ADVICE NEEDED: Panasonic ST, VT, or ZT? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-22-2013, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Let me first start off by saying that I currently have a 50" Pioneer Elite PRO-1150 that I absolutely love. With that said, I've decided that I want to upgrade to a 60" in the family room. I was dead set on the ST60 and it's five star CNET rating before I was able to view it in a store with the VT and ZT series. After comparing those three sets, it seems to me that only the VT and ZT would match my Pioneer in terms of PQ. So my question is, which set offers the best bang for the buck compared to my Pioneer?

ST60 ,VT60 (+$500), or ZT60 (+$900)?

Also, what's a good tilting mount for this TV? I would like a mount that allows for the TV to be mounted as close to the wall as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-22-2013, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'd be careful to base too much of this decision on what you saw in a retail store. Just by changing the picture settings, you could easily make an ST60 look far superior to a ZT60. These models are more similar than different.

ST60 is clearly the best bang for the buck, based on current pricing. Arguably, Panasonic may not have done enough to differentiate their product lines. The case for moving up to the VT or ZT is for the last 5-10% in picture quality.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-22-2013, 05:47 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 477
What kind of content will you be watching on this display?

And will you be watching in a dark room or light room? Daytime or night time?

And how important is that extra $500 or $900 to you?

If your primary use for this display will be Blu-Ray movies and want to get the best possible picture quality then i'd go for the VT60 or ZT60. To me, these two are the more cinematic displays.

But if you're primarily watching cable or antenna TV and sports and news etc then then the ST60 would probably be just fine - and maybe even better (and i'm not just because of the lower price).

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
post #4 of 6 Old 11-22-2013, 07:18 PM

Liked: 28
I sold my 50" Pioneer Elite Kuro last year to get a 65" VT50 and have never regretted it. I would recommend getting a 65VT60, or a 60" if you can't make the 65" work. The VT60's are great. Even though my VT50 suffers from the yellow blobs problem I'm still happy with it. It's getting replaced, likely with a VT60, which do not have this issue. My Elite Kuro, while awesome, never really gave me a sharp picture, regardless of the settings, source material, or connection setup. We have a non-Elite Kuro of the same generation, same size, in the bedroom and it always gave a sharper picture than my Elite. This always aggravated me. The VT50 blew away my Elite and I think looks better than the Kuro in the bedroom. I don't think you'll get that much more with the ZT and it's almost impossible to find them side by side and not on torch mode to do a comparison. Clearly now is the time to choose though. Go get a VT60 now, waiting will not make the choice any clearer.

post #5 of 6 Old 11-22-2013, 07:43 PM

Man it seems like everyone is trading in their Pioneers for VT's this month! I just lost my Pioneer 5010FD to the 12 blinking lights of death and replaced it for a 55" vt60.

I have only had it a day now but without even calibrating I put in a BluRay and set the picture to "THX-Cinema" and it looked as good, if not better than my Pioneer which I loved.

I was trying to get a ST60 through the recent deals at Frys and Pauls, but I missed out on those ($999 for a 60"!) crazy deals - instead I was able to get a $200 discount on the VT60 model from Amazon.

If that deal wasn't available, I would have taken the ST60 model - I suspect the PQ is very similar were you to put same content and same settings through 2 new models. If you buy through somewhere with generous returns policy (Amazon) you could even try it out first. To me the VT60 costs so much because it has a lot of features I will never use such as facial recognition, the camera, a 2nd remote, etc.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-26-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

What kind of content will you be watching on this display?

And will you be watching in a dark room or light room? Daytime or night time?

And how important is that extra $500 or $900 to you?

If your primary use for this display will be Blu-Ray movies and want to get the best possible picture quality then i'd go for the VT60 or ZT60. To me, these two are the more cinematic displays.

But if you're primarily watching cable or antenna TV and sports and news etc then then the ST60 would probably be just fine - and maybe even better (and i'm not just because of the lower price).

Hi there- I am deciding between these three.  Can you please explain to be why the ST may be better than the more expensive ones please.  Also at 1080p can these TV's show more than 30fps.  Thank you.

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Elite Kuro Pro 1150hd 50 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P60vt60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60zt60 60 Inch Plasma Tv
Gear in this thread - 1150hd by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page