Which Should I Buy??? Panasonic TC-P65ST60 vs. Panasonic TC-P65VT60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 11-10-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

It's time to upgrade my rear projection TV for my man cave. 

I went into my local Best Buy and they sales associate showed me the Panasonic TC-P65VT60 which retails for $2,699.99. He told me it was the best Plasma on the market and upgrading to the newer ZT model wasn't worth the extra money. 

I started searching the web and although I did not check it out a lot of people have been recommending the Panasonic TC-P65ST60 which retails for $2,199.99.

Mostly I watch sports with an occasional movie thrown in. I like a high quality picture but I'm not sure my eyes would notice how dark the blacks are in the VT vs. the ST. Sound quality is no difference to me since I'll just use a soundbar. 

The question at the end of the day is how much better is the VT vs. the ST with regards to picture quality? Is it worth the extra $500 or would it be best to put that additional money to a better soundbar? 

Any feedback would be much appreciated. 

I am trying to upgrade this upcoming weekend. 

Thanks.

EZCUSE

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-10-2013, 08:50 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 428
FWIW your questions have been asked and answered dozens of times in the ST60 and VT60 threads. There's enough existing discussion about it to help you make your own informed decision.

Personally, for my usage the VT60 doesn't offer anything useful other than a nicer design so for me the ST60 was a no brainer. You have to decide if the features of the VT60 are useful enough to you to be worth paying extra for.

If your primary viewing content was movies and/or Blu-Ray, i'd say get the VT60 as it seems to be more targeted at that type of usage what with it's extra calibration controls and settings that are more important to movie watchers (who are the ones who tend to get their displays ISF calibrated), but they're pretty much useless for sports viewing.

But since you watch more sports, the ST60 is more than good enough, and is probably even better since it's a little brighter.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 10:00 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZCUSE View Post

It's time to upgrade my rear projection TV for my man cave. 

I went into my local Best Buy and they sales associate showed me the Panasonic TC-P65VT60 which retails for $2,699.99. He told me it was the best Plasma on the market and upgrading to the newer ZT model wasn't worth the extra money. 

I started searching the web and although I did not check it out a lot of people have been recommending the Panasonic TC-P65ST60 which retails for $2,199.99.

Mostly I watch sports with an occasional movie thrown in. I like a high quality picture but I'm not sure my eyes would notice how dark the blacks are in the VT vs. the ST. Sound quality is no difference to me since I'll just use a soundbar. 

The question at the end of the day is how much better is the VT vs. the ST with regards to picture quality? Is it worth the extra $500 or would it be best to put that additional money to a better soundbar? 

Any feedback would be much appreciated. 

I am trying to upgrade this upcoming weekend. 

Thanks.

EZCUSE

You are looking at the exact same scenario that I am and I think we will both be blown away by the P65ST60. I'm also very close to upgrading from and 8 yr old Samsung rear projection tv. Still a great picture but not even close to how these new Panasonic Plasma's look. I've been researching and reading up on the P65ST60 for months and I'm just waiting for it to drop again below $2199. Everyone saying buy it now because any day they are all going to be gone but I'm riding out it at least to Thanksgiving weekend. If I miss out so be it.

I was originally really jacked up about P60ST60 which goes for $1499.00. It's the same exact tv as the P65 but 5 inches smaller and $700 cheaper. But I have a large room and want the 65 inch model. I don't care about $700 bucks. I mainly watch movies, concert dvd's and sports. No gaming at all and never will.

To jump up to the P65VT60 is just throwing more money out the window at this point. I don't know if my eye is capable of noticing the difference between the ST and VT so I'm not interested in it or spending a even more money.

I'm just keeping my eye on the price of the P65ST60 on Amazon, Best Buy, Sears, Panasonic and a few other online retailers to see who drops the lowest. And then keep and eye after you purchase because if it drops again you can call and have them credit you the difference. Good luck.
post #4 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 147
I had a similar choice recently and opted for the VT60 because of the lower lag for gaming and the better picture quality.

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings

Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

post #5 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild99 View Post

I had a similar choice recently and opted for the VT60 because of the lower lag for gaming and the better picture quality.

I'm not a gamer at all but I am all about the best picture possible. Or best picture I can afford I should say. Jumping up to the P65ST60 is stretching the budget for me so I'm not sure if the VT is in my sights or not. It would have to come way down for me to consider it. What did you pay? Are you loving it?
post #6 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 11:52 AM

The picture of the VT is slightly better, no doubt, but i think the general opinion is its not worth extra cost unless you must have the best of the best. I have the 65 ST60 and i can tell you the blacks are not 100 % black in complete darkness and i doubt VT would achieve it and if you get the VT every time you find a flaw people will tell you ZT would have been better in this regard or that. I came to the conclusion that there is no perfect TV today. So the reason i opted for the ST is that it is brighter and cheaper and performs nearly as good as them. So why not put the money somewhere else and wait for OLED wink.gif
post #7 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason22 View Post

The picture of the VT is slightly better, no doubt, but i think the general opinion is its not worth extra cost unless you must have the best of the best. I have the 65 ST60 and i can tell you the blacks are not 100 % black in complete darkness and i doubt VT would achieve it and if you get the VT every time you find a flaw people will tell you ZT would have been better in this regard or that. I came to the conclusion that there is no perfect TV today. So the reason i opted for the ST is that it is brighter and cheaper and performs nearly as good as them. So why not put the money somewhere else and wait for OLED wink.gif

Couldn't agree more. The P65ST60 is going to be my purchase without a doubt. I'm upgrading from a 2007 Samsung DLP so I know I'll be happy with ST. It won't be long and people will be able to find something wrong the OLED's also. I'm not interested in splitting hairs over the smallest little differences. After awhile it starts to get ridiculous. Can't wait to get the ST60 and watch my first movie..
post #8 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 147
Well I don't have an ST60 to compare to, but compared to my S60 it's alot better. The 96hz 24p mode is excellent and flicker free and provides a great experience for watching blu-rays. The extra calibration controls such as 10-pt grayscale, 10-pt gamma, and full CMS are another upgrade over the S60. These features are in the ST60 so that will make your decision easier. Again, my decision was easier as I wanted the extra calibration features + the 24p mode + lower latency which ruled out the ST60, and the ZT60 was too big for the room where it's going to be placed and it's of course more expensive.

Sony 32" EX400 calibrated settings

Panasonic 50" S60 calibrated settings

HTPC/Sony S5100 to Sony HT-CT150 to Panasonic 55" VT60, Sony 32" EX400, Panasonic 50" S60

post #9 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankchef0 View Post

Couldn't agree more. The P65ST60 is going to be my purchase without a doubt. I'm upgrading from a 2007 Samsung DLP so I know I'll be happy with ST. It won't be long and people will be able to find something wrong the OLED's also. I'm not interested in splitting hairs over the smallest little differences. After awhile it starts to get ridiculous. Can't wait to get the ST60 and watch my first movie..
Im sure you will love it and save money !
post #10 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 02:54 PM

Liked: 21
I seen the s, st, vt and zt at a dealer all next to each other and I didn't really notice any difference between them, I think I'm going for a 55ST60 as I was told they can't get anymore in 60 and 65 both sold out.
post #11 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryder125 View Post

I seen the s, st, vt and zt at a dealer all next to each other and I didn't really notice any difference between them, I think I'm going for a 55ST60 as I was told they can't get anymore in 60 and 65 both sold out.

When you say they can't get anymore who exactly is that? A local retailer or one of the big online companies.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 03:05 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Did the 1-sheet of glass design have any effect on the image comparing the 4 models side by side? Or is it just cosmetic?
post #13 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankchef0 View Post

When you say they can't get anymore who exactly is that? A local retailer or one of the big online companies.

Small store. O big box stores near me selling them, went to Sears but none in stock and deliver late Dec... Not risking it in case they can't come good. I can still get the 60 online.
post #14 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vic_0002 View Post

Did the 1-sheet of glass design have any effect on the image comparing the 4 models side by side? Or is it just cosmetic?

Honestly, I couldn't tell any difference in the picture between all them, they all look pretty much the same. If I had to pick them out as what model was what based just on picture, I couldn't tell them apart. I'm still a bit on edge about the lag on the ST but I don't really play much video games so its likely a small thing for me. The sale rep told me on his ST60 he doesn't notice any lag when playing video game or has he had anyone come back and complain about that or 3D. Wished I could of demoed the 3D but wasn't setup for that.

Edit: one thing I did notice was a bit of a reflection on the S model
post #15 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

It would be so nice to get an unbiased point of view since when you go into any retail store they are going to try selling you the most expensive TV.

post #16 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 04:20 PM

Honestly, if your room is bright light reflecting on the screen than go with the ST, if its controlled lighting and you don't want 3D go with the S. I want 3D even if I don't use it much but I want a tv to handle a bit of light so that's why I'm likely going with the ST. I didn't see anything to justify the extra cost to move up from the ST series, it seems more like bragging rights to owning the best of the best, picture between all of them are very close so close it was really hard to tell them apart. It seems more like features set the displays apart more so than performance.
post #17 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Honestly, if your room is bright light reflecting on the screen than go with the ST, if its controlled lighting and you don't want 3D go with the S. I want 3D even if I don't use it much but I want a tv to handle a bit of light so that's why I'm likely going with the ST. I didn't see anything to justify the extra cost to move up from the ST series, it seems more like bragging rights to owning the best of the best, picture between all of them are very close so close it was really hard to tell them apart. It seems more like features set the displays apart more so than performance.

Doesn't the VT have a better IR filter than the ST? And lower lag times? I'd say that could be worth it to people...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
post #18 of 19 Old 11-11-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

Doesn't the VT have a better IR filter than the ST? And lower lag times? I'd say that could be worth it to people...

Yeah it does, but I'm just saying in terms of picture quality, I couldn't really tell them apart. I would say better IR is a feature and from my understanding the lag time on the ST has been way over blown.
post #19 of 19 Old 11-12-2013, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg17 View Post

You mean AR filter I am assuming

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P65st60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P65vt60 65 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page