50" Plasma (ST60) or 55" LED? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-12-2013, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The TV will go in a 49.5" space between two walls. Hence the only TVs that would fit would be a thin border 55" LED or a 50" plasma. We would be sitting about 10' from the TV with a large 4'x6' window right behind us (the room is very sunny). The TV has to be 3D as my kids and I really want this feature.

We currently have a 42" Haier 1080p TV I purchased on Black Friday two years ago for $300. When watching movies on that screen at night, I am annoyed by large color bands on the screen (especially with pictures of the sky and in pictures of faces). Which of the following two TVs would you recommend:

LG 55LA7400 (3D 55" for $900 at microcenter)
Panasonic TC-P50ST60 - VIERA 50 Class ST60 (3D for $980 at BestBuy).

Items of importance to me are:
1) Large picture
2) Good picture quality
3) 3D.

I don't need any smart apps running as I have a Windows 8 PC hooked up to the TV. The main uses of the TV are night time movie watching by me and daytime cartoon watching by the kids. With the current TV, the window reflections are annoying, even after we close the blinds.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-12-2013, 07:51 PM

Liked: 11
Panasonic pro - picture quality, even backlighting, no color banding, amazing contrast. Con - reflection (but good antiglare filters), smaller size, image retention potential.

LG Pro- larger size, matte screen / less glare, no chance of image retention. Cons- lesser picture quality, backlighting technology inferior to plasma.

I had originally bought a Panasonic LED tv and could not handle the backlighting / light leaks with letter boxing due to the actual backlight technology. The plasma is perfectly even without any light leak (impossible since each plasma pixel generates it's own light). The biggest deal breaker for you may be the reflection / glare on the plasma. Hope this information helps.

Nick

Justified By Faith
post #3 of 14 Old 11-13-2013, 01:04 PM

Liked: 18
To the OP:

As far as your three most important items:

The only one the LG wins is in the size.

No edgelit LED/LCD anywhere near that price range is going to come close to the picture quality or screen uniformity of the ST60. I currently have an LG 240HZ 3D TV that was top of the line a couple of years ago, as well as two Panny plasmas (ST60 and VT25) a Panny LCD and a Sony Bravia LCD that I use as a computer monitor. The LG is a distant third in picure quality (WITH full screen material) Anything letterboxed or a dark backgound with bright object(s) and you see the weakness of edgelit (local dimming or not), especially during evening/night viewing.

In any event, I hope you have some aluminum mini blinds or some other way of blocking most of the light from that huge window as it sounds like any type of TV would have problems with such a huge light source.

Whichever one you go with, make sure in advance you can return/exchange if you are not happy.

BTW: It's too bad that LG discontinued their LHX55 set some time back as that was one with full array local dimming that could easily compete with the best plasmas available now as far as black levels . I bought two of them from the "Egg" and had to return both because of poor color uniformity and DSE (dirty screen effect). Newegg just loved me that Christmas as I made them give me free return shipping on both sets and then bought the VT25 from Amazon.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-13-2013, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks or the feedback! Am I giving up a lot of screen real estate with the 50" plasma compared to the 55" LED LCD?

I do have faux wood blinds on that window and do have to use them during the day time. One of my concerns with Plasma is whether the reflections will be too much even after the blinds are put on.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-14-2013, 04:37 AM

Maybe include a picture of the room in question?

Is the window directly behind you and facing the TV?
post #6 of 14 Old 11-14-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

The layout of the room is shown below. The TV will be facing the sofa (and hence the window). This window has wood blinds, but there is still light coming through between the blinds. I currently have a 42" non-3D LCD TV here. I want to put the largest 3D TV that I can fit in the 49.5" space between the walls for the TV stand. I already have my home theater system set up in the room (speaker locations shown). Thanks!

post #7 of 14 Old 11-14-2013, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
If you find your current flatscreen annoying with that window, a panasonic plasma is going to be terrible for you unless you get a black out shade solution.

It should be fine after the day time though.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-14-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

That is what scares me about plasma TVs. I can easily see the color banding in LCD/LED TVs, so a plasma will probably be much more satisfying from the color rendition perspective. However, the room layout seems to rule out plasma for daytime use unless I cover up the window better.

At this point my main question is: am I giving up a lot of screen real estate with the 50" plasma compared to the 55" LED LCD? I will go to the stores this weekend to look into this.

Thanks!
post #9 of 14 Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 AM

Liked: 20
I love Panasonic plasmas but the only models that fit your size requirements are the S60 and ST60. My ST60 was in a fairly bright room but even with shades drawn it would wash out at certain times of the day. In my opinion, if you want to go plasma, I would look at the Samsung PN51F8500. It has a 50.72" diagonal and a width of 46.9". The good thing about the 8500 series is that it will hold its own in bright room conditions much better than the S60/ST60 the black levels are still pretty good. Supposedly the Samsung 3D is also very good. Admittedly, I don't too much about this display (I own a ST60 and a ZT60) but it immediately came to mind given your requirements.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-14-2013, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaves View Post

That is what scares me about plasma TVs. I can easily see the color banding in LCD/LED TVs, so a plasma will probably be much more satisfying from the color rendition perspective. However, the room layout seems to rule out plasma for daytime use unless I cover up the window better.

At this point my main question is: am I giving up a lot of screen real estate with the 50" plasma compared to the 55" LED LCD? I will go to the stores this weekend to look into this.

Thanks!

a 55" diagonal translates 20% more viewing area than a 50" diagonal, I can't really speak for how much difference that will make to you
post #11 of 14 Old 11-14-2013, 08:53 AM

Liked: 20
Here is a comparison of the LG 55LA7400 (54.6" diagonal) vs. the Panasonic ST60 (49.9" diagonal). The LG will be 19.7% larger than the Panasonic. The reverse of that equation is that the Panasonic is 16.5% smaller than the LG.

post #12 of 14 Old 11-14-2013, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like I will have to go with the LG LED. I don't like the color rendition of the LCDs, but price, brightness, and reflectance drive me to it.
post #13 of 14 Old 11-15-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 498
You can do a lot better than LG for an LED imo Check out the Vizio M series LED

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #14 of 14 Old 11-15-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

You can do a lot better than LG for an LED imo Check out the Vizio M series LED

+1 on that.

It's a shame he has to give up on a TV that has a superior picture because of lighting issues. I would be looking at something like vertical blinds that could shut out more light. The ST60 is PLENTY bright enough in a normal living room.

Once again I would say make sure you can return whatever you buy if you are not happy with it.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 55la7400 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Smarttv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60st50 Plasma Tv , Plasma Vs Led
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page