Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-19-2013, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Hello, Coupla questions regarding Soap Opera Effect:

* What's the adjustment called and which Menu is it in?
* Is it Source specific?

I am watching "Damages" (great series with Glenn Close) and SOE seems to come and go; pretty weird.

Thank you,
Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-19-2013, 05:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It is in the main picture menu and is called Motion Smoother. I usually turn it off.

Edit: Yes, it is source and picture mode specific.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-19-2013, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatal One View Post

It is in the main picture menu and is called Motion Smoother. I usually turn it off.

Edit: Yes, it is source and picture mode specific.

Thanks.
Mine is set to OFF. Since this effect with NetFlix only and since the source is the same as TV, could it be the frame rate that NetFlix is using?

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #4 of 12 Old 11-19-2013, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I've had the Netflix app get a bit choppy once or twice but only when streaming a new show but not the periodic SOE you describe. You may attempt setting the motion smoother to low and see if that helps.

Also, I've never seen the show but it could be the camera work in the show itself that leads to that feeling. I know quite a few movies in the 80's have panning sequences and camera work that I absolutely despise. Plus, there is a whole TV genre that guilty of using such camera work and hence the name Soap Opera Effect. wink.gif
post #5 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatal One View Post

I've had the Netflix app get a bit choppy once or twice but only when streaming a new show but not the periodic SOE you describe. You may attempt setting the motion smoother to low and see if that helps.

Also, I've never seen the show but it could be the camera work in the show itself that leads to that feeling. I know quite a few movies in the 80's have panning sequences and camera work that I absolutely despise. Plus, there is a whole TV genre that guilty of using such camera work and hence the name Soap Opera Effect. wink.gif[/qu

I did some experimenting with the Motion Smoother settings last nite. They had zero effect on the NetFlix streamed show, "Damages." This and the fact that other streamed movies do not show this SOE tendency (at least that I've noticed) leads me to believe its the way the show is filmed (duh).

I will add that Motion Smoother on the Panasonic plasmas has a much subtler effect than True Motion does on Samsung LEDs, for what its worth.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #6 of 12 Old 11-20-2013, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

Thanks.
Mine is set to OFF. Since this effect with NetFlix only and since the source is the same as TV, could it be the frame rate that NetFlix is using?

What do you mean by "picture mode specific?"

Thanks, Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #7 of 12 Old 11-21-2013, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Thanks.

Are you changing the setting while you are actually in the Netflix app and watching your show?

The Netflix app runs in the 'Internet' input and has it's own set of picture settings that it uses apart from every other input. Now changing the picture settings in Netflix will require you to exit and come back into Netflix before you can properly see the changes you've made. If you make some changes like brightness and contrast you will see the actual change 'flash' on the screen as you are going up or down in your values...I use the sharpness setting and scroll from minimum to maximum and back again to get a preview of the changes. Exit and then run Netflix again to see all your changes applied.

If you like your picture settings that you are using in HDMI 1 for example and you are using Cinema, Custom, Pro 1 or Pro 2 Picture mode you can copy those settings directly into another input like Internet (Netflix). You find the copy function on page 3 of your picture settings.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-21-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by absurd_username View Post

Are you changing the setting while you are actually in the Netflix app and watching your show?

The Netflix app runs in the 'Internet' input and has it's own set of picture settings that it uses apart from every other input. Now changing the picture settings in Netflix will require you to exit and come back into Netflix before you can properly see the changes you've made. If you make some changes like brightness and contrast you will see the actual change 'flash' on the screen as you are going up or down in your values...I use the sharpness setting and scroll from minimum to maximum and back again to get a preview of the changes. Exit and then run Netflix again to see all your changes applied.

If you like your picture settings that you are using in HDMI 1 for example and you are using Cinema, Custom, Pro 1 or Pro 2 Picture mode you can copy those settings directly into another input like Internet (Netflix). You find the copy function on page 3 of your picture settings.

Wow-Internet, that's a new one on me but you're right. The confusing thing is that its the only input name that shows when you're in Menu. For example, regular TV viewing, DVR,etc for me is HDMI 1, but HDMI 1 doesn't show at the top of the Menu. That said, the Internet input in Menu shows Motion Smoother set to OFF, yet I still have SOE in NetFlix. Weird.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #9 of 12 Old 11-21-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Wow-Internet, that's a new one on me but you're right. The confusing thing is that its the only input name that shows when you're in Menu. For example, regular TV viewing, DVR,etc for me is HDMI 1, but HDMI 1 doesn't show at the top of the Menu. That said, the Internet input in Menu shows Motion Smoother set to OFF, yet I still have SOE in NetFlix. Weird.

Hmm...what picture mode are you using while in Netflix/Internet? Is it just during the show 'Damages' that you see this SOE come and go? I've noticed with my VT60 (first plasma for me) that there is a very mild SOE or processed look (compared to my 7 year old Sony LCD) to the image at times. I attribute it to the 'Look of Plasma'...maybe has something to do with the 10 frames of subfield motion?
post #10 of 12 Old 11-21-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hmm...what picture mode are you using while in Netflix/Internet? Is it just during the show 'Damages' that you see this SOE come and go? I've noticed with my VT60 (first plasma for me) that there is a very mild SOE or processed look (compared to my 7 year old Sony LCD) to the image at times. I attribute it to the 'Look of Plasma'...maybe has something to do with the 10 frames of subfield motion?

Interesting-I went from a 7-8 year old Sony (the hybrid LCD model) to the VT60 too.

I checked and I'm running Home Theater for HDMI1 and Custom for Internet. I must have adjusted the settings while watching NetFlix at one point and didn't realize they were just for Internet. And to be honest, I think the SOE is much much more evident in Damages than any other NetFlix show. Why don't you try it (if you have NetFlix streaming) and see if its the same for you? Its really evident.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #11 of 12 Old 11-21-2013, 09:41 PM

Well, I just worked my way through episode one of Damages and I don't see any glaring SOE. However I think it's the filming and lighting style that may creating a SOEish look. There seems to be alot of very shallow Depth of Field shots where the very sharp foreground shot of the actors is set against a very out of focus background combined with a 'Reality TV Shakeycam'.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
DAMNNNN did they really have to kill the dog mad.gif
post #12 of 12 Old 11-22-2013, 05:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well, I just worked my way through episode one of Damages and I don't see any glaring SOE. However I think it's the filming and lighting style that may creating a SOEish look. There seems to be alot of very shallow Depth of Field shots where the very sharp foreground shot of the actors is set against a very out of focus background combined with a 'Reality TV Shakeycam'.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
DAMNNNN did they really have to kill the dog mad.gif

Hi. Thanks for checking-most appreciated. Yeah, you're right. I guess I over-reacted because the effect is just SO different from what I was used to AND from other shows on NetFlix (which I verified last nite). Not making excuses but also, I am new to plasma and we started viewing Damages in the first month or so of ownership.

Really sorry to have caused a big deal about nothing. I usually don't do that.

Thanks man, Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60vt60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page