LG 60PN5000 I need info to help decide whether to keep or not - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 393 Old 02-23-2014, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17

Not here. Do you know how to troubleshoot? It could be the input. Do you have both your bluray player and chromecast going into the same input? Try unplugging them and plug your uverse receiver into that input. If it still does it, it's the input. If not, it's your bluray/chromecast, or possibly even the HDMI cable.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 393 Old 02-23-2014, 12:53 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaptonsGhost View Post

Not here. Do you know how to troubleshoot? It could be the input. Do you have both your bluray player and chromecast going into the same input? Try unplugging them and plug your uverse receiver into that input. If it still does it, it's the input. If not, it's your bluray/chromecast, or possibly even the HDMI cable.

I've tried everything I could think of . my panny plasma doesn't have this issue with the same bluray. I even tried my ps3 and still same .here are a few more pics

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #273 of 393 Old 02-23-2014, 12:56 PM

post #274 of 393 Old 02-23-2014, 01:26 PM

What's the problem exactly? I thought it was you were getting sparklies in your black bars. If that's the case I think there are other posts here about that. Yeah, I know, 10 pages to search through. What can I tell ya. I think one of the things mentioned was what you had your SMI setting at. Also, maybe you have your black level set to "High" which kind of washes out your blacks. Make sure it's set to "Low". You black bar did look a bit dark grayish.

On a brighter note, I went back to Walmart a short while ago and, without a shred of evidence to prove that my tv was a previous return, I was able to get a $40 gift card from them, thereby lowering my cost to $558.00. And I don't have sparklies. Maybe you should return yours. How long have you had it. Walmart has a 90 day return on tv's.

post #275 of 393 Old 02-23-2014, 01:46 PM

Quote:

What's the problem exactly? I thought it was you were getting sparklies in your black bars. If that's the case I think there are other posts here about that. Yeah, I know, 10 pages to search through. What can I tell ya. I think one of the things mentioned was what you had your SMI setting at. Also, maybe you have your black level set to "High" which kind of washes out your blacks. Make sure it's set to "Low". You black bar did look a bit dark grayish.

On a brighter note, I went back to Walmart a short while ago and, without a shred of evidence to prove that my tv was a previous return, I was able to get a $40 gift card from them, thereby lowering my cost to $558.00. And I don't have sparklies. Maybe you should return yours. How long have you had it. Walmart has a 90 day return on tv's.

I've had it about 3weeks. I guess I could return it and try another one .thanks

post #276 of 393 Old 02-23-2014, 05:55 PM

You might as well. I know it's a pain considering the size and weight. I'm thankful mine is a keeper. I don't have anyone to help me if I had to lug mine back.

post #277 of 393 Old 02-23-2014, 07:52 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by parmend01 View Post

What do you have your brightness set on? That looks exactly like plasma dithering. Look it up. Thats very common for plasmas. I just turned my brightness down a little and it went away

post #278 of 393 Old 02-23-2014, 08:10 PM

Mine definitely does NOT look like that even at full brightness.  

post #279 of 393 Old 02-23-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamw5963 View Post

Quote:

What do you have your brightness set on? That looks exactly like plasma dithering. Look it up. Thats very common for plasmas. I just turned my brightness down a little and it went away

50% I'm going to exchange it sometime this week.

post #280 of 393 Old 02-23-2014, 08:31 PM

Just wondering if plasmas these days can be laid on there back ? Just wondering if its more a glass breaking thing or internal thing?

post #281 of 393 Old 02-23-2014, 10:00 PM

I wouldn't risk it personally.  Just too much potential for disaster.

post #282 of 393 Old 02-24-2014, 02:50 AM

Mine was laying flat in the back of my SUV on the trip home, which was only about 5 minutes. I've got my brightness at between 57 and 61 (still tweaking) and I don't have that. My black is solid black. One question, how close to actual image are the screen images in the pictures you posted? Because if that's a 1 to 1 replication your PQ settings are way off. Frankly it looks like crap. It shouldn't look that bad even straight out of the box. You may as well exchange it. It's only gonna cause more problems down the road.

post #283 of 393 Old 02-24-2014, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

50% I'm going to exchange it sometime this week.

I'd bet $100 there is nothing wrong with your tv, you either have the brightness set too high and/or black level on the wrong setting. That looks like classic plasma dithering aka green speckles.
post #284 of 393 Old 02-25-2014, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

I'd bet $100 there is nothing wrong with your tv, you either have the brightness set too high and/or black level on the wrong setting. That looks like classic plasma dithering aka green speckles.

Yeah, I mentioned his black level. I think I got it backwards, "High" makes blacks blacker, not "Low". But still, even on "Low", if he has brightness set to 50 (I have mine at 59), should it be that bad? I've had mine at 80 just to see if it looked good or washed out the picture and I still didn't see green sparklies. Anyway, he knows what he has to deal with if he returns the set. Boxing and lugging and securing this monster would encourage me to look for all possible solutions before returning it.

Macdragonfl likes this.
post #285 of 393 Old 02-25-2014, 06:14 PM

Seems normal, standing to close???
post #286 of 393 Old 02-26-2014, 06:59 AM

btw, for those of you who are totally new to this and wonder why LG would make a model specifically for Walmart that is essentially the same as another of their tv's, it's so you can't go to Best Buy and say "Look, Walmart has this tv for $598.00. Can you beat that?" Then Best Buy can turn around and reply "No, it's not the same as our tv, it's a 5000. We sell the 5300. We don't have to price match". Same with Costco. They also get models "made" specially for them.

post #287 of 393 Old 02-26-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post

Yeah, I mentioned his black level. I think I got it backwards, "High" makes blacks blacker, not "Low". But still, even on "Low", if he has brightness set to 50 (I have mine at 59), should it be that bad? I've had mine at 80 just to see if it looked good or washed out the picture and I still didn't see green sparklies. Anyway, he knows what he has to deal with if he returns the set. Boxing and lugging and securing this monster would encourage me to look for all possible solutions before returning it.

yeah I turned my brightness down to 48 and the sparkles are gone but anything over 50 I get the sparkles.

post #288 of 393 Old 02-26-2014, 02:48 PM

You shouldn't need to set brightness below 50. I bounce between 59 and 62 (still tweaking). Check that your black level is set to "High".

post #289 of 393 Old 02-26-2014, 02:51 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

You shouldn't need to set brightness below 50. I bounce between 59 and 62 (still tweaking). Check that your black level is set to "High".

Isn't 59 a bit high? I tried going to 53 or more and I see lots of dithering in the black areas
post #290 of 393 Old 02-26-2014, 04:46 PM

No, there's no dithering. Check your black level. I just noticed mine was set to "Low" on Expert 2 (which is what I use for bluray movies), so I set it to "High" and lowered my brightness to to 49 because it was too bright while still showing solid blacks. 

post #291 of 393 Old 02-27-2014, 06:18 PM

Hey, I just finished hanging the tv on my wall, and touched the screen and got some hand grease on it. What's the best way to clean it? I don't want to scratch anything.

post #292 of 393 Old 02-27-2014, 07:10 PM

Get a bottle of screen cleaner from WM and a micro-fiber towel...

post #293 of 393 Old 02-28-2014, 08:03 AM

Thanks, already have microfiber, just used some warm water. I only had two small smudges. I'll get screen cleaner in the future. Cheers.

Oh, and for those of you with green sparklies. I completely unplugged the tv when I mounted it, so when I plugged it back in, it defaulted to Standard (?) and I didn't notice it. I did notice my settings looked odd so I set them to what I remember, and there they were, green sparkiles. Because the tv was set too bright. Once I switched the setting to Expert 1 and corrected my settings they disappeared. So definitely, as others have said if you have them your tv is set too bright.

post #294 of 393 Old 02-28-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:

Thanks, already have microfiber, just used some warm water. I only had two small smudges. I'll get screen cleaner in the future. Cheers.
Oh, and for those of you with green sparklies. I completely unplugged the tv when I mounted it, so when I plugged it back in, it defaulted to Standard (?) and I didn't notice it. I did notice my settings looked odd so I set them to what I remember, and there they were, green sparkiles. Because the tv was set too bright. Once I switched the setting to Expert 1 and corrected my settings they disappeared. So definitely, as others have said if you have them your tv is set too bright.

What are your new settings? I'm getting these "sparkles" to ..can really notice it on black screen using PS3 over HDMI.

And a follow up from my last post a page or two back LG had the guy come out with the new panel and he replaced it under warranty ..no more red dot..yay.
post #295 of 393 Old 02-28-2014, 03:16 PM

Soon as I get a chance I'll post my settings. If anybody thinks my settings are too this or too that it will prove that different room conditions affect the PQ because my Directv and Bluray picture are amazing.

post #296 of 393 Old 03-02-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:

yeah I turned my brightness down to 48 and the sparkles are gone but anything over 50 I get the sparkles.

I have mine set at 80 no such problem. Maybe the set is not broken in yet? I used simple settings until 100 hours.
post #297 of 393 Old 03-03-2014, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztmike View Post

What are your new settings? I'm getting these "sparkles" to ..can really notice it on black screen using PS3 over HDMI.

And a follow up from my last post a page or two back LG had the guy come out with the new panel and he replaced it under warranty ..no more red dot..yay.

Well, that's excellent news!

post #298 of 393 Old 03-03-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztmike View Post

Hi ztmike, could try turning off "Deep Color Output" in the PS3 Display Settings menu.
post #299 of 393 Old 03-03-2014, 07:12 AM

Here's a question I haven't seen asked in this thread. Whenever I turn on a device like my 5.1 receiver I get a dialog box on the tv that says something like "New External Device detected. Would you like to enjoy this now?" or something to that effect. When I turn on my home theater using my Harmony remote, it automatically switches to HDMI 2 and gets rid of that box, but if I manually turn on my receiver or bluray player I get that box and it won't go away unless I highlight "No" and press select on the remote that comes with the tv.

Anyway to turn that off? It's annoying because I have my tv remote tucked away since I use the Harmony remote to control things, and I have to dig it out just to turn off that annoying dialog box.

UPDATE: Just chatted with LG customer support. No way to turn off this "feature". Oh well, small complaint at most.

post #300 of 393 Old 03-03-2014, 11:10 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kooter2.5 View Post

My PERSONAL best settings yet (they will change):

For softest most accurate reproduction:
Expert 2:
Back light: 99
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 90
H Sharp: 8
V Sharp: 9
Color: 63
Tint: 0
Dynamic Contrast:off
Color Gamut: Standard
Edge enhancer: on w/ Direct TV, off w/ bluray
Gamma: 2.2
Color temp: medium
LOW:
Red: -5
Green: -7
Blue: 0
HIGH:
Red:-9
Green: 5
Blue: -2
COLOR SYSTEM:
Yellow: -23,0,-5
Magenta: -9,-3,22
Cyan: no change
Blue: -2,0,-5
Green: -3,-28,-12
red: -4,3,-7

Applies to both:
Picture options:
Noise reduction: off, unless you are running analog source
MPEG NR: off w/ bluray, Low or medium w/ direct TV (helps for sports)
Black level: Low for bluray, High for DirctTV
Real Cinema: off bluray, on Direct TV

I've been playing with settings and experimenting. Right now I am enjoying these settings a lot with upscaled (thru my Denon 3313), Roku delivered content.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 60pn6500 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Lg Electronics Ln5300 39ln5300 39 Inch Led Lit 1080p 60hz Tv , Samsung Un55fh6030 55 Inch Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page