My dilemma: Panasonic ZT vs. Samsung F8500 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 68 Old 11-06-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 79

For years I have been wanting a Panasonic plasma.  Almost bought one three years ago until by chance, I won an LG display at a trade show.  The LG display was a top-of-the-line THX certified 3D plasma and I have been rather pleased with it.

But with Panasonic announcing it was stopping production on its displays, I suddenly realized that this would be the last opportunity for me to own what many consider to be the absolute best plasma available, the ZT series.  

My goal was to buy the 65" ZT display this very morning....

...that is, until I actually saw one on display today.

I took a trip to visit my friend, Robert Zohn.  He owns Value Electronics located in the cozy town of Scarsdale, NY.

He has a Panasonic ZT 65" mounted on the wall next to the Samsung 64" F8500.  Both were showing the same identical demo content consisting of various daytime and nighttime sequences designed to show off different levels of HD.

It was very clear to the both of us that the Samsung had the better picture -- so much so, that the Panasonic ZT looked almost lifeless next to it.  The Samsung was pushing a brighter picture (both displays were maximized in luminance), and you could see far more detail and sharpness.  The Panasonic looked dull next to it.

Blacks?  I would say that the Panasonic probably had 2% better blacks than the Samsung, but it was only slightly more pronounced when the demo material went totally black, displaying nothing but the television logo.

I could not have been more frustrated by what I saw.  Robert Zohn told me that everyone that has seen both displays side-by-side show the same frustration.   He explained that the novices generally immediately select the Samsung over the Panasonic.  However, the purists will pick the Panasonic purely for the deepest levels of black that they can get....

...but for me, the black levels were negligible while the Samsung clearly had more picture pop to it.  

This is really killing me, because I have been programmed to believe that the Panasonic ZT series is the Kuro killer.  To pick anything else would be buying a vastly superior product.....yes?

...but to my eyes, that Samsung didn't look a little better --- it looked vastly better.  It even won the Value Electronics shootout over the Panasonic ZT, by the slimmest of margins, just because of the level of luminance and detail.

Want to get one of these displays in my home next week.  So, I have a day or two to make my decision.  I know I am about to get a wealth of conflicting opinions, but perhaps as I wade through them, I will get a clearer idea of which display I should choose.

Looking forward to any input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 11-06-2013, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would go with the display that gives you the most pleasing picture to your eyes. If that's the Samsung then buy it. Besides pricing/warranty, remember to take in consideration your home viewing environment in making that decision. Viewing distance, ambient light and such.
post #3 of 68 Old 11-06-2013, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 50
AVS Editor: Scott Wilkinson, ranks the F8500 second only to the ZT60.

Who knows, maybe Samsung will produce a PDP, superior to the ZT60 next year.
post #4 of 68 Old 11-06-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Number one priority should be fixing the floating blacks that is really the only flaw of the 8500.
agkss likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #5 of 68 Old 11-06-2013, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 567
try adjusting the f8500 to a more realistic brightness, if not equal brightness to the zt. it's just something with the way we perceive things, but brighter always looks better when doing side-by-side demos. you need to let you eyes adjust to the 'dimmer' image to see it's true potential, and you may find that the dimmer zt plus adjusted eyes gives a better image. you may not though too, but it's definitely worth looking at.

I also thought the f8500 looked much better in store, side-by-side. but once I got it home I had to really crank down the cell light for it not to hurt to watch. it really is bright! far too bright for dark room viewing. if the only think you like better about the f8500 is that it's brighter, you may find, like I did, that's it's something you simply can't take advantage of anyway. my biggest deciding factor was that the f8500 was so much cheaper than the zt, even about 300 cheaper than the vt here, and it was so close in terms of blacks, I figured even if I can't get a brighter image, at least i'm not giving up much while saving almost 1000bux.

try to base your decision on some other aspects as well:
-color reproduction
-pixel density(seems like there's less space between f8500 pixels)
-motion resolution(f8500 still gets kind blurry when the camera pans)
-can you hear the Samsung buzz? can you hear the panny's fan?
-smart features and menus, if you use those things
-3D performance, again, if you watch things in 3D
-input lag

in most cases the TV's really are very competive, and neither one does everything best, so ultimately you have to decide what the important things are(darker blacks, or retina scorching whites, for example) and make sure whatever you choose doesn't have some annoying issue you just can't ignore(buzz/fan noise, for example).
sooke and milagros like this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #6 of 68 Old 11-06-2013, 10:24 PM

Liked: 12

The F8500 is not sharper in fact its quite blurrier in moving scenes, even the ST60 is quite a bit sharper go and test it yourself with a computer game

post #7 of 68 Old 11-06-2013, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't do gaming, so unless that problem translates over to watching normal television or movies I am not concerned.

As of this morning, I am leaning towards the 65" ZT.  The reason I was going to buy a new plasma in the first place was because Panasonic was going to stop making them.

post #8 of 68 Old 11-06-2013, 11:55 PM

Sure, the reason I test with computer graphics is you know what to expect versus what is actually displayed

If Samsung could make a leap in motion clarity and floating black levels it would be a compelling set

agkss likes this.
post #9 of 68 Old 11-07-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well...I made my decision...

I just ordered the Panasonic 65" ZT.

It goes against everything my gut is telling me to do.  Even when I was

on the phone with Value Electronic's Robert Zohn, we discussed how 

much better that Samsung television looked.  However, in the end, Robert

gave the nudge to the ZT, since I would be watching it in a totally darkened

environment.

The display will be here Monday or Tuesday.  Need to break it in for 300

hours and then eventually get it calibrated.

post #10 of 68 Old 11-07-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Ron,

You'll be very happy.

By the way, you might want to change your font color - hard to read.

Enjoy your ZT.

post #11 of 68 Old 11-07-2013, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Number one priority should be fixing the floating blacks that is really the only flaw of the 8500.

Agreed. They had gotten feedback on this from the Shootout and will be interesting if they can incorporate that fix for 2014.

post #12 of 68 Old 11-07-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post

For years I have been wanting a Panasonic plasma.  Almost bought one three years ago until by chance, I won an LG display at a trade show.  The LG display was a top-of-the-line THX certified 3D plasma and I have been rather pleased with it.

But with Panasonic announcing it was stopping production on its displays, I suddenly realized that this would be the last opportunity for me to own what many consider to be the absolute best plasma available, the ZT series.  

My goal was to buy the 65" ZT display this very morning....

...that is, until I actually saw one on display today.

I took a trip to visit my friend, Robert Zohn.  He owns Value Electronics located in the cozy town of Scarsdale, NY.

He has a Panasonic ZT 65" mounted on the wall next to the Samsung 64" F8500.  Both were showing the same identical demo content consisting of various daytime and nighttime sequences designed to show off different levels of HD.

It was very clear to the both of us that the Samsung had the better picture -- so much so, that the Panasonic ZT looked almost lifeless next to it.  The Samsung was pushing a brighter picture (both displays were maximized in luminance), and you could see far more detail and sharpness.  The Panasonic looked dull next to it.

Blacks?  I would say that the Panasonic probably had 2% better blacks than the Samsung, but it was only slightly more pronounced when the demo material went totally black, displaying nothing but the television logo.

I could not have been more frustrated by what I saw.  Robert Zohn told me that everyone that has seen both displays side-by-side show the same frustration.   He explained that the novices generally immediately select the Samsung over the Panasonic.  However, the purists will pick the Panasonic purely for the deepest levels of black that they can get....

...but for me, the black levels were negligible while the Samsung clearly had more picture pop to it.  

This is really killing me, because I have been programmed to believe that the Panasonic ZT series is the Kuro killer.  To pick anything else would be buying a vastly superior product.....yes?

...but to my eyes, that Samsung didn't look a little better --- it looked vastly better.  It even won the Value Electronics shootout over the Panasonic ZT, by the slimmest of margins, just because of the level of luminance and detail.

Want to get one of these displays in my home next week.  So, I have a day or two to make my decision.  I know I am about to get a wealth of conflicting opinions, but perhaps as I wade through them, I will get a clearer idea of which display I should choose.

Looking forward to any input.

I had both in my house for a week (well actually it was VT60 which is essentially the same as the ZT60) and the VT60 is better in a dark room. A bit more accurate color and better blacks. However, brighter room, then F8500 is preferable.

post #13 of 68 Old 11-07-2013, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

On this end, my font color is standard black.  Sorry if it is not registering that way.

Can someone tell me where I can download the break-in slides to put on a DVD?

I know it's around this forum area somewhere, but I need to get it on a DVD in time

for my delivery next week.

post #14 of 68 Old 11-07-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

On this end, my font color is standard black.  Sorry if it is not registering that way.

Can someone tell me where I can download the break-in slides to put on a DVD?

I know it's around this forum area somewhere, but I need to get it on a DVD in time
for my delivery next week.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466472/2013-panasonic-settings-issues-thread#post_23157975

post #15 of 68 Old 11-07-2013, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Well...I made my decision...

It goes against everything my gut is telling me to do.  Even when I was
on the phone with Value Electronic's Robert Zohn, we discussed how 
much better that Samsung television looked.  However, in the end, Robert
gave the nudge to the ZT, since I would be watching it in a totally darkened
environment.

The display will be here Monday or Tuesday.  Need to break it in for 300
hours and then eventually get it calibrated.

Don't doubt yourself, I pretty much share your same issue. I have wanted a Panasonic for years and I was planning on getting a ZT around Feb/March 2014. The Panasonic announcement threw my plans off and made me stop and think if I want to pay the extra for a ZT over a F8500. Both are fantastic plasmas.

When the ZT60 finally came out I watched a few movies using a BD player w/ dual HDMI out. The ZT60 was clearly superior to the F8500 for color and at times motion. The F8500 is certainly brigther, but I wanted the best, most detailed picture possible. Nothing I noticed while comparing the two made me ever think I was wrong to want a Panasonic all this time. I have yet to make my purchase, but I hope you enjoy yours!

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
post #16 of 68 Old 11-07-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

David,

Thank you for the link to the break-in slides.  Just downloaded the .ISO file.

Skidawgz,

Can't begin to tell you how much I appreciate your post above.  I sit here now,

even after making the decision to go with the ZT65, doubting whether I did the

right thing or not.  Your post is most reassuring.

post #17 of 68 Old 11-07-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by milagros View Post

The F8500 is not sharper in fact its quite blurrier in moving scenes, even the ST60 is quite a bit sharper go and test it yourself with a computer game

yes, moving content still seems to drop in resolution, but the f8500 does look(appear?) sharper the rest of the time. for better or worse, I think it has a bit of an LCD quality to it. digital content looks very precise, until it moves quickly that is.
milagros likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #18 of 68 Old 11-07-2013, 01:19 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:

It goes against everything my gut is telling me to do. 

Well then it seems you made the wrong decision. You can't let internet forums influence you to make decisions you don't agree with.

/I've never seen either one

//I have an F5500, couldn't love it more

post #19 of 68 Old 11-07-2013, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

/I've never seen either one

//I have an F5500, couldn't love it more

So based on you not seeing either one you can actually claim I made the wrong decision?

Okay...moving on....

tlwiz1 and milagros like this.
post #20 of 68 Old 11-07-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

yes, moving content still seems to drop in resolution, but the f8500 does look(appear?) sharper the rest of the time. for better or worse, I think it has a bit of an LCD quality to it. digital content looks very precise, until it moves quickly that is.

Right, I think the official term is "motion resolution"

None ever took the idea seriously even though the picture is for the most part, always in motion ;)

post #21 of 68 Old 11-08-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 369
Quote:

So based on you not seeing either one you can actually claim I made the wrong decision?

Okay...moving on....

Very intelligent/well said which would lead me to have no doubt that you made the right decision. As an owner of VT who came from a Kuro you will be very happy with your ZT. I just didn't need the filter for where my display is placed or I would have been a ZT owner. As much as I liked the ZT, at the time of my purchase there was a $800 difference between the two and some of that savings went towards a pro calibration. I spent over a month doing my research between the two Panny's and the 8500 including a 2 hour drive to Atlanta to spend time with all 3. If someone wants the sharper image that the 8500 offers at times you can always get a Darbee or Oppo 103D and have even more control over how the image is presented for viewing. Fans are an annoying imperfection, but there are plenty of those without noise and you have the fan fix. Personally I am going the get use to it route for now, similar to living with the buzzing of my Kuro. After a few minutes I find myself enjoying a great picture and the sound from my HT system. Look forward to reading your impressions when you spend some time with your new display.
post #22 of 68 Old 11-08-2013, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thank you, Smurray.

The reason I went against my gut decision (and I think I initially explained this)....

I watched the two displays side-by-side in a fairly well lit store.

I have a group of friends and business partners who know these displays inside out.

They warned me not to make an impression based on a plasma that was brighter in a well-lit environment.

I will be watching my ZT65 in a totally darkened environment.  

Yeah, my gut told me the Samsung f8500 looked better.  But I wasn't watching it in the ideal environment that would match mine.

...and besides, just about every (if not every) single review done by a professional has given the ZT display an edge over every other.

post #23 of 68 Old 11-08-2013, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Thank you, Smurray.

The reason I went against my gut decision (and I think I initially explained this)....

I have a group of friends and business partners who know these displays inside out.

They warned me not to make an impression based on a plasma that was brighter in a well-lit environment.

Yeah, my gut told me the Samsung f8500 looked better.  But I wasn't watching it in the ideal environment that would match mine.

...and besides, just about every (if not every) single review done by a professional has given the ZT display an edge over every other.

People vastly overestimate how much brightness you actually need, have a look at my Panasonic PF30 monitor blasting at zero contrast tongue.gif
(I turn it up later in the video)

(Stream LQ)
(Download HQ)
post #24 of 68 Old 11-08-2013, 07:53 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:

Thank you, Smurray.

Your eyes and your gut told you the Samsung was better, yet you bought the Panasonic.

If I went on those metrics you outlined, I wouldn't have gotten the TV I did. Mine has the dreaded pentile array. And while I understand the online criticisms, my eyes can't pick up any issues whatsoever and I simply love the TV I got.

Anyways, it doesn't affect me one bit what you buy. It's just a public forum and I saw your post and decided to chime in. If you're happy with your purchase, then power to you. I just thought someone should speak up about how it appears you let others influence you against what you wanted. Sort of a "listen dude, go with what you want, don't let people change your mind"

eric3316 likes this.
post #25 of 68 Old 11-08-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

EchoOne,

Let me reconstruct this post as I replied in a hurry via a mobile phone.

You know what I found out?

One of the big reasons plasma has failed is because people go into bright stores and see how much better LCD performs under those well-lit conditions.

Well, that is exactly what I was doing.

The Samsung f8500 has been highly rated for its luminance output. But I was judging it next to the ZT in a store that was not dark. So, of course, the ZT looked washed out.

When I got home, and talked about it with friends and business partners who have more knowledge and experience with plasma displays, I was warned not to make a choice based on a brighter picture in a lit store.

I won't need all that brightness in a darkened theater room. If I had bought that Samsung, I would have toned down the brightness level considerably.

I have sat and read about a dozen reviews online from professional calibrators, reviewers and tech gurus. Just about every single review (if not all) places the Panasonic ZT at the top of the list as best plasma you can currently buy.

So, when all is said and done, I came to the conclusion that if I was not judging both displays in a completely darkened room (as I will have mine in), then I was not making a proper judgement at all.

People who are swaying my opinions are doing so for my benefit. They know these displays better than I. I am not an expert on plasma. Just about every consumer who goes into a store to judge displays makes mistakes because they don't have knowledge behind them. Sometimes, if you don't know what you are doing, your eyes can easily be deceived and you make the wrong choice.

By the way...while I am here...

I need to thank Robert Zohn of Value Electronics in Scarsdale NY. He spent quite a bit of time with me as I examined both displays. I ended up buying my ZT from him.
vinnie97, agkss and ChadThunder like this.
post #26 of 68 Old 11-08-2013, 09:12 AM

So just how bad, and/or prevalent, is the fan noise for the TC-P65ZT60?
post #27 of 68 Old 11-08-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
So just how bad, and/or prevalent, is the fan noise for the TC-P65ZT60?

I also look forward to the answer to this question.

There is currently an entire thread devoted to it.

I receive my Panasonic ZT on Monday or Tuesday so I will report back.

However, I am guessing I am getting a newer build.  However, that might not make any

difference whatsoever as I don't think Panasonic has actually fixed the problem at the

factory.

post #28 of 68 Old 11-08-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:

There is currently an entire thread devoted to it.

I know, I'm just wondering if this issue has been resolved somewhere along the production run. I am tempted to buy this display before it is no longer available, but I would not be happy watching a PDP that creates an audible level of fan noise.
post #29 of 68 Old 11-08-2013, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And the solution and problem is that Panasonic will come to your home to repair it but

the repair is not always successful.

Will report back here next week.

post #30 of 68 Old 11-08-2013, 12:34 PM

Liked: 11
For what it's worth, my 65ZT60 fan noise is not noticeable in my setup. If I stand right in front of it I can hear the fans, but they are quiet enough that I don't hear them from my normal seating position. I've heard them described as loud as a slim PS3, but mine don't sound that loud.

I think a lot will depend on the surface behind your TV and how it reflects the sound. If I hadn't read about the fans on the forum I never would have noticed them.

My TV just arrived from Amazon - I believe it's a fairly early build (May or something).
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65zt60 65 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Pn51f8500 51 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page