Is it worth to buy a newer/last Panasonic Plasma model in order to wait for OLED? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-24-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hello Guys:

I have a 42" 720p Plasma Model TC-P42X3 purchased back in July 2011, TV is manufactured in March 2011. TV is working perfectly.  It has 2488 hours of operation.  I really cannot stand LED picture quality and I do not care about 1080p for watching videos/tv.  So not sure if OLED prices will reach the masses soon.  TV is going out of warranty in about 6 months.

Not sure if I can just deal with current TV and deal with replacements parts in case something happens or it will worth it to but buy the newer model TC-P42X60?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2013, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by figo123 View Post

Hello Guys:

I have a 42" 720p Plasma Model TC-P42X3 purchased back in July 2011, TV is manufactured in March 2011. TV is working perfectly.  It has 2488 hours of operation.  I really cannot stand LED picture quality and I do not care about 1080p for watching videos/tv.  So not sure if OLED prices will reach the masses soon.  TV is going out of warranty in about 6 months.

Not sure if I can just deal with current TV and deal with replacements parts in case something happens or it will worth it to but buy the newer model TC-P42X60?

Thanks!

Not sure I understand your question. You panel is basically still new as you only have 2,488 hours. If you don't care about 1080p and are not going up in screen size, then there is no need to upgrade, in my view. Most people upgrade for larger screen sizes, better resolution and pq. If what you have works perfectly, for you, and you are happy, I would say save your money.
tdogroeder and figo123 like this.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda1169 View Post

Not sure I understand your question. You panel is basically still new as you only have 2,488 hours. If you don't care about 1080p and are not going up in screen size, then there is no need to upgrade, in my view. Most people upgrade for larger screen sizes, better resolution and pq. If what you have works perfectly, for you, and you are happy, I would say save your money.

Thanks Cuda1169, yes you understood my question right.  My doubt was that if it would be necessary to purchase last Panasonic plasma model with same specs ( 42" is the right size for my bedroom and 1080p is no longer available on such Plasma size)  to be "better" covered in case OLED will be cheap until 2020, let´s hope 2016-2017! 

Thanks for your opinion, I will save the money and will purchase replacements parts if necessary.

Thanks again!

Old 11-24-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

Hello Guys:

Thanks!

If you don't care for 1080p, I don't understand why you would be interested in OLED? You have a low end plasma, and you are considering getting another low end plasma to upgrade, OLED is in another level for you, I wouldn't even consider it. If something went wrong with your tv, I would just upgrade to a better one, wouldn't even bother fixing it.
tdogroeder likes this.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
Old 11-24-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

If you don't care for 1080p, I don't understand why you would be interested in OLED? You have a low end plasma, and you are considering getting another low end plasma to upgrade, OLED is in another level for you, I wouldn't even consider it. If something went wrong with your tv, I would just upgrade to a better one, wouldn't even bother fixing it.

OLED has better picture than Plasma, it is not a matter if it is 720p or 1080p, OLED has better picture quality than Plasma (contrast,colors, etc)  I cannot buy OLED today because it costs $8,000+, but in the future it will be available to the masses, no matter if it is 720p,1080p or 4K I will buy it, simply because it has better picture quality than Plasma. 

FYI:

a) Resolution alone is no indication of picture quality.

b) My low end plasma blows out of the water 99% of all 1080p LCD/LEDs currently on the market except for computer/gaming usage since my plasma is 720p against 1080p that it is better for such usage. A 720p Plasma TV  can look way better than a 4K LED/LCD. People will never understand that fact, that is probably one of the factors that Panasonic considered to quit making Plasmas.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
I think the accurate statement would be "resolution alone is no indication of picture quality," as it is certainly a component of PQ, just not the most important one (near the bottom of the list, in fact). The biggest area of OLED improvement is the contrast...plasma already has mastered color reproduction (that can't be significantly improved without an upgrade of the color space, which is where future HDMI revisions come in). As of this moment, OLED motion processing is also a weak point.
figo123 likes this.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

OLED has better picture than Plasma, it is not a matter if it is 720p or 1080p, OLED has better picture quality than Plasma (contrast,colors, etc)  I cannot buy OLED today because it costs $8,000+, but in the future it will be available to the masses, no matter if it is 720p,1080p or 4K I will buy it, simply because it has better picture quality than Plasma. 

FYI:

a) Resolution alone is no indication of picture quality.

b) My low end plasma blows out of the water 99% of all 1080p LCD/LEDs currently on the market except for computer/gaming usage since my plasma is 720p against 1080p that it is better for such usage. A 720p Plasma TV  can look way better than a 4K LED/LCD. People will never understand that fact, that is probably one of the factors that Panasonic considered to decide to stop making Plasmas.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

I think the accurate statement would be "resolution alone is no indication of picture quality," as it is certainly a component of PQ, just not the most important one (near the bottom of the list, in fact). The biggest area of OLED improvement is the contrast...plasma already has mastered color reproduction (that can't be significantly improved without an upgrade of the color space, which is where future HDMI revisions come in). As of this moment, OLED motion processing is also a weak point.

Thanks Vinnie97, I corrected my initial post with your statement!  You are totally correct.  We will need to wait for OLED and see what happens, I am kind of "scared" that the LED/LCD 4K "crap" will delay even more or even "kill" the time when OLED will be available to the masses.

We will have to wait and see what happens!

Old 11-24-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FYI:

a) Resolution is no indication of picture quality.

b) My low end plasma blows out of the water 99% of all 1080p LCD/LEDs currently on the market except for computer/gaming usage since my plasma is 720p against 1080p that it is better for such usage. A 720p Plasma TV  can look way better than a 4K LED/LCD. People will never understand that fact, that is probably one of the factors that Panasonic considered to decide to stop making Plasmas.

I agree with OLED being having better pic quality than plasma, as for blowing 99% of 1080p LCD out of the water, yeah in 42" sizes but you can't compare a 42" with a 60". You are wrong thinking a 720p plasma can look better than a 4K panel. Again if your panel was the same size it wouldn't do so well compared to 4K the same size playing at each tv native's resolution. I know resolution is not indication of better picture quality, Seiki tv's are a good example. OLED won't be affordable for another couple of years, so I would upgrade now before all Panny plasmas are gone or wait a couple of years to get an OLED.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

Old 11-24-2013, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

Not too mention we have don't know how well OLEDs will maintain their calibration and overall PQ over time. Will they deteriorate like SXRD did? I don't want to go down that path again. I will wait until OLED is somewhat mature and having proved itself out.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I agree with OLED being having better pic quality than plasma, as for blowing 99% of 1080p LCD out of the water, yeah in 42" sizes but you can't compare a 42" with a 60". You are wrong thinking a 720p plasma can look better than a 4K panel. Again if your panel was the same size it wouldn't do so well compared to 4K the same size playing at each tv native's resolution. I know resolution is not indication of better picture quality, Seiki tv's are a good example. OLED won't be affordable for another couple of years, so I would upgrade now before all Panny plasmas are gone or wait a couple of years to get an OLED.

I am 99% sure any Panasonic plasma will look way better than most of all LED/LCD at any size, even at 4K for watching TV/movies, 4K if I am correct is just a marketing strategy to extend LED/LCD market penetration, "4K" still has all the image problems that most LED´s have until today.

If you buy a 4K set, you will be very lucky to upscale 99% of video material to 4K, which means you will not appreciate the 4K native resolution that those sets have or are supposed to have, so guess what, the image will still suffer a lot, it will look like crap, LCD/LEDs suffer a lot at non-native resolutions.

Phrehdd likes this.
Old 11-24-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am 99% sure any Panasonic plasma will look way better than most of all LED/LCD at any size, even at 4K for watching TV/movies, 4K if I am correct is just a marketing strategy to extend LED/LCD market penetration, "4K" still has all the image problems that most LED´s have until today.

If you buy a 4K set, you will be very lucky to upscale 99% of video material to 4K, which means you will not appreciate the 4K native resolution that those sets have or are supposed to have, so guess what, the image will still suffer a lot, it will look like crap, LCD/LEDs suffer a lot at non-native resolutions.

Haha, I agree with Panasonic Plasmas will outperform LCD in picture quality performance, I have one. That's beside the point you were stating your "42" 720 panel would kill 99% of LCD out there", it wouldn't. I'm not putting your set down, I just couldn't understand why you would be interested in high end picture quality, when you are interested in upgrading now with the lowest end panel.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Haha, I agree with Panasonic Plasmas will outperform LCD in picture quality performance, I have one. That's beside the point you were stating your "42" 720 panel would kill 99% of LCD out there", it wouldn't. I'm not putting your set down, I just couldn't understand why you would be interested in high end picture quality, when you are interested in upgrading now with the lowest end panel.

Latinoheat: Plasma Technology is better than LCD/LED technology at any resolution or size. That was my point.  I believe that there are like  4 LED sets that costs like $3000-$5000 that are great sets but they are just 4 sets and really expensive.

It is not possible for me to upgrade, 42" is more than enough for my bedroom.  I do really hope that first OLED panels available to the masses would be 1080p, I do not want to upscale most of the video content to 4K, image quality would suffer as well.  And I do not believe 720p,1080p standards for TV, Cable channels, etc will be upgraded to 4K in the near future.  4K  is just pure crap in my humble opinion and people will buy lots of 4K TVs simply because it is better resolution than 1080p but there is not enough material at 4K natively, so it is simply a waste of resolution. Part of a marketing strategy.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Its is not possible for me to upgrade, 42" is more than enough for my bedroom.  I do really hope that first OLED panels available to the masses would be 1080p, I do not want to upscale most of the video content to 4K, image quality would suffer as well.  And I do not believe 720p,1080p standards for cable channels, etc will be upgraded to 4K in the near future.  4K  is just pure crap in my humble opinion and people will buy lots of 4K TVs simply because it is better resolution than 1080p but there is not enough material at 4K natively, so it simply is just a waste of resolution.

Yeah 42" is big enough for a bedroom setup or sure. I don't see OLED coming out with 720p sets, we are moving forwards not backwards. As for 4K, at this moment it is not very beneficial but it will be. It will eventually come in cable/sat signals in a few years here in North America. Asia is rumoured they will have a UHD satellite by next year and Netflix is already in the works of streaming 4K content. Although none are true 4K , they are streamed or have processing going on, 4K Blu rays are coming.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yeah 42" is big enough for a bedroom setup or sure. I don't see OLED coming out with 720p sets, we are moving forwards not backwards. As for 4K, at this moment it is not very beneficial but it will be. It will eventually come in cable/sat signals in a few years here in North America. Asia is rumoured they will have a UHD satellite by next year and Netflix is already in the works of streaming 4K content. Although none are true 4K , they are streamed or have processing going on, 4K Blu rays are coming.

Good point, if 4K is going to be available for TV/Cable channels that will be a different story, but I have doubts it will be soon, companies would need to buy new cameras, new equipment, etc.

If changing from SD to HD globally was a difficult process, I do not believe upgrading to 4K will be an easy process. Not sure if the world is prepared or needs that upgrade, keeping in mind that a 4K resolution is just needed for really big TVs for seeing a noticeable improvement on video content, I understand that as a PC monitor it would be great to have a 4K set, but with just video content is a different story.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:50 PM

My TH-50PX80U kills my LN-52A750, I used settings obtained here for both. I am having a hard time deciding between 65VT, 65ZT, Samsung 64, and Sony KDL 65A850. Problem is the tv will go in living room where currently the lcd is hanged. Is not easy to decide and I would prefer a plasma over any LCD.
Old 11-24-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianny View Post

My TH-50PX80U kills my LN-52A750, I used settings obtained here for both. I am having a hard time deciding between 65VT, 65ZT, Samsung 64, and Sony KDL 65A850. Problem is the tv will go in living room where currently the lcd is hanged. Is not easy to decide and I would prefer a plasma over any LCD.

Gianny: That is correct, plasma technology is the better one for picture quality, it is better than LED at any size/resolution. Check OmniMount or other hanging solutions.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

Thanks Cuda1169, yes you understood my question right.  My doubt was that if it would be necessary to purchase last Panasonic plasma model with same specs ( 42" is the right size for my bedroom and 1080p is no longer available on such Plasma size)  to be "better" covered in case OLED will be cheap until 2020, let´s hope 2016-2017! 

Thanks for your opinion, I will save the money and will purchase replacements parts if necessary.

Thanks again!

Sounds good. I wouldn't worry about being out of warranty. Replacement parts are likely not necessary. I have an LCD that is 7 years old and going strong, with the exception of the clouding that drove me to plasma.
figo123 likes this.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 972
buy the tv you will still want to be using in 3yrs.

if you are ok watching a 42" 720p tv in 2016, then by all means, just leave it. I don't think TV's magically explode after warranty expire...haha. personally, that thought scares me almost as much as having to use an edge-lit LED anywhere outside the bathroom, and I would be replacing not only my main tv, but probably my bedroom and living room TV's as well, haha.

Samsung is still a reasonable option for at least another year too, keep that in mind.
figo123 likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Old 11-24-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good point, if 4K is going to be available for TV/Cable channels that will be a different story, but I have doubts it will be soon, companies would need to buy new cameras, new equipment, etc.

If changing from SD to HD globally was a difficult process, I do not believe upgrading to 4K will be an easy process. Not sure if the world is prepared or needs that upgrade, keeping in mind that a 4K resolution is just needed for really big TVs for seeing a noticeable improvement on video content, I understand that as a PC monitor it would be great to have a 4K set, but with just video content is a different story.

I don't even have 1080p cable available here, heck 90% of what comes down the pipe is still 4:3! uhd sounds like a million years off for anything other than online and disc content. I don't even think streaming is possible with current high speed internet here.
figo123 likes this.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

I don't even have 1080p cable available here, heck 90% of what comes down the pipe is still 4:3! uhd sounds like a million years off for anything other than online and disc content. I don't even think streaming is possible with current high speed internet here.

I agree with you, 4K sounds like a crazy idea, I hope it does not sell that well like 3D sets (ESPN already dropped or it is about to drop the 3D cable channel), so TV manufacturers should stick with 720p and 1080p sets for a really long time, maybe they can produce 4K for just 60+ inches as an example, but I can´t imagine the "beauty" of having a 480p or 720p broadcast been upscaled to 4K on 60" set! That sounds really sick and it is a very stupid idea! But sadly most of the people do not think about it, people minds are "trapped" that if its 4K or "8K", it will be better but that is really not the truth in practice.

It is really irresponsible from TV manufacturers to try to cheat people with the 4K resolution feature to sell more sets,  but this is not new at all, TV manufacturers adopted 1360x768 as the native resolutions for "720p" sets instead of matching 100% 720p resolution (1280x720), this created an image problem (non-native resolution issues specially with LCD/LEDs)  and that is why people were pushed to buy/upgrade to 1080p sets (matched 100%native resolution (1920x1080)), as they had "better" image quality.

Let´s hope for the best, let´s have faith that OLED will be cheap soon with great image quality and good reliability, let´s hope the internet or electronics media will be honest about 4K sets in order to convince people such resolutions are not necessary so it could accelerate the need for OLED TV´s for a better overall image experience, I really hope the consumers can understand that 4K is just a part of a marketing plan to sell more sets and that it is really not necessary to purchase a 4K set right now that there is no 4K material as of today, and I bet TV channels will not implement such resolutions natively for the next 10-20 years.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

buy the tv you will still want to be using in 3yrs.

if you are ok watching a 42" 720p tv in 2016, then by all means, just leave it. I don't think TV's magically explode after warranty expire...haha. personally, that thought scares me almost as much as having to use an edge-lit LED anywhere outside the bathroom, and I would be replacing not only my main tv, but probably my bedroom and living room TV's as well, haha.

Samsung is still a reasonable option for at least another year too, keep that in mind.

Thanks as well for your advice!

Old 11-24-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Let´s hope for the best, let´s have faith that OLED will be cheap soon with great image quality and good reliability, let´s hope the internet or electronics media will be honest about 4K sets in order to convince people such resolutions are not necessary so it could accelerate the need for OLED TV´s for a better overall image experience, I really hope the consumers can understand that 4K is just a part of a marketing plan to sell more sets and that it is really not necessary to purchase a 4K set right now that there is no 4K material as of today, and I bet TV channels will not implement such resolutions natively for the next 10-20 years.

10-20 years. eek.gif People do get sucked in false advertisement or marketing gimmicks but in the next few years technology is moving fast and going forward, faster than you might think.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

10-20 years. eek.gif People do get sucked in false advertisement or marketing gimmicks but in the next few years technology is moving fast and going forward, faster than you might think.

i think it's been about 10-12yrs since 'HD cable' was announced. like i said, i'm still receiving nearly all 4:3 content. even the widescreen stuff ends up getting black bars encoded top and bottom, then sent as a 4:3 letterboxed image. when watched on 'hd' channels i end up with black bars top/bottom/left/right and an image about 30% smaller than my screen size. it's quite pathetic rolleyes.gif

not all markets are the same of course, but there needs to be some catalyst to spark a large change quickly for 4k to be reasonable. there's a lot of infrastructure that's not capable of 1080p video, let alone 4k yet.

i do agree with what many of you have posted about 4k in general though. i'd definitely take a 1080p plasma or oled over a UHD edgelit LED LCD. you can put the prettiest, highest resolution screen you want in front of that terrible backlight and it won't fix anything.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

i think it's been about 10-12yrs since 'HD cable' was announced. like i said, i'm still receiving nearly all 4:3 content. even the widescreen stuff ends up getting black bars encoded top and bottom, then sent as a 4:3 letterboxed image. when watched on 'hd' channels i end up with black bars top/bottom/left/right and an image about 30% smaller than my screen size. it's quite pathetic rolleyes.gif

not all markets are the same of course, but there needs to be some catalyst to spark a large change quickly for 4k to be reasonable. there's a lot of infrastructure that's not capable of 1080p video, let alone 4k yet.

i do agree with what many of you have posted about 4k in general though. i'd definitely take a 1080p plasma or oled over a UHD edgelit LED LCD. you can put the prettiest, highest resolution screen you want in front of that terrible backlight and it won't fix anything.

That is correct, TV manufacturers are not really interested in fixing the picture issues LED/LCD have always had, they just want to sell more and more of the same "average" image quality.  I even read that 4K might not even reach the TV Studios since there is already an 8K format been developed, so TV studios might wait until 8K is established.  Globally, TV studios have just made the change to HD, so it is really not possible to make an investment for 4K in the near future. That will simply not happen. It makes sense to me.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57566079-221/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/forget-ultra-hd-8k-is-closer-than-you-think/14385/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/smpte-fox-exec-seeing-no-649952

4K=Marketing Gimmick.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is correct, TV manufacturers are not really interested in fixing the picture issues LED/LCD have always had, they just want to sell more and more of the same "average" image quality.  I even read that 4K might not even reach the TV Studios since there is already an 8K format been developed, so TV studios might wait until 8K is established.  Globally, TV studios have just made the change to HD, so it is really not possible to make an investment for 4K in the near future. That will simply not happen. It makes sense to me.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57566079-221/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/news/article/forget-ultra-hd-8k-is-closer-than-you-think/14385/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/smpte-fox-exec-seeing-no-649952

4K=Marketing Gimmick.

hmm, my only problem with that is I think 4k is already 'not necessary' on screens in the flat screen range(say under 100"), so I don't even know what the point of 8k would be on projector sized screens...

feels like 4k projectors, and 8k in commercial theatres would make sense... I just don't know if the market can support an UHD format for 'large screens only'. will there be a reason for a 4k(or 8k) projector if we're still watching 1080p content?

in the end, i'm sure the market will adopt whatever the companies' marketing departments tell us too. let's be honest, it's the 95% of the population that's not self educated, or members of avs, that will dictate market success.

I just think of the old 7 flags commercials... instead of flags it'll be more k's, more fun! tongue.gif

Old 11-25-2013, 09:14 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 114
4K may be a gimmick, but you can't deny the increased bitrate it will bring. A few days ago, I was running 4K videos on my Panasonic S64 and the picture was sick, sick, SICK! That Chimei demo with a Chinese girl and a lobster was the best! Funny thing is, I actually liked the S64's picture better than Sony X900 and LG 84 inch UHDTV running native 4k contents. Did the native 4K LCDs have better details? Yes. Great enough to cancel out weakness in contrast ratio? Hell no. I mean, even the native 4K LCDs gave me different impressions depending on contents. 84 inch LG TV didn't look too good because of relatively low bitrate, but the Sony one looked great because of far better source. But even on the Sony X900, 4K hollywood movies didn't look that great either, so I felt we need to significantly improve bitrate to benefit both 1080p and 2160p displays.

If the next generation Bluray comes in 100~128gb, has 10 bit and higher bit depth color, lower amount of chroma subsampling, then I'm sold. I would not run native 1080p Bluray on native 1080p plasma anymore and will downscale everything.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

i think it's been about 10-12yrs since 'HD cable' was announced. like i said, i'm still receiving nearly all 4:3 content. even the widescreen stuff ends up getting black bars encoded top and bottom, then sent as a 4:3 letterboxed image. when watched on 'hd' channels i end up with black bars top/bottom/left/right and an image about 30% smaller than my screen size. it's quite pathetic

That is pretty pathetic ,What TV do you have? I forgot. That would drive me insane, our HDTV's are meant for HD content not SD. Why upgrade if people don't watch HD is my question?

I'm a plasma guy and by no means think a 4K LCD is better than our flagships 1080p plasmas but I don't hate on new technology. I have seen 4K content and it looks beautiful, I also know that all 4K panels are LCD's right now , therefore they still have LCD problems. As for only being beneficial for screens larger than 100" , you are mistaken, I can appreciate it at 65" for sure. Any smaller and I agree it's not worth it really. If and when OLED becomes more affordable and has 4K, I will definitely buy one and it won't be in 20 years. ( as long as OLED can prove itself).

Here is an interesting article.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/4k-tv-10-reasons-why-you-should-care

Old 11-25-2013, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That is pretty pathetic ,What TV do you have? I forgot. That would drive me insane, our HDTV's are meant for HD content not SD. Why upgrade if people don't watch HD is my question?

I'm a plasma guy and by no means think a 4K LCD is better than our flagships 1080p plasmas but I don't hate on new technology. I have seen 4K content and it looks beautiful, I also know that all 4K panels are LCD's right now , therefore they still have LCD problems. As for only being beneficial for screens larger than 100" , you are mistaken, I can appreciate it at 65" for sure. Any smaller and I agree it's not worth it really. If and when OLED becomes more affordable and has 4K, I will definitely buy one and it won't be in 20 years. ( as long as OLED can prove itself).

Here is an interesting article.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/4k-tv-10-reasons-why-you-should-care

4K or 8K will never be mainstream (since it is a resolution only "usable" for 60-100 inch screens), for such fact,  720p,1080i and 1080p formats will be available for a really long time. 480i or 480p is also still available by the way.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

hmm, my only problem with that is I think 4k is already 'not necessary' on screens in the flat screen range(say under 100"), so I don't even know what the point of 8k would be on projector sized screens...

feels like 4k projectors, and 8k in commercial theatres would make sense... I just don't know if the market can support an UHD format for 'large screens only'. will there be a reason for a 4k(or 8k) projector if we're still watching 1080p content?

in the end, i'm sure the market will adopt whatever the companies' marketing departments tell us too. let's be honest, it's the 95% of the population that's not self educated, or members of avs, that will dictate market success.

I just think of the old 7 flags commercials... instead of flags it'll be more k's, more fun! tongue.gif

Yes, 4K or 8K are resolutions  are simply not needed for the majority of TV´s, for the reasons you explained. Good point.

Unfortunately we are not part of that 95% of people! If we were part of it, Plasmas would be #1 in TV sales, LED/LCD technology should have been discontinued by now due to the lack of overall picture quality (contrast, colors,blacks, etc)

But no, people´s minds are tricked by Resolution only, 95% of people do not appreciate overall picture quality, they just forgot how good CRT Televisions looked back when HD was not available.

It is really an unfortunate scenario for good picture lovers, let´s hope at least OLED is released soon at least with affordable prices.

I really hope 4K TV´s do not sell well at all in order to "accelerate" the need for OLED panels for the mainstream market to increase TV sales.

Tags
Panasonic Viera 42 Inch Plasma Tv Tc P42x3 , Panasonic Tc P42x60 42 Inch Plasma Hdtv