Panasonic st-60 disappointingly dim - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-30-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just picked up a Panasonic st-60 yesterday. I have a rather dark lit viewing area and figured that a plasma display wouldn't be affected by the ambient light. The documentation and reviews regarding this issue seem to support this assumption. After setting up the tv, I am rather disappointed that the display is so dim. Whites are light grey. I have attempted to adjust settings... The color levels are appropriate, the issue is simply a lack of light output. The dark spectrum is amazing, and the contrast is great, but it seems the television is greatly lacking fl output. I am wondering if there is an optimal setting to maximize light output. I read to put it on "vivid" (dynamic) viewing mode, but this is even dimmer than cinema or standard. I have turned off the C.A.T.S. Auto dimming feature. Any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time!

Tyler
Vic12345 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-01-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Tyler forget about standard that is a worthless mode designed so that the set can meet energy star guidelines. There is a second setting in the eco saver menu make sure that is set to "standard". Either the cinema mode or custom mode in the mid 80's should give you plenty of light output. A contrast of 82 in custom gives me 42ftl which is more than sufficient for my moderately lit room.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #3 of 17 Old 12-01-2013, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If you're coming from an LED, give it some time (after you've done as Chunon suggested).

post #4 of 17 Old 12-01-2013, 07:16 AM

Liked: 10
Anyone care to point us to the right direction or share all their settings for a bright room?

It doesn't have to be very color accurate. I'm very happy with my st60 purchase, it's just that sometimes I'd like to leave my windows open. Basically, I'm planning on having two settings. One color critical at custom/cinema and the other brightroom at home theater perhaps?

For now, I'll try to play around with Chunon's recommendation.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-01-2013, 09:33 AM

Liked: 12
Another thing to double check in either pro or advanced settings (I forget) is that you have black level set to light NOT dark.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuVR4 View Post

Just picked up a Panasonic st-60 yesterday. I have a rather dark lit viewing area and figured that a plasma display wouldn't be affected by the ambient light. The documentation and reviews regarding this issue seem to support this assumption. After setting up the tv, I am rather disappointed that the display is so dim. Whites are light grey. I have attempted to adjust settings... The color levels are appropriate, the issue is simply a lack of light output. The dark spectrum is amazing, and the contrast is great, but it seems the television is greatly lacking fl output. I am wondering if there is an optimal setting to maximize light output. I read to put it on "vivid" (dynamic) viewing mode, but this is even dimmer than cinema or standard. I have turned off the C.A.T.S. Auto dimming feature. Any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time!

Tyler

Thats very odd. Dynamic mode should've blinded you
sheshechic likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 12-04-2013, 03:36 AM

Liked: 10
Is there a calibration for vivid picture mode? The rest of the modes seem extremely dim. I like vivid but the colors seem to be off somehow.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-04-2013, 04:08 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'd give these settings a shot first and then go from there:

http://www.controlcal.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6914&postcount=2

I've seen it said that over time the panels will get a bit brighter. I don't know how much merit that holds, but to me it looks like my panel (60VT60) is a bit brighter now than the first week I spent with it.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-04-2013, 04:40 AM

Liked: 13
I just received my 55st60 yesterday as well. I've read for about the first 100 hours (1 month or so) you actually want a dimmer than usual setting, with mostly full screen content to help age the phosphors and prevent burn in.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk. Please excuse typos or brevity.
post #10 of 17 Old 12-05-2013, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Coming from the ST50, I can say the ST50 is much brighter and the whites on the ST50 were much better. I got rid of the ST50 because of the yellow glob issues.
post #11 of 17 Old 12-05-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post

Coming from the ST50, I can say the ST50 is much brighter and the whites on the ST50 were much better. I got rid of the ST50 because of the yellow glob issues.

So you're saying you're ST50 was brighter than the ST60? Interesting.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360 HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #12 of 17 Old 12-05-2013, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Changing ECO saver to standard seems to do the trick. That definitely help with the panel brightness. The ST60 has a lot more sub menus and options over the ST50. Now it's as bright as my ST50 and now I have to bring the contrast down at bit using D-nice settings. When I had eco mode set to saving I didn't notice much image retention, will have to see what kind of IR I will get it with it set to standard.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-13-2014, 10:31 PM

Liked: 11
Well,

I must be crazy then.

Today I played with the settings on a 55" and 50" st60 in the store for almost an hour, did all the above, and seriously, still looks dim to me. Certainly dimmer than my ST30. The only noticeable difference was the standard mode. Really dim, as usual.

Contrast on both sets were cranked up [ by the store] to 100% on all settings. Each set had about 3K hours on them.

Was disappointing, to say the least.

The S60 was even worse.

I know the color is stunning, but doesn't anyone else notice how dim the whites are?

tvaddicted
post #14 of 17 Old 01-14-2014, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvaddicted View Post

Well,

I must be crazy then.

Today I played with the settings on a 55" and 50" st60 in the store for almost an hour, did all the above, and seriously, still looks dim to me. Certainly dimmer than my ST30. The only noticeable difference was the standard mode. Really dim, as usual.

Contrast on both sets were cranked up [ by the store] to 100% on all settings. Each set had about 3K hours on them.

The S60 was even worse.

I know the color is stunning, but doesn't anyone else notice how dim the whites are?

Making those kind of judgements in a store is not a good way to evaluate a set. I had the ST30 and the ST60 leaves it in the dust in contrast ratio light output and purity of whites.
rushfan2112 likes this.

65VT60
55ST60
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
post #15 of 17 Old 01-14-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post

Making those kind of judgements in a store is not a good way to evaluate a set. I had the ST30 and the ST60 leaves it in the dust in contrast ratio light output and purity of whites.

I agree. The peak brightness measurements on both the S and ST 2013 models are higher then the 2011 and 2012 sets. The ST is the brightest of them all. If you are going to compare these TV's to most LCD's in a bright environment, like a big box store, you will be disappointed. Under controlled lighting conditions, none of these sets are too dim by most standards, however if your viewing habits require a brighter picture, look else ware.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #16 of 17 Old 01-14-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvaddicted View Post

Well,

I must be crazy then.

The S60 was even worse.

Did you try all modes and make changes beyond contrast and brightness? What was gamma set at?

When judging whites do you look for the whitest thing on the image or the largest? I try to see if there's something whiter than the white I'm thinking isn't correct. A full white screen, sadly, isn't as white as it probably should be, ie the end of apple commercials, but that's just the abl doing it's thing. I'd rather suffer that then the problems other tvs, past and present, have.

post #17 of 17 Old 01-14-2014, 12:53 PM

Liked: 35
i agree with chunon, how can you possibly judge a tv hanging up on a wall in the store? The ST60 we played around with in Sears was pretty crappy. Instead we researched and read reviews to decide our purchase.

We are completely happy that we bought this set. It is plenty bright in our living room with two wall lights and a ceiling fan with three more bulbs(total of 7 lights) and the most we do is to dim them, we never watch in a dark room. Too bright of a picture burns my eyes (I wear contacts).

In fact I have the contrast set just under 50 and the screen is fine for the both of us. Of course I realize everyone has their own preferences wink.gif

An "Analog Kid" in a digital world
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc P60st60 60 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread - P60st60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page