AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Plasma Flat Panel Displays (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   LG 60PN5000 I need info to help decide whether to keep or not (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-plasma-flat-panel-displays/1502801-lg-60pn5000-i-need-info-help-decide-whether-keep-not.html)

bckey 11-30-2013 04:33 PM

I purchased an LG 60PN5000 plasma today at walmart for $648. I assumed it was an older version of the 5300 or something. I googled and looked here but there is zero info. I even called LG (India or Philipines} and they know nothing about this model and don't even know it exists. Even LG's website has nothing. It says on the box its full 1080p and 600 hz max. 2 hdmi and usb 2.0. Pretty much the same specs as the 5300. The manual even has the 5000 and 5300 listed like the 5000 is a lower end version because it is listed between the 4500 and the 5300. The manufacture date of my tv is November 2013 in Mexico. So it is definitely new. I worry LG may have put some junk together for the holidays to make a quick $. I don't know. I have a Samsung LED ready for pickup in case I find out this isn't any good. The main thing that concerns me is the complete lack of information. Anyone else buy one of these and does anyone have any information. I am in the process of mounting it so I haven't even seen a picture on it yet. There was no display at walmart. Thanks for any help.

tparria 11-30-2013 08:38 PM

I picked up the same TV from Walmart yesterday on sale for $500. I couldn't pass it up for that price but just like you, I googled to try to get some info and reviews on it and came up with nothing. I'm not too familiar with plasma TVs but I did get the picture to look pretty decent after messing with the settings a good bit. I'll give it a few days to see how I like it, if not then back to Walmart it goes. Let me know what you think about it once you get it all set up.

bckey 12-01-2013 05:02 AM

Picture on movies is outstanding. But... a lot of motion blur on sports so far. I still have the Samsung UN55FH6030 55-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D LED HDTV ready for pickup if I end up not liking this one. I really want this one to be a keeper.

audioholicJeffL 12-01-2013 06:25 AM

I picked up the 60" from Sams on Wed. Friday I sat down and did a full blown cal on it. I never owned a plasma so I was confused about a couple of the settings. I did find the panel light needs to be at 100% to get good gama and max contrast. It ended up calibrating amazing and the color management allowed to correct the colors. I have all except magenta with a deltaE under 10. and gray scale tracks almost perfect from 20-100 although I don't trust my DTP94 below 30 so I think its much better lower. It looks stunning. I would be glad to give anyone my settings if they wanted to plug them in and try it. For the 650 I spent I am not sure you could get a better picture in a 60"

eeee87 12-01-2013 07:02 AM

could you post your settings?

audioholicJeffL 12-01-2013 07:06 AM

Yes but not till late tonight EST. I work a 16hr shift and wont be home till around 11:30 pm. I will post my charts though. I have those with me. Maybe a pro can comment on my results.

audioholicJeffL 12-01-2013 07:46 AM

Here is what I ended up with. Maybe a pro can comment. My meter must not be too far off because once I was done the picture just looked amazingly natural. I put on my Planet Earth BluRay and it was like l was looking out a window. After a few hundred hours of various content I will re-check and see if it moved. So far I am very impressed.

bckey 12-01-2013 01:35 PM

Another thing that bothers me about the LG is the unbearable picture on standard definition. I need some settings to try or this thing may go back. The HD picture is awesome but I still see a little edge blur on stuff, not a lot though. I still have the Samsung 55" Class (54.6” Diag.) LED FH6030 Series TV ready for pickup at walmart that I paid $698 for. I will either cancel the order or take the LG back and get the Samsung. That's why I am desperate for some settings and info to help me decide. Time is working against the LG because I really have nothing to go on.

octava71 12-01-2013 01:55 PM

I to was considering purchasing this plasma, but the lack of info out there on it worries me. I also thought it was a lower end model to the 5300 but am afraid the quality picture won't be the same. Price is important but picture quality is more important which is the reason I was looking at this plasma. It would take a led that cost well over a grand to compete with the picture quality of a sub $1000 plasma. That being said YOU SHOULD definitely hook the tv up and check the picture quality BEFORE going through the trouble of mounting it. Keep us updated on the picture quality, but I think there's a sharp aquos led out there for cyber week that I might snag instead. If you're gonna go led I think the aquos is the way to go. I haven't read too many manufacturing issues with sharp as I have with Samsung and vizio.

audioholicJeffL 12-01-2013 09:52 PM

Ok here are my settings with a DTP 94 and ColorHCFR. I am not a pro but I think I have a pretty good handle on whats involved in a good calibration. Try these and if it looks good to you then you may want to also try my color management settings as well. It was pretty close though without even touching those. I am sure there are variances in sets but it should get you in the ballpark I would think. Let me know how it looks.

Mode Expert 1
Panel light 90
Contrast 75
Brightness 47
H Sharp 7
V sharp 7
Color 61
Tint R 2

Expert control
Dynamic contrast off
Color gamut BT709
Edge enhancer off
Color filter off
Gama 2.4
Temp warm 1
Method 2 points
pattern outer

Points High
Red -4
Green 25
Blue -3

Points Low
Red 0
Green 11
Blue 5

Options
Noise reduction off
MPEG reduction off
Black level low
Real cinema on with Sat box and it is grayed out with blueray.

eeee87 12-02-2013 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholicJeffL View Post

Ok here are my settings with a DTP 94 and ColorHCFR. I am not a pro but I think I have a pretty good handle on whats involved in a good calibration. Try these and if it looks good to you then you may want to also try my color management settings as well. It was pretty close though without even touching those. I am sure there are variances in sets but it should get you in the ballpark I would think. Let me know how it looks.

Mode Expert 1
Panel light 100
Contrast 75
Brightness 47
H Sharp 7
V sharp 7
Color 61
Tint R 2

Expert control
Dynamic contrast off
Color gamut BT709
Edge enhancer off
Color filter off
Gama 2.4
Temp warm 1
Method 2 points
pattern outer

Points High
Red -4
Green 25
Blue -3

Points Low
Red 0
Green 11
Blue 5

Options
Noise reduction off
MPEG reduction off
Black level low
Real cinema on with Sat box and it is grayed out with blueray.

did you post your color management settings already?

audioholicJeffL 12-02-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeee87 View Post

did you post your color management settings already?

No not yet. I will later today. Two sixteen hour shifts and two bourbons on the rocks and I was out. smile.gif The colors were very close before I messed with color management settings.

audioholicJeffL 12-02-2013 03:21 PM

Ok here are my color management settings. All these have DeltaE less than 10 except magenta which was 15

Red, Blue and Cyan no change

Green
Sat 7
tint -29
Lum -13

Magenta
Sat -9
tint -3
Lum 25

Yellow
Sat -30
Tint -2
Lum 0

bckey 12-02-2013 04:15 PM

I ended up taking my LG back. I couldn't get rid of the halo around everything and standard definition was awful. Add to that the complete lack of info and I was not willing to take the long term chance. I will say it had one of the best pictures in blueray that I have ever seen. This tv is a steal at $648 if it can be tweaked and turns out to be quality assembly and not some black Friday quick money maker. I really think its a quality tv but I just couldn't wait to find out more info.

audioholicJeffL 12-02-2013 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post

I ended up taking my LG back. I couldn't get rid of the halo around everything and standard definition was awful. Add to that the complete lack of info and I was not willing to take the long term chance. I will say it had one of the best pictures in blueray that I have ever seen. This tv is a steal at $648 if it can be tweaked and turns out to be quality assembly and not some black Friday quick money maker. I really think its a quality tv but I just couldn't wait to find out more info.

Oh too bad. I don't watch standard def tv at all so it would never be an issue. If someone wants me to watch their show they better broadcast in hd and formated correctly or I am not interested.

PapaCiurca 12-03-2013 07:13 AM

Thank you for the posting of the settings Jeff.  Picking up this unit, can't wait to calibrate.

yagrax 12-03-2013 11:59 AM

Bought this LG 60PN5000 sight unseen from Walmart.com last night and did store pickup locally. Box fit in the full size SUV, maybe would not fit a smaller SUV or a car.

Mine too was made in Mexico in November 2013. It's very thin, about 2" and somewhat heavy. Looks like the back is completely metal - maybe aluminum painted black? Very well put together. My LCD / LED around the house seem to moan and creek when moved due to the high plastic content of the case, this LG does not. LG is rock solid built.

Very very good picture out of the box. Better than any of the 4 LCD / LED I have at the house, and slightly better than my huge 73" Mits DLP.

Ran HDMI from Dish 722k to Sony receiver to the TV. 1080i coming out of the Dish and making it to the TV. Recorded MNF and wife and watched last half when we got back. No blur, high bright colors, see blades of grass, and wife commented on fabric of the players jerseys was clearly visible. Jon Gruden could also use more makeup she said!

Picture was amazing. Didn't have time to play with PS3, Xbox 360 or the PS3 bluray player for a movie, will tonight.

2 HDMI input (1 back 1 side), component inputs, analog RCA in, digital audio out, USB 2.0 port (pictures, etc), and a control port (for RS-232 control, see LG website for more).

No analog audio out (RCA, etc), no VGA in, no smart, no apps. $35 for Chromestick, $45 for Rocku, or $99 for AppleTV (my choice) makes dumb TV smart.

Came with 3 large ferrite tubes for reducing electromagnetic interference on the incoming power, hdmi, and or component cables. Those aren't cheap, Radio Shack sells them. I don't have them installed, but it's nice LG included them. Ive used them in car audio installations and they do make a small difference on clean signals from my experience.

User manual has the 60PN5000 all by itself in a column in the models covered listing, but lists the 4500, 6000, and other series TVs. The manual is very generic. No mention of TV on LG website. Generic manual on LG site lists the other models, but doesn't list this one. Might be way too new to list online.

Seems to be a software update for the other models, but this one was not listed. Supposedly updateable via USB stick in 10 mins.

Two things that I can ding the TV for:

1: HDMI CEC control between TV and Sony receiver - TV turns off Sony, but won't turn it back on when the TV is turned back on. Checked all the HDMI Control settings on Sony as well as the TV's SimpLink (on/off) settings to no avail.
Could be that my Sony receiver is 5-7 years old? Dunno. Will play around with it some more tonight with direct PS3, Xbox, and a spare BluRay player I have.

2: The screen is covered in a very shiny glass plate. It reflects like I've never seen. Kitchen lights reflecting off of it annoy me. LCD / LED and the Mits DLP don't really have this issue. It's got to do more with the glass screen on top of the plasma display than anything.

I'd recommend this in a low light room. It's going into our master sitting room, master suite is dark anyways.

-Yagrax

yagrax 12-03-2013 02:25 PM

I did not see the halo effect on mine. Was watching DVR of last half of last night's MNF game via Dish 722k to Sony Receiver to TV via HDMI at 1080i. Game looked perfect as well as the sports center animated graphics after the game where the SC zooms in an out. Also looked at 720p output from my AppleTV module via HDMI to Sony and then to TV - streaming music videos such as that new JT music video where he's on stage and on that sidewalk - looked great.

Gyella 12-05-2013 12:57 PM

I'm thinking about buying one of these to replace the Vizio AEE0i-Ao I bought. I can't stand the bleeding and clouding on the edgelit LEDs. Has anyone had a chance to play any games on this Plasma yet? I will primarily use it to watch sports and play PS3/PS4 and was wanting to hear from someone who owns one before making the trade.

Thanks!

LupeLazerz 12-06-2013 08:50 AM

Hey Jeff, Just purchased from WalMart today, and I love the slim frame and size of it. I tried you're settings but the seem a little dark and not very vivid, although it does look natural so I may keep them anyways, or keep it on the generic "Standard" settings option, also I was wondering is there any "break in" necessary for this TV or recommended?

Also does anybody know the size of screws that go into the back of this? My tv stand mount bolts are too big for this but did fit in my old Samsung plasma

thanks in advance!!

Ask0016 12-06-2013 05:55 PM

Since there is no Audio out from the TV and only Audio in, is there any way for me to be able to plug my existing surround sound into the TV?

joshua.jones 12-07-2013 09:38 AM

As this is just a basic display (not "Smart"), does it have 3D ability?
I don't really want the "Smart" option as everything else connected to my Onkyo 818 is already "Smart" but I would like the ability to watch a few 3D movies/games.

audioholicJeffL 12-07-2013 09:40 AM

Well vivid is not how you describe a calibrated display, but natural is. However, take any settings with a grain of salt because I am sure my set would not measure exactly as yours due to manufacturing variables and differences. It should be better than nothing though and at least somewhat close I would think.

audioholicJeffL 12-07-2013 09:41 AM

What is your existing surround setup? Normally you would route everything through your receiver first sending only video to your TV and letting your receiver/processor due all the audio decoding.

purpletexan 12-07-2013 10:41 AM

I was in WalMart yesterday set on getting the 55" Hisense LED, saw this TV and price, so came back home and found this forum.  Thanks everybody for posting, it was VERY helpful!  I ended up buying it last night and setting it up in my master bedroom which is a relative dark room with only one window, usually with blinds closed.  This is my first Plasma and I have to say, I think it looks great!  Getting too close to the TV you see the pixel flicker, but I suppose that is normal for a plasma.  When watching from the bed, I'm about 12 feet away from the screen and I think it's awesome.  I have yet to mess with any of the settings, I may try the settings Jeff posted here and play around to see what I can come up with, but honestly, it looks pretty bad ass out of the box.  Mine is also the "5000" model and I really don't care so long as the picture quality is top notch and so far, I think it is.  I was very skeptical buying this making sure I was clear on WalMart's 90 day return policy but I doubt I'll take it back.  $648 for a 60" tv with this good of a picture is hard to beat!   I've only had it for less than a day, but at this point, I wouldn't hesitate recommending this to somebody.  Great bang for the buck for sure!

dentman 12-08-2013 06:54 AM

Thanks everyone for the comments.  I bought this off walmart.com on tuesday and finally picked it up yesterday.  As others have mentioned, I 'want' this to be the right tv but i have my doubts.  I may be expecting too much from the plasma type of screen maybe some folks on here can lend a hand.  

Ill preface this by noting Im a pro photographer and spend countless hours a year behind calibrated Dell ultrasharps and so im kind of wonky around pixels LOL

At 10 feet or better picture appears to be great.  at 4 feet or less you can see tons of what i call blotchy areas... very very pixelated and the colors bleed over from one area to another.  fast action stuff makes me almost dizzy.  Is this a function of the refresh not keeping up? i thought the 600 hz sub field driving thats listed on the box to be the highest refresh ratio on the market which is why i bought it.  I dont care for the 3D look of alot of current tvs which is why i went for the plasma.  

I dont have fios routed to the room yet so Im viewing on apple tv (720i) and a dvd player.  the dvd player (1080i) looks horrible compared to the apple tv.  Is there such a thing as a "bad" dvd player? this one is a phillips and is probably 6-7 years old very plain jane.   

Im going to load audio jeff's calibration and see what happens.  Also the room the plasma in is kind of cold.  About 50-55 degrees.  Would this be a factor in the performance? thanks guys....

PapaCiurca 12-08-2013 07:12 AM

This is the second LG plasma i've bought. Have basically the same unit in 50". For the money,great picture quality vs price. Only complaint with plasma is the whites. Never really white enough. Only complaint with this unit is only 2hdmi and 1 component inputs.

Thanks for the calibration settings Jeff. Looks better and halos are gone.

audioholicJeffL 12-08-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaCiurca View Post

This is the second LG plasma i've bought. Have basically the same unit in 50". For the money,great picture quality vs price. Only complaint with plasma is the whites. Never really white enough. Only complaint with this unit is only 2hdmi and 1 component inputs.

Thanks for the calibration settings Jeff. Looks better and halos are gone.

Your welcome. smile.gif

audioholicJeffL 12-08-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentman View Post

Thanks everyone for the comments.  I bought this off walmart.com on tuesday and finally picked it up yesterday.  As others have mentioned, I 'want' this to be the right tv but i have my doubts.  I may be expecting too much from the plasma type of screen maybe some folks on here can lend a hand.  

Ill preface this by noting Im a pro photographer and spend countless hours a year behind calibrated Dell ultrasharps and so im kind of wonky around pixels LOL

At 10 feet or better picture appears to be great.  at 4 feet or less you can see tons of what i call blotchy areas... very very pixelated and the colors bleed over from one area to another.  fast action stuff makes me almost dizzy.  Is this a function of the refresh not keeping up? i thought the 600 hz sub field driving thats listed on the box to be the highest refresh ratio on the market which is why i bought it.  I dont care for the 3D look of alot of current tvs which is why i went for the plasma.  

I dont have fios routed to the room yet so Im viewing on apple tv (720i) and a dvd player.  the dvd player (1080i) looks horrible compared to the apple tv.  Is there such a thing as a "bad" dvd player? this one is a phillips and is probably 6-7 years old very plain jane.   

Im going to load audio jeff's calibration and see what happens.  Also the room the plasma in is kind of cold.  About 50-55 degrees.  Would this be a factor in the performance? thanks guys....

You need to see how it looks with a bluray player and a good bluray. Picture looks wonderful imho and amazing for the price to size ratio. With an up-scaling DVD player you are not even seeing real 1080i just up-converted 480p and yes not all DVD players are created equal and some look worse when up-converting. Just for fun set the DVD player to 480p and see what it looks like.

PapaCiurca 12-08-2013 03:00 PM

Like Jeff is saying, pic is gonna only be as good as the weakest component. I need a blue ray player. What do you suggest Jeff for around $100?