LG 60PN5000 I need info to help decide whether to keep or not - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 397 Old 12-08-2013, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaCiurca View Post

Like Jeff is saying, pic is gonna only be as good as the weakest component. I need a blue ray player. What do you suggest Jeff for around $100?

Honestly, at that price there probably wont be a lot of difference between brands. I would stay clear of the no name brands but a 100 dollar player from one major brand to another is probably not going to be a big deal. There may be a hidden gem out there in the budgets players so it certainly does not hurt to do a little research. My Samsung BDP 2550 was one of those gems. I got it for 249.99 and it has terrific video processing on board. My next player will be an Oppo though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 397 Old 12-08-2013, 07:49 PM

Liked: 10

Jeff et al:

My wife found this LG5000 on walmart.com this weekend after we had purchased an LED Samsung 55" that isn't "looking right." We have never had a plasma.  A couple of quick questions for anyone that has insight:

1)  What kind of heat does this unit put off?  We are placing this above a direct vented fireplace that we rarely use.  They are separated by about 4 feet.  Not the ideal place for a TV but that's how the homebuiled designed it. Anyway, the BB sales guy said we might want to be careful due to the heat that this LG Plasma could put off. He suggested their Geek Squad calibration set up at approx. $250.

2)  Haven't set up yet, but am wondering about the unit's speakers.  We are looking at a sound bar to pair with this LG Plasma. Are looking at either a Samsung around $300 or a Yamaha at about the same. Can't do surround due to room design.

3)  How heavy is this unit, as this will be lifted about 5 feet off the ground to be put into a corner "hutch"?

4)  Lastly, we have a wall of window adjacent to this unit.  They will not reflect off the screen....but there are a bunch of can and pendant lights from our kitchen that might reflect.  How much will be reflected and how bothersome will this be, especially during the day?

Thanks all for your input.  We really want this to work as well as it is such a "good deal" but only if it "fits our needs."

post #33 of 397 Old 12-08-2013, 07:51 PM

Jeff et al:

My wife found this LG5000 on walmart.com this weekend after we had purchased an LED Samsung 55" that isn't "looking right." We have never had a plasma.  A couple of quick questions for anyone that has insight:

1)  What kind of heat does this unit put off?  We are placing this above a direct vented fireplace that we rarely use.  They are separated by about 4 feet.  Not the ideal place for a TV but that's how the homebuiled designed it. Anyway, the BB sales guy said we might want to be careful due to the heat that this LG Plasma could put off. He suggested their Geek Squad calibration set up at approx. $250.

2)  Haven't set up yet, but am wondering about the unit's speakers.  We are looking at a sound bar to pair with this LG Plasma. Are looking at either a Samsung around $300 or a Yamaha at about the same. Can't do surround due to room design.

3)  How heavy is this unit, as this will be lifted about 5 feet off the ground to be put into a corner "hutch"?

4)  Lastly, we have a wall of window adjacent to this unit.  They will not reflect off the screen....but there are a bunch of can and pendant lights from our kitchen that might reflect.  How much will be reflected and how bothersome will this be, especially during the day?

Thanks all for your input.  We really want this to work as well as it is such a "good deal" but only if it "fits our needs."

post #34 of 397 Old 12-10-2013, 06:05 PM

Jeff 

Do I need the  DTP-94 or can I use software and a laptop to make the setting that you used on the tv?

post #35 of 397 Old 12-11-2013, 05:39 AM

Liked: 11

Update after owning the unit for about 4 days.

For $648, nothing compares to it for screen size / picture quality / dollars spent that I can find.  I am very happy with it.  

If this is an actual complaint, the speakers aren't great, but most of us have audio units or at least a sound bar / sub.  <- that's my set up. 

I used to be more of an audiophile, had nice Klipsh floor speakers, but now live in a condo and they will never be able to be turned up anymore so I am just using a soundbar/sub.

If anyone finds this thread on the internet while googling the model number (how I wound up here) I say don't hesitate buying it.  

post #36 of 397 Old 12-11-2013, 09:00 AM

First of all I would like to say that I do not know much about TV's so I am on here looking for help. I have the option of keeping an lg 50" model number ln5100 that I bought from Walmart or getting this tv. The 50" is an LED and has many good reviews on walmarts website and I bought it for 448. This is the only place I could find any info on this TV so I am asking for opinions on which TV would you  guys keep. I am leaning towards the 60 inch because of the screen size but at the same time I have heard some bad things about plasmas. I appreciate any recommendations you guys make. Thanks in advance. 

post #37 of 397 Old 12-13-2013, 01:24 PM

What kind of meters are you using for calibration--and where could i get something like that?  i have a 60ST60 panny plasma and have followed calib settings from a few forum posts, but somehow i feel i can do better--just don't feel like spending $300 for a geek squad to do it for me.

post #38 of 397 Old 12-13-2013, 08:11 PM

Does this LG TV have a glass front???
post #39 of 397 Old 12-14-2013, 08:33 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkerz1005 View Post

Jeff 

Do I need the  DTP-94 or can I use software and a laptop to make the setting that you used on the tv?

No you just go into the tv picture menu and change the settings. You don't need anything to load mine or anyone's settings.
post #40 of 397 Old 12-14-2013, 11:29 AM

BUMP... glass front???biggrin.gif
post #41 of 397 Old 12-14-2013, 03:07 PM

I believe it's glass, very reflective and heavy.
post #42 of 397 Old 12-16-2013, 05:36 PM

I picked this up to replace a Samsung PN58B550 that met its end at the hands of a two year old with a hot wheel car.

This tv is thinner and lighter than the Samsung, it also doesn't seem to make that buzzing noise.

I don't think the reflections are too bad; not any worse than the Samsung. Mine is up high on a wall mount with a slight tilt looking down at the room which might prevent some of the reflections.

One thing that I find really annoying is that it doesn't save the picture ratio on a per channel basis like the Samsung did. So as I flip through the list I have to hit that ratio button for the 4:3 channes if I decide to stop on one; thin I continue to a 16:9 channel I have to hit it again... If anyone knows a way to enable per channel picture ratio I would love to hear it.

post #43 of 397 Old 12-17-2013, 02:36 PM

Liked: 14

Has anybody tried out gaming on this tv yet? Just wondering how the input lag is.

post #44 of 397 Old 12-18-2013, 09:31 PM

Liked: 12

Just picked up this TV tonight.  I'm pretty pleased with the quality of the picture overall.  I'm coming from a Panasonic GT25 50", so I noticed right away the black levels were not as good.  However, I feel that the picture has a great deal of clarity, with nice colors, and for the price is a great deal.  The reflections on this TV are noticeable, so that is one thing to keep in mind.  While I would love to own another Panasonic, the price is just too expensive for me at this time.

In answer to the gaming question - I tried out my Wii U on the TV earlier (for a short time) and noticed no lag whatsoever.  I kept looking back and forth between the screen on the Wii U tablet and the TV, and it looked the same.  I don't play shooters, however, so that would be another aspect of gaming to get info on.

I actually find game mode to be quite pleasing, but I am using expert 2 as of now, calibrated with the WOW Blu-ray.  I have expert 1 set with the settings that were posted earlier, but they just didn't look good on my tv.

So far, so good.  This TV is a good balance between performance and price.  I'll be viewing it during daylight hours tomorrow, so I'll try and give and update on that.  My room gets a moderate amount of light.  I'll be running the break-in slides this evening from the Panasonic thread.

post #45 of 397 Old 12-19-2013, 08:08 PM

bump on the gaming issue? I see it's about to go on sale again Sunday at walmart.

post #46 of 397 Old 12-19-2013, 11:50 PM

Hi, 

Thanks for all your post on this TV. 

I bought this to upgrade from an older Projection HDTV. 

I was able to get the set for just under $500 + local sales taxes. ($530.46) 

I was simply AMAZED with the picture of this set especially from blue-ray. I saw details that weren't even visible on the older set.

(I'm going to presume that was caused by 1080P vs 1080i of the older set.) 

I was also amazed how THIN this set is. WOW !!!!!!

Maybe its just wishful thinking but I swear this set looks better than anything else they had on the wall. 

Again... MUCH THANKS !!!!!!!!!  

post #47 of 397 Old 12-20-2013, 11:01 AM

Wow, where did you find it for this price? I just saw it listed in the Walmart ad today for $648. If you got this 60" TV for $500, that is one heck of a deal!!

(Ha, I like that I am a new member, even though I joined the forum 10 years ago)
post #48 of 397 Old 12-20-2013, 03:14 PM

Walmart is going to have it on sale starting Sunday. It will be $648 and then you get a $50 gift card

post #49 of 397 Old 12-20-2013, 03:15 PM

Alright guys I have a recommend me a tv question. (sorry). I was looking at getting this tv but I'm not quite sure of the quality of it. I'm also thinking about the Samsung 51" F5300. It's about the same price but is smaller. However, I'm guessing it's a little better quality though. Or should I stick with getting a 120hz led tv around the same size. I will be watching sports, movies and gaming on it. I do have 2 windows but I can close the blinds on them.

post #50 of 397 Old 12-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member

I've heard twice now in this thread that it has been picked up for $500, can somebody share how they did that?
post #51 of 397 Old 12-20-2013, 05:24 PM

Seen this TV rolled out on the floor in my local WM just last week. I already have a Samsung 6300 series LED ordered (smaller screen of coarse), but got notified it was back ordered. Chances are I won't see it until next year, as shipping is estimated between the 24-26 (yeah, right).

Anyways, today I got curious about this TV as I finally looked at it and seen the price. $650 for 60" from a reputable manufacturer? Seemed like a decent by to me, even though I was/am sure it was not made to the highest standards and is a basic TV.

I'm hesitant to buy as I sit roughly 8' from my current TV in my down stairs living room. Seems that may be too close for this TV, and I can't really sit much further back due to the dimensions of the room.

On top of this, it seems standard def. is nearly unbearable with the unit and while I have able with many High Def channels, there are a couple I watch that are but standard definition.  To make matters worse, the unit only has two HDMI inputs and I have three (3) devices that use HDMI. May soon have four (4) if I get a new gen gaming unit. Not thrilled about having to change the unit plugged into one of the HDMI ports all the time.

I too have noticed others claiming to have picked it up for $500 plus tax. If I could find it for that, I'd buy in a heartbeat.

post #52 of 397 Old 12-20-2013, 06:30 PM

Wow $500 60PN5000 60" plasma This is the best ive heard for a long time
I like to know where was it picked up and was it an openbox
post #53 of 397 Old 12-21-2013, 11:09 AM

Liked: 12

I contacted LG about a specs sheet for the PN5000, and here is the response I received:

"Thank you for contacting LG customer service!

I will be more that glad to assist you with this information.

In this case the model number that you have it’s a Wal-Mart special model number and that’s the reason why its not on the website, on the other hand the only difference in between that model and the PN5300 it that your model don’t have Picture wizard on the video menu.

I hope this information it’s helpful to you and happy holidays.!"

So, there you have it.  It is pretty much the PN5300 without picture wizard.

post #54 of 397 Old 12-21-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno2011 View Post

I contacted LG about a specs sheet for the PN5000, and here is the response I received:

"Thank you for contacting LG customer service!

I will be more that glad to assist you with this information.

In this case the model number that you have it’s a Wal-Mart special model number and that’s the reason why its not on the website, on the other hand the only difference in between that model and the PN5300 it that your model don’t have Picture wizard on the video menu.

I hope this information it’s helpful to you and happy holidays.!"

So, there you have it.  It is pretty much the PN5300 without picture wizard.

Well looks like it's time to look up reviews of the 5300 lol. I still can't decide between this or Sammy 51pnf5300 or vizio 50" led

post #55 of 397 Old 12-21-2013, 11:52 AM

AudioholicjeffL
Bought this last night, and did so based on your posts. Hooked it up and put in your settings, Wow, great picture
Have a Toshiba 48" plasma and plasma's I feel produce better colors and blacks than LCD/LED counter parts.
Thanks for your information it really makes this unit shine. 60" plasma for $650 and this good of a picture, can't be beat.
Thanks again.
post #56 of 397 Old 12-21-2013, 04:07 PM

Guess I'll pull the trigger on this TV tomorrow to take advantage of the gift card offer. Probably put it in the livig room downstairs or upstairs and then the Samsung, if/when it ever arrives in the other and move my  aging 32" into my bedroom. I'll try out the settings listed and see how it performs with cable, Blueray, Netflicks, and my PS3.

post #57 of 397 Old 12-21-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weigel21 View Post

Guess I'll pull the trigger on this TV tomorrow to take advantage of the gift card offer. Probably put it in the livig room downstairs or upstairs and then the Samsung, if/when it ever arrives in the other and move my  aging 32" into my bedroom. I'll try out the settings listed and see how it performs with cable, Blueray, Netflicks, and my PS3.

Thinking I will do the same. Still can't decide if I should get it or a Sammy 51F5300 or Vizio E500I-A0

post #58 of 397 Old 12-21-2013, 06:18 PM

Just purchased this TV. Would really appreciate your settings as I don't have a good way to calibrate myself.

Thanks and Merry Christmas
post #59 of 397 Old 12-21-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholicJeffL View Post

Ok here are my settings with a DTP 94 and ColorHCFR. I am not a pro but I think I have a pretty good handle on whats involved in a good calibration. Try these and if it looks good to you then you may want to also try my color management settings as well. It was pretty close though without even touching those. I am sure there are variances in sets but it should get you in the ballpark I would think. Let me know how it looks.

Mode Expert 1
Panel light 100
Contrast 75
Brightness 47
H Sharp 7
V sharp 7
Color 61
Tint R 2

Expert control
Dynamic contrast off
Color gamut BT709
Edge enhancer off
Color filter off
Gama 2.4
Temp warm 1
Method 2 points
pattern outer

Points High
Red -4
Green 25
Blue -3

Points Low
Red 0
Green 11
Blue 5

Options
Noise reduction off
MPEG reduction off
Black level low
Real cinema on with Sat box and it is grayed out with blueray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholicJeffL View Post

Ok here are my color management settings. All these have DeltaE less than 10 except magenta which was 15

Red, Blue and Cyan no change

Green
Sat 7
tint -29
Lum -13

Magenta
Sat -9
tint -3
Lum 25

Yellow
Sat -30
Tint -2
Lum 0

Here's what he posted earlier.

post #60 of 397 Old 12-22-2013, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

I picked one up this morning. For $648 and a $50 gift card, I don't see how you can beat that.... Especially for those of us with no Fry's or Microcenter in the immediate vicinity....

Really wanted a 70" but they are still >2x the price for a decent name-brand unit and don't see those dropping anywhere less than $1K anytime soon.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 60pn6500 60 Inch Plasma Hdtv , Lg Electronics Ln5300 39ln5300 39 Inch Led Lit 1080p 60hz Tv , Samsung Un55fh6030 55 Inch Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Ln5300 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page