Old 01-12-2014, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman00 View Post

No problem at all Scott... Let me know what you think. I've experimented with Sharpness 0 and use Screen Full, Pixel Orbiter ON. Those are my preferences over what they have ...everything else is the same.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-592352/panasonic-tc-p60vt60-picture-settings/

Thank you. I will let you know what I think.
Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2014, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post

) and ( there are no "correct" settings. What is "correct" for me is what looks best to me. quote])

This thread is about deciding whether or not someone wants to do a pro-level calibration and whether or not break-in is a legitimate concept for plasma TVs. I don't know how better to explain it.

Well there are correct settings. If you observe something with your eyes in the world, the image should look as close as possible to that same observation. If I watch my TV in Vivid or Dynamic becaue it "looks good to me" it does not make it correct if everyone on TV looks like they had a few too many drinks at a bar. My statement obviously ignores lighting effects and the individual brightness one TV set to another. You can use equipment to get a TV the closest possible to a set standard.

You can have preferred settings, for sure. I would agree calibration is not for everyone. I think the dwindling popularity of an accurate picture is clear evidence of that.

Way before I found this forum I always felt Panasonic, Pioneer and Sony TVs were the best. I was a cable tech 2006 to 2009 and I went from house to house and have seen many HDTVs. I used to think Samsung was hit or miss and Westinghouse is the worst TV in America. biggrin.gif I think I was in the minority as mega bright unnatural Samsung LEDs are probably the most commonly sold TVs.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
Old 01-13-2014, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

To further explain myself...

Point 1 -- By "before" and "after" I do not mean how it looks on the screen. I am referring to how your display and picture mode's greyscale and color tracking naturally align. To measure this, you need measurement equipment. For example, here are the greyscale tracking of 7 different ST60s prior to being calibrated by a professional. Plugging post-calibration settings from any one of these TVs will certainly change how your own TV looks, but it won't necessarily be "fixed," it will only look different than before. And when you try multiple settings, you are just trying multiple random number sets to see if anything seems to look better. If that's what you want to do, that's perfectly fine. Just understand what you are doing and the science behind it.

You may notice something going very wrong, such as appearing very red, indicating that you may have started with a very red picture and are using settings that are correcting a lack of red, for example. But other than that, you're just randomizing numbers until they look good. That can be fine, if you're talking changing up gamma 2.4~2.2, or changing contrast/brightness. But when you get into the gamma IRE for brightness and R/G/B balance it's all random unless you are measuring it with something.

Additionally, unless you matched up your two picture mode settings to look the same prior to inputting all of the new settings, there are likely inherent differences built into your Pro 2 and preferred mode. If you did this beforehand, great.

Point 2 -- Whatever you want to do is perfectly fine. But your comment proves the point that it takes time to get used to how an accurate picture should look. You can cycle between the Cools, Neutral and Warms, and depending on which way you go, the previous setting will look too blue or yellow.

And my point about watching and judging neutral material that doesn't have color bias, such as the skin tone and fruit/nature pictures on the Disney WOW disc is exactly because that material is neutral. When you watch any TV show or movie, it has been touched up and color corrected in some way. The color palette between CSI Miami and Mad Men and Law and Order is very different. Every different section or part of LOTR has a different color hue. You even get color differences due to cameras and lighting between Leno, Letterman, Kimmel, and Fallon. Even different sporting events because of natural vs indoor/night lighting, cameras, etc. So it is very hard to look at any of those and separate your display being too much "something" from the nuances of the source material. You said that after 2 hours the settings (particularly the Warm 2) started to seem yellowish. That could very well be the source material you are watching, combined with the random detailed picture settings you are using that could be pushing the picture more yellow.

If you only care about how something looks without caring what is correct or accurate, and without bothering to give yourself time to adjust to accurate color temp, etc., it makes me wonder why in the world you are bothering with plugging in other people's settings into your TV. In that case, why not use a test disc like Disney WOW to set the settings on your own to look pleasing to your own eyes?

What you do is up to you, but remember you're on the AV Science forums and what that actually means. Don't call your thread "calibration" if you have no intention of calibrating (measuring properly and setting the to correct picture settings for an accurate picture). What you're doing is tweaking the picture to something specific that you like, purposely going away from an accurate picture.

I wanted to compliment you on the above response. It was one of about three on here, in three months time, that really brought a new understanding. Thanks....Also, I started a Part II to the Break In and Calibration thread in which I refer to your concept above. Scott

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
Old 05-08-2014, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
NOOBIE here - will be turning on my new 65" 8500 on this Sunday......want to avoid IR etc......many say don't have News, ESPN etc. on for 100-200 hours, it seems they are anyway, is this an absolute? I am used to watching the daily\world news daily and a lot of Sports too. Do I have to give them up for that amount or what?

Also - what about these "Break In Slides" - where are they, how do you run them? Are they built into the set ? Hope so! What programs etc. can you run all night that won't have things that might burn in?

TKS michael;)
Old 05-08-2014, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberized View Post

NOOBIE here - will be turning on my new 65" 8500 on this Sunday......want to avoid IR etc......many say don't have News, ESPN etc. on for 100-200 hours, it seems they are anyway, is this an absolute? I am used to watching the daily\world news daily and a lot of Sports too. Do I have to give them up for that amount or what?

Also - what about these "Break In Slides" - where are they, how do you run them? Are they built into the set ? Hope so! What programs etc. can you run all night that won't have things that might burn in?

TKS michael;)

Michael, congrats on your new set.
The answers to both of your questions are easy to find here and in the VT55-65 threads.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
Old 05-08-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 451
The sports and news channels with their bold logos and ticker tapes bars are probably the worst.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Finally someone else who reads other website . i learned alot about grayscale and calibration .

to what the directors inteded is how i would like to watch their movie . so to me calibration is good as in the tv looks better then out of box settings.

as far as breaking in the slides ; i dont believe you need to do tha either BUT what i do believe is getting the right amount of pixels for given display , 1080p is 2 mil pixels is needed to fil the whole screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

30+ posts and no one has suggested looking here?:
http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10457
I've had a blast over the years between ColorHCFR (for video) and REW (for audio), and it's made this a most interesting hobby.
In which you may have no interest, but the option is there (as is much help elsewhere on this forum).
Michael

Pioneer Elite PRO-111
Samsung 60PnF5300 af
panasonic px75u

XBL x117x831
PS4 gusx831

Tags
Panasonic Tc P55vt60 55 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv
Gear in this thread