, because ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiter) Circuitry

kicks-in thus limiting Actual Light Output.

For example the Samsung F8500's light output goes from: ( Calibrated for Movie 40ft/L to 23ft/L ) When using the ANSI pattern.

Thus ANSI is not the best way to get a Real World Measurement of a Plasma sets true Contrast Ratio.

So my chart above which uses FULL ON/OFF CONTRAST is a useful chart, that shows what a sets Contrast Ratio is

fully capable of producing.

Sources: hdtvtest, soundandvision & 2013 Value Electronics Shootout

post #66 of 68 Old 03-09-2014, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Culling the info from multiple sources introduces room for error since the measurements were taken in different settings and with different equipment. But since that is the tact you're taking....Chad B, another top notch "calibrator in the business," has achieved 53 fTL on the ZT60 (and a few notches higher on the VT60). Before you demand a source, it doesn't require a website to make the claim. Chad participates here and shared his results in the ZT thread from an actual calibration.
post #67 of 68 Old 03-09-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Culling the info from multiple sources introduces room for error since the measurements were taken in different settings and with different equipment. But since that is the tact you're taking....Chad B, another top notch "calibrator in the business," has achieved 53 fTL on the ZT60 (and a few notches higher on the VT60). Before you demand a source, it doesn't require a website to make the claim. Chad participates here and shared his results in the ZT thread from an actual calibration.
Do you think this guy is going to believe anything someone says that would show an advantage to anything other then the Samsung F8500? We already know without this dumb chart that he posts all over AVS that the VT60 and ZT60 will offer better contrast ratio's even without pushing the brightness up to levels way beyond what his chart shows here.

No one cares about numbers using the absolute max brightness a panel can achieve with everything turned on. If that actually mattered towards anything we would all be looking at LEDs. lol
post #68 of 68 Old 03-09-2014, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Of course, I was just annoyed. Should've filed it under "forum noise" and moved on.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Pn51f8500 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page