Debating Whether To Upgrade from 42" Plasma TH-42PD50U to 60" Plasma TC-P60ST60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-14-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi All,

As we near black friday, I am looking into upgrading my primary plasma television to a larger TV before they really start disappearing. i feel as though in many cases the picture quality is of a higher quality than comparably priced LED/LCD screens. I also have found that burn in really isn't an issue like it sometimes is made out to be.

About either of those, if you feel I am wrong I welcome any information you have so that I can make the best decision possible.

Currently, I have a 42" Panasonic TH-42PD50U.
Specs, according to panasonic's site state:

I'm thinking about upgrading to the Panasonic TC-P60ST60 (while I'd prefer the 65" or larger I can't afford the additional cost). The room has about a 14 foot viewing distance from the TV, so a size upgrade would be very beneficial to get the best experience.

My concern though is that from a picture quality perspective I won't notice a large picture quality difference. I was wondering what people thoguht about this upgrade (whether it was worth it or not) or if anyone had other suggestions for screens they felt would better fit my goal. I will say that the TC-P60ST60 is on the upper end of my budget and I'd prefer to use it's current pricing as a maximum.

Thank you all for your time and please let me know if there is anything I haven't included which would help you all make recommendations.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-14-2013, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Plasma picture quality has made some dramatic strides forward since 2005. I owned a mid-2004 42" Hitachi plasma and currently own a mid-2007 42" Hitachi plasma that originally retailed for the eye-popping sum of $5,499. My parents own a 2011-vintage 54" Panasonic, and I can't convey how superior the picture is on that set compared to my set. Black levels are significantly lower and overall video processing (things like noise reduction and interpolation of lower-resolution sources) is superior. And the current Panasonic plasmas are even better.

Plus, your current TV is an EDTV set--the old term for ~480p resolution. In a 42" the difference in clarity isn't as significant as it is in larger sets, but I think you would still be a bit surprised at the difference in clarity you would see in a large 1080p plasma.
kkirsche likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 509
I agree with the post above, it would be a huge upgrade in PQ
kkirsche likes this.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #4 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 689 Post(s)
Liked: 864
1. yes, upgrade. it'll be a big improvement in picture quality and future proofing(if you like smart features, 3d, etc)
2. this may be the last chance you get to really 'upgrade' until oled is perfected. that could be 5yrs, that could be 10yrs, who knows. point is, you need to ask yourself if the extra couple hundred bux for the 65" will be something you wish you spent later on. i've been there before, where i've bought a cheaper model because that's all the money i had, and then 6months later i've got 300bux in my bank account, and i wish i could trade in what i bought for the better model. it's something worth thinking twice about anyway.
kkirsche likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #5 of 6 Old 11-15-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

1. yes, upgrade. it'll be a big improvement in picture quality and future proofing(if you like smart features, 3d, etc)
2. this may be the last chance you get to really 'upgrade' until oled is perfected. that could be 5yrs, that could be 10yrs, who knows. point is, you need to ask yourself if the extra couple hundred bux for the 65" will be something you wish you spent later on. i've been there before, where i've bought a cheaper model because that's all the money i had, and then 6months later i've got 300bux in my bank account, and i wish i could trade in what i bought for the better model. it's something worth thinking twice about anyway.

Thank you! I do thoroughly enjoy smart features, 3D, etc. and this is why I've started to look into replacing the TV. Combined with my viewing distance, I've found that what I have is no longer sufficient for what I really want.

I am glad you also raised a good point about the extra cost associated with bumping up to the 65" vs. the 60". Currently, amazon is at about a $750 difference between the two sizes and I'm not sure I can justify that much for 5" of screen. Then again, should the price black friday (or cyber monday) drop them both to a price more within my budget, I would definitely invest in the 65". Thank you for raising that point though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

I agree with the post above, it would be a huge upgrade in PQ

Thank you! I appreciate knowing that this will be more than just a size upgrade, but also a strong picture quality update as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin4653 View Post

Plasma picture quality has made some dramatic strides forward since 2005. I owned a mid-2004 42" Hitachi plasma and currently own a mid-2007 42" Hitachi plasma that originally retailed for the eye-popping sum of $5,499. My parents own a 2011-vintage 54" Panasonic, and I can't convey how superior the picture is on that set compared to my set. Black levels are significantly lower and overall video processing (things like noise reduction and interpolation of lower-resolution sources) is superior. And the current Panasonic plasmas are even better.

Plus, your current TV is an EDTV set--the old term for ~480p resolution. In a 42" the difference in clarity isn't as significant as it is in larger sets, but I think you would still be a bit surprised at the difference in clarity you would see in a large 1080p plasma.

Ah, so that's what EDTV means. I had gotten this TV as a gift when I got my apartment so I wasn't involved in the selection process of it. I'm really glad to know that this will be a solid upgrade and one that will really stand out to me. Thank you for the reassurance!
post #6 of 6 Old 11-21-2013, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Well, after much debating I have ordered the TC-P65ST60. After it was pointed out about the extra size, while it was a bit of a stretch budget wise I feel it was worth it. Got a good price and no second thoughts about should I have spent the money to go a size larger. It's gonna be a long wait for delivery haha.

Thanks for all of your help!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Th 42pd50u 42 Inch Flat Panel Edtv Plasma Tv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page