Calibration settings - RGB 0-255 vs the standard 16-235 range - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-17-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi, I am looking at trying some posted settings for HDMI bluray movie watching ... there seems to be setup summary at the top of the S60 settings indicating the RGB range (i.e RGB 0-255 vs the standard 16-235 range )

Q) in order to get good results, should my BD player be set to match the RGB setup above that I seem to be seeing in the settings that are posted ?

My BD seems to be able to let set my HDMI output to either RGB 0-255 or 16-235 range .

thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Goo

Set your player to match; if they are mismatched it will either wash out the image or crush detail.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-17-2013, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

so you are saying .. that as long as they are the same at both ends it doesn't matter whether hdmi is set to 255 or not ? the posted settings will have the same black level and color ??
post #4 of 5 Old 11-17-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 145
In most cases you should set Blu-Ray to YCbCr and you shouldn't even be using RGB.

But you're right... it doesn't really matter whether you set it to RGB Full or RGB Limited, as long as your display is expecting the range that your device is outputting. For PCs/gaming consoles, I recommend using RGB Full if possible.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-18-2013, 01:19 AM
Goo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsavs View Post

so you are saying .. that as long as they are the same at both ends it doesn't matter whether hdmi is set to 255 or not ? the posted settings will have the same black level and color ??

Set the HDMI setting on the player to match what your TV is set to.

For example, if the TV is set to accept Full range 0-255, set the player's HDMI output to 0-255.
If the TV is set to accept Limted range 16-235 set the player's HDMI output to 16-235.

Blu-Ray is encoded to the limited range so technically the limited setting is appropriate for that content, by setting the player's RGB range to match the TV's setting you are making sure there is no "miscommunication" between the player and the TV regardless of how the content is encoded.

For example, when using the Full range setting on both the player and TV, the player will send 0-255 signal to the TV but it will make sure the content is sent without crushing the black detail or washing out the image. 0-15 will have no data; 16-235 will have the movie; 236-255 will have no data. The movie will look normal.

If the player is set to Limited but the TV is set to Full, there might be a miscommunication between the devices where the TV is reading the 0-15 color space as data from the movie's 16-32 color space, this will crush your dark details and make them much darker than they should appear. Reverse these output settings and the movie will look washed out.

Hope this helps.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page