Plasma Causing Hum in Amps - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-21-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm getting an oscillating hum from my Adcom amps whenever I turn on my Panasonic plasma tv. The hum isn't coming through the speakers, but from the amps themselves. I turn on the tv and the amps hum, I turn the tv off and the hum from the amps disappears. I'm stumped. The amps and the tv are plugged into separate outlets on different walls in the room. Does anyone have any advice as to how to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-21-2013, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by slovell1 View Post

I'm getting an oscillating hum from my Adcom amps whenever I turn on my Panasonic plasma tv. The hum isn't coming through the speakers, but from the amps themselves. I turn on the tv and the amps hum, I turn the tv off and the hum from the amps disappears. I'm stumped. The amps and the tv are plugged into separate outlets on different walls in the room. Does anyone have any advice as to how to fix this?

Sounds like you may need a ground loop isolator or equivalent. The easiest way to test this is get a grounded to ungrounded (i.e. three female prong to two male prong) adapter at Home Depot and plug it into your amp power plug then plug that into the wall. Then turn on the plasma and see if you still get hum. I had a subwoofer that did this and that fixed it. There are other fixes also, but this is the least expensive. Insert warning about surge protection and such here.

post #3 of 5 Old 11-21-2013, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

The plugs on the amps and tv are all two prong male. Should I try a two female to three male adapter? Do they even make these? I've seen the three female to two male but I don't recall seeing the two female to three male.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-19-2014, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe you have resolved issue. I had same problem with new panasonic plasma and emotiva amps.

I plugged tv in outlet on different circuit while everything else remained same, problem gone.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-21-2014, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

I bought a Humbuster from AVA Audio which completely eliminated the hum. It's not often you actually get what you paid for.
Regards, Sam
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Plasma Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page