Panasonic TV Vierra TX-P50VT65B and Asus RT-AC68U - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 11-13-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hi All,

I just wanted to let you all know about some challange I had with my Panasonic TV and this specific router. This is just to share and inform you that i have confirmed an issue with this router and the TV set.

Hardware equipment:
Panasonic TV Vierra TX-P50VT65B
BT Infinity 2 - Download 45Mbit / Upload 8Mbit
Hardwired into the the Router.

Problem description:

Problem I got is that Netflix and Skype application inside the smart TV does not work with the Router. I
have managed to troubleshoot the issue by reversing back to BT Inifinity Home Hub
and that all works great.

Now in the Panasonic TV there is Netflix App.
When i am connected to the Asus router i get a timeout. I spent over 3 hours with
Netflix to troubelshoot the issue with no result. I have also spent about 1 hour with
Panasonic to troubelshoot the issue and they don't know what is going on. Now this
is not related to TV or the Netflix app, this is due to the Router. I also have disabled the firewall and upgraded

both the router and TV to the latest firmware.

The error is as follows
1) start the Netflix app
2) Netflix just sits there and after a minute i get an error " we are having problem to
start netflix..."
3. I can choose More information where buy i can go to Check your network
4. The netflix app connects fine to all 4 Netflix server and has internet connection.

Troubelshooting:

# Turned the Firewall off

# Moved the TVs IP address to DMZ

# reset the TV to factory setting

# Upgraded the Router to newer version of the firmware (this firmware has been pulled back due to bugs)

# reset the router to factory settings

None of these have worked. It is Funny because the shoutcast and other apps work just Netflix and Skype does not work.

Just wanted to share this with you as you might see this kinda thing if you have the same setup as i do. The Asus support is poor and have not provided a solution yet.

Thank you

Essa Moshiri

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-15-2013, 11:05 PM

This sounds exactly like the problem I have with the ASUS RT-AC68U using netflix to stream over a Samsung Blu Ray player and a Kindle Fire.

I am pretty sure it is an issue with the router settings, as I have connected my old router and everything works again.  Netflix from our laptops works for both.

I called ASUS, and they suggested port triggering on the router.  That did not work, and you should not need that as my old router did not need it.

At this moment it is unresolved.  Trying ASUS again.

post #3 of 21 Old 11-16-2013, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Aymde,

I want to thank you for keeping me informed. I have just sent an update to the Asus Technical support with a video of the issue.

Here is my case number: CASEID=WTM20131107192011535

Maybe it is a good idea to make a double effort and thank you for confirming my findings. I do agree there must be a bug in the firmware. I am not sure if you are aware but Asus has pulled 2 firmware from their website for the Asus RT-AC68U.

Please let me know if i can be of any more assistance.

Thank you

Feejus

post #4 of 21 Old 11-21-2013, 05:35 PM

Still no good news here.  Have been back and forth with ASUS support, even trying out a different firmware version with no improvement.

My last conversation with them was not encouraging as the support rep. blamed Netflix, ignoring the fact that it works fine from all devices using my old router.

post #5 of 21 Old 11-21-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I see you tried port triggering but have you tried port forwarding? Triggering is a timed feature.
post #6 of 21 Old 11-21-2013, 07:48 PM

Since all devices works well streaming netflix when my old router is connected without any port forwarding or port triggering, why would I need it on the ASUS router?  Should be the same.

post #7 of 21 Old 11-21-2013, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to let you all know that i have had conversation with both Panasonic support and Asus.

I do agree. If the Netflix works with HomeHub or any other hub why do we need to add special rules. Panasonic has not provided if they user a specific protocol or port.

However Asus now finaly escalated my case to their second line support. I keep you all posted.

Thank you

Essa

aymde likes this.
post #8 of 21 Old 11-23-2013, 11:23 AM

I would really be interested to know what they find.

The guy that has been helping me at ASUS told me that I should do an RMA and get a replacement product, but I find that really odd.

Feejus likes this.
post #9 of 21 Old 11-23-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Aymde,

I assume you contacted the US support for Asus, and yest that is exactly what the guy told me. After I argued that there is nothing wrong with the HW and there is something wrong with the software he said i had to fill in form which he was going to send to me! Guess what, he never sent the email (checked my spam folder as well).

Does anyone know the name of the CEO or Country manager and contact details of Asus in the UK / US or Worldwide, It is tempting to write to them direclty and point out how poor their support is.

Update:

I am not sure but Asus is going to call me or maybe do a remote session on Monday morning UK time. I let you all know.

Thank you and enjoy your weekend.

post #10 of 21 Old 11-23-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Response to Whipit: Just to clarify, there is no point to port forwarding if the firewall is off unless something is wrong in the software so when you turn of the firewall it does not turn it off. Also need to be mentioned, if you search for  which ports Netflix use you will see that it uses port 80 and port 443. Now I guess the only way forward is to do a packet sniffing, and they need to compare that with their software, or if they provide a debug firmware which collect additional data that could be the way forward.

Thank you

Essa

post #11 of 21 Old 11-23-2013, 04:58 PM

The name of the CEO at ASUS is Jerry Shen.

I still haven't decided what to do with the RT-AC68U.  Seem like I have ran into a brick wall here.  I am pretty sure if I return it to get a replacement unit, I will get the same issue with the new unit.

post #12 of 21 Old 11-23-2013, 05:02 PM - Thread Starter

I am just looking if i can use a ARP poisoning to be able to sniff all the package my TV sends out but you are so right in your assumption. I wonder if the RT-66U is much better. I am sure that if i can reach out to the engineering they will find the fault within seconds.

I keep you posted on Monday and thank you for the name there. A written letter signed and address to Jerry Shen could make a diffrence sometimes.

post #13 of 21 Old 11-27-2013, 01:23 PM

Have you heard anything back from ASUS?

post #14 of 21 Old 11-27-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Aymde,

Yes i got feedback from them on Amazon where they asked me to download and test a new beta firmware. I am afraid it did not resolve my issue so I have sent a new update to them and i am waiting for further update.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00G323PG0/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Hi Guys,

We've just developed a beta firmware for the RT-AC68U, we've made this available at the below link:
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/s

/1893303FB82E4333888C3E3764987F40Y
Remember this is not finalised release firmware, but we do value your feedback on this.
Could you please share your opinions on this firmware with us at network_support_uk@asus.com

Regards,

S Lama
Field Application Engineer
ASUS

Thanx

Essa

post #15 of 21 Old 11-27-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Aymde,

Got a link which i tried to post here for a new firmware. For some reason i am not allowed to post external link and my post as been past to the moderator on this site.

post #16 of 21 Old 11-29-2013, 07:25 PM

I have given up on the ASUS router, as the store I bought if from have agreed that I can return it.  Plugging my old Linksys router back in for now and getting a modern Linksys router as replacement instead.

post #17 of 21 Old 12-06-2013, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, I figured this one out myself. Asus support are aware and will provide an update to their firmware. The Asus RT-68U has a Hardware accelerator. This will cause Netflix app to fail.

"The option of “HW accelerator” is related to Broadcom proprietary closed-source module CTF (Cut Through Forwarding), which can speed up NAT performance, but it might have some side effect. We can’t make a thorough inquiry because Broadcom will not release CTF source code.

However, we will report the influence to Broadcom as well as inform our development engineer to revise one firmware to catch more log Broadcom needed. I will contact you when the firmware is ready, and we will be grateful for any help you can provide. Thanks."

By disabling this many issues reported has been resolved, these include:

#Netflix fails to run on Blueray player, TV etc (It times out)

# Poor performance with Android phones over WIFI.

If you experience these issues, please disable the HW accelerator in the admin console and reboot the router and try it again.

Thank you.

post #18 of 21 Old 12-22-2013, 09:01 PM

Liked: 10

Did you change anything else?  I have turned off the hw accelerator and still no luck.

Thanks

post #19 of 21 Old 12-23-2013, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Hawser,

Can you please let me know what issue or challenge you might have? Is your issue with Netflix? Where are yo running Netflix from? Does it work from your desktop / laptop? Have you disabled the Firewall on the Router (this is just for the test purpose) to see if this resolves your issue? Can you please provide a screenshot of the issue you having?

Thanx

Essa

post #20 of 21 Old 12-23-2013, 03:31 PM

Liked: 10

Thanks for the quick reply Essa.  

I ended up having to change the TV Network Settings from a Static IP address to DHCP and everything now works fine.  Since changing the HW Accelerator I have now verified that Netflix works on my Panasonic TV, Samsung TV, Panasonic Blueray Player, Sony Blueray Player and Google Chromecast, none of which worked before the setting change.   Before the change, the only devices that worked with Netflix were my phones, computers and Apple TV, all of which still work after the HW Accelerator change.

Thanks for posting the fix, seems to have done the trick.  

Cheers

post #21 of 21 Old 12-23-2013, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Hawser,

I am running my TV on static IP and it seems to be working. I am happy that it seems to be working for you and that was the whole point to post this here.

Thank you

Essa

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt50 65 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page