Geek squad for wall mount install? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-14-2013, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm sorry if this should be in a different forum, wasn't sure where to post. I have a question...

I'm getting a samsung 64" plasma, and want it mounted. I want the hdmi cable run behind the wall. I didn't understand until recently the power cord can't go back there w/o violating code, and it would be quite a bit more to get that done right. So wall mount, and also setting up my new pioneer sc-65 receiver.

I got a quote from a friend of a friend who does high end installs, and with the bracket, it was just under $600. That was more than I guessed, but I really had no idea. So I call Best Buy and for the same service, $269.
That's with the bracket. Am I missing something? Nothing special being done, no calibration. Just the install and set up.

I mean I did think the first quote was a lot, but half that raises my eyebrow. I just want it done right and set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-15-2013, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I think that the Best Buy price for installation is for a standard install and does not include running cables inside the wall. You might want to check that out before proceeding. As for the power cord, a power cable kit is available from Wiremold (see link below). It uses Romex cable and is code-compliant. Likewise, signal cables (HDMI, etc.) should be rated (CL2) for in-wall use.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/flat-panel-tv-cord-and-cable-power-kit/3600475.p?id=1218417733690&skuId=3600475&st=legrand-wiremold-113630&cp=1&lp=1
post #3 of 20 Old 11-15-2013, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I did check, and it does include running the HDMI cord behind the wall. It would only be one, as everything else is being connected to the receiver. I already bought the appropriate HDMI cabel for that from monoprice, along with the standard cables that don't need to go behind wall.

Thanks for the link, I'll check that out.
post #4 of 20 Old 11-15-2013, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbowm View Post

I think that the Best Buy price for installation is for a standard install and does not include running cables inside the wall. You might want to check that out before proceeding. As for the power cord, a power cable kit is available from Wiremold (see link below). It uses Romex cable and is code-compliant. Likewise, signal cables (HDMI, etc.) should be rated (CL2) for in-wall use.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/flat-panel-tv-cord-and-cable-power-kit/3600475.p?id=1218417733690&skuId=3600475&st=legrand-wiremold-113630&cp=1&lp=1

You can have bestbuy use the in-wall power kits linked there and they do a pretty good job with it. Two things to keep in mind: 1) the power cord and the HDMI cords behind the wall must be within 1 stud bay and 2) it's $50 for them to install the in-wall power bridge. Really, though, not too bad to keep everything up to code and out of sight.
RottScott likes this.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-18-2013, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

This is the same thing, right? Same model number, am I missing something? Way less at HD if it's apples to apples.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wiremold-Legrand-Flat-Screen-TV-Cord-and-Cable-Power-Kit-White-CMK70/203227289#.UoqnKeIwJrA
post #6 of 20 Old 11-18-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottScott View Post

This is the same thing, right? Same model number, am I missing something? Way less at HD if it's apples to apples.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wiremold-Legrand-Flat-Screen-TV-Cord-and-Cable-Power-Kit-White-CMK70/203227289#.UoqnKeIwJrA

It's the exact same thing and at an incredible price! I bought mine at bestbuy.com for $50 (on sale) with free shipping, which was the same price at a local Home Depot.
post #7 of 20 Old 11-18-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Walked right in with my printout, and they honored it. Paid for my install as well, it's set up for Monday. cool.gif
post #8 of 20 Old 11-18-2013, 09:04 PM
AKA
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbowm View Post

It's the exact same thing and at an incredible price! I bought mine at bestbuy.com for $50 (on sale) with free shipping, which was the same price at a local Home Depot.

Definitely a good price. Has anyone doing this considered Powerbridge? They even have special prices offered to AVS members (29.99 for the base model, and up). I've seen the Legrand model at BB but it's overpriced there, and Powerbridge usually sells for less, even at retail. So it's good to see that lower price that gives folks another option.

Anyone have experience with both? Got a preference? An earlier post noted that the Legrand (wiremold) came with Romex. Is this true? It looks like the top receptacle comes prewired, with a plug on the other end, as opposed to raw Romex wire, which is what solutions such as Powerbridge offer. Does the Legrand (wiremold) meet NEC code? It certainly appears to be a little simpler install, but maybe not as clean, since you're stuck with the full length of the cord they include.
post #9 of 20 Old 11-18-2013, 09:15 PM
AKA
Advanced Member

Just found some info from Legrand's website. Despite looking like flexible cord in the pictures, it is actually NM cable, which is code-conforming.

Still intrerested in feedback from people who've used both.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-19-2013, 05:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA View Post

Just found some info from Legrand's website. Despite looking like flexible cord in the pictures, it is actually NM cable, which is code-conforming.

Still intrerested in feedback from people who've used both.

I can't say from my own personal experience but from talking to a few installers (worked for Best Buy, Magnolia HT, and Magnolia Design Center) they all preferred the wiremold product. They said they both work fine but the wiremold was a bit easier to install.
post #11 of 20 Old 11-19-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simp1yamazn View Post

I can't say from my own personal experience but from talking to a few installers (worked for Best Buy, Magnolia HT, and Magnolia Design Center) they all preferred the wiremold product. They said they both work fine but the wiremold was a bit easier to install.

I used the Legrand/Wiremold power cable kit for my install above the fireplace and was very impressed with the product. Very well engineered and super easy to install. Highly recommended!
post #12 of 20 Old 11-19-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Do the cables inside the wall go thru any sort of conduit (with a pull string) so that if you have to replace or add another cable down the road you can?
post #13 of 20 Old 11-19-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Do the cables inside the wall go thru any sort of conduit (with a pull string) so that if you have to replace or add another cable down the road you can?

No conduit used, but I tied a cord at each end of the cable run for possible future use as you indicated. The power cable (Romex) was longer than needed so I tied up the excess with a spot tie just inside the wall at one end.
post #14 of 20 Old 11-19-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 254
At least that's something. A lot of people don't think about conduit or pull strings and regret it big time later on. Conduit is more trouble but it pretty much future-proofs any cabling system down the road and is so much easier to upgrade/repair. I just installed CAT-6 for my HTS system and used flex-con in the walls (with pull strings at both ends) with a large enough diameter to accommodate multiple cables should I need to add them down the road. It's about a 70' run so I wanted to make it as easy as possible for the future. Even 5' runs can be a real pain if there are obstructions in the wall.
post #15 of 20 Old 11-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Paying for an install ? Get a drill & level & a friend ....

My wife hung the 55 Plasma by herself as a surprise for me....

Panny 55St60
Panny 55St50(gaming)
Sony 55 NX720
Samsung 42 Hpt(Plasma)
Panny 32Viera LCD (TX)
Klipsch surround
Denon HDMI Receiver
Bose Solo
Playstation4(BF4,Madden,Ghosts,NFS,KZ,FIFA)
XBox360
Ipad 1 & 2
Iphone 5S
post #16 of 20 Old 11-19-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicFlair View Post

My wife hung the 55 Plasma by herself as a surprise for me....
That's badass.

I agree. Having mounted 2 50" plasmas (the second one with no help), I wouldn't pay someone to do it. A stud finder, a drill, and a level is really all it takes if you've got a drywall or plaster wall on studs. Many mounts have a level built in or include a small separate level.

I also wouldn't buy one of the in-wall wiring kits for more than $30. It wouldn't typically cost any more to get off the shelf junction boxes, outlets, and romex and actually add an outlet, rather than extending one through the wall.
post #17 of 20 Old 11-19-2013, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post

That's badass.

I agree. Having mounted 2 50" plasmas (the second one with no help), I wouldn't pay someone to do it. A stud finder, a drill, and a level is really all it takes if you've got a drywall or plaster wall on studs. Many mounts have a level built in or include a small separate level.

I also wouldn't buy one of the in-wall wiring kits for more than $30. It wouldn't typically cost any more to get off the shelf junction boxes, outlets, and romex and actually add an outlet, rather than extending one through the wall.

I'm somewhat handy.... but I'm admittedly the type to have it done right the first time, without me getting frustrated at any point. I just want it done and everything set up ready to roll.
post #18 of 20 Old 11-20-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post

I briefly thought about adding an outlet on the wall behind the TV, but that wouldn't have allowed for a surge suppressor. For that reason, I used a cable kit.
post #19 of 20 Old 11-21-2013, 07:20 AM
AKA
Advanced Member

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I do have a somewhat related question.

I was shopping for some in-wall HDMI cables and notice that Monoprice sells some of their cable (Redmere, etc) as safe for in-wall use because of its VW-1 rating. My understanding is that only CL rated product is approved for in-wall applications.

Can anyone confirm who is correct here? I asked a Monoprice rep about it and they insist it's acceptable, for the stated reason.
post #20 of 20 Old 11-21-2013, 10:35 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Had the "Geek Squad" wall mount my new Panny 65VT60 and install this kit http://www.amazon.com/Wiremold-Company-CMK70-Screen-Cable/dp/B006K3CM4S/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt since they do not put A/C in the wall. They did a fantasic job and it was money well spent!

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite Sc 65 9 2 Channel Thx Select 2 Plus A V Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page