LG 60PN5000 I need info to help decide whether to keep or not - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 395 Old 06-26-2014, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinDaWg View Post
Which do you like better between this and the Samsung? I was debating between the two but ordered the 60F5300 for roughly $580 at Sears because I thought contrast/black levels would be a bit better. Is the pentile noticable on the Samsung or do they both look the same as far as sharpness goes?
It is too early to tell which one I like better. They are about 20 miles apart from each other and I probably don't have all my settings finalized but it is kind of a tie at the moment. It seems like the one I am looking at is the one I think is the one with the best picture. The pentile screen is a non-factor for me, the picture is really nice and for 580 dollars, I am fighting the urge to go buy another.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 395 Old 07-07-2014, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've got the 60PN5000 and I've been having a terrible time with my Apple TV. The problem happens when playing higher bitrate files via home sharing. After 10 minutes or so the picture starts to stutter and drop frames. Anyone else experiencing this? I've swapped the Apple TV with no luck. I've used the input label trick and set it to both Game and PC. My PS4 plays awesome, so I don't know where the problem lies.

I just had an LG repair tech come out and replace the main board on the TV and it's still doing it. Very frustrating.
post #393 of 395 Old 07-07-2014, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Here are some comments after a couple of weeks with this TV. I am really appreciating this TV. It has a very nice picture. The Samsung PN605300 might edge it out by a nose, but it is really close. It could be the black levels are better on the Samsung. It is hard to tell. Both pictures are clear and the colors are rich. They are just different.

I have been lurking around some of the other LG threads and read a couple of things that make me think, but not enough clarification get a concrete thought.

First, a poster wrote that all the 2014 60 inch LGs use the same panel, from the budget sets up to the higher dollar sets.

Second, I have been reading threads about people adjusting pots on the circuit boards to get some really good blacks on a lot of different LG models.

So here are a few questions that the above comments bring to mind concerning our 60PN5000.
Do all of the 2014 LG models use the same panel?
Can we get Samsung or better blacks on this model with no ill effects?
Does LG dial the blacks down depending on the model?
Is the $600 LG 60PN5000 a wolf in sheep's clothing?

I am more than happy with mine and if I had to live with it the way it is today, I would be completely satified with this TV. Mine is hanging on the wall right now and it would be a pain to get it down just to experiment on the black level adjustments.

What I am really trying to say is that I would like someone else to try this and report back, but if work slows down enough for me to get energetic, I will probably attempt it and then report back.

Any comments on any of the questions or observations that I made would be appreciated.

Last edited by SoonerTheBetter; 07-19-2014 at 07:27 AM.
post #394 of 395 Old 07-19-2014, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
After owning this set for 6 months now all I can say is the PQ is astounding. Not astounding for a $558 tv, but just plain astounding. I don't see how it could get any better than perfection. As I've said before, blacks aren't solid black, but from 9' away which is where I set, they look solid black. What more could you ask for. I really wish a photograph could do it justice but it can't.
post #395 of 395 Old 07-19-2014, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaptonsGhost View Post
After owning this set for 6 months now all I can say is the PQ is astounding. Not astounding for a $558 tv, but just plain astounding. I don't see how it could get any better than perfection. As I've said before, blacks aren't solid black, but from 9' away which is where I set, they look solid black. What more could you ask for. I really wish a photograph could do it justice but it can't.
I agree. I just told the wife last night how I am really happy with the set. No being anything close of a fanboy of LG, the set HAD to win me on it's own merits. I think the blacks could be better, but I see a lot of differences in them with different sources. I have been using kooter2.5 setting (or was it your last settings....crap!). Up until that point I would try other settings and found myself needing to play with it some more. The only problem I see is OCCASIONALLY, the images are too dark, primarily CBS evening programing. (I just have OTA & Roku).

I can't help but wonder if the thread about darker blacks could apply the the 5000; earlier posts in that thread didn't sound encouraging, but I still gots to wonder.....
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 60pn6500 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Lg Electronics Ln5300 39ln5300 39 Inch Led Lit 1080p 60hz Tv , Samsung Un55fh6030 55 Inch Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Ln5300 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page