Samsung PN51F5300 – What a little gem! - i1Pro Calibration results inside - Page 10 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Plasma Flat Panel Displays > Samsung PN51F5300 – What a little gem! - i1Pro Calibration results inside

Plasma Flat Panel Displays

afterlife2's Avatar afterlife2
02:21 PM Liked: 27
post #271 of 1387
03-21-2014 | Posts: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikwasi View Post

Update on my sick PN51F5300AFXZA:

I just spoke with Atomic Tech, the agency that handles Samsung warranty service for my region. They think I probably have a faulty panel (US01), so they're ordering a replacement panel to send along on the service call. That will delay service until Wednesday but at least the technician should be prepared if the panel is, indeed, a lemon.

Mine is AFXZA . US01 manufactured October, 2013 Got mine in Dec from B&H Photo.
Nikwasi's Avatar Nikwasi
02:51 PM Liked: 89
post #272 of 1387
03-21-2014 | Posts: 467

That reminds me, afterlife, it was my understanding the service man would bring along a replacement panel in case one was needed. Apparently it was my misunderstanding. The tech said parts are ordered strictly on an "as needed" basis and usually take around a week to ship.

Maybe it doesn't matter anyway - my cable service went out just after my last post. This might be karma's way of telling me to go fishing, which ain't a bad idea.

03:07 PM Liked: 27
post #273 of 1387
03-21-2014 | Posts: 304
Quote:

That reminds me, afterlife, it was my understanding the service man would bring along a replacement panel in case one was needed. Apparently it was my misunderstanding. The tech said parts are ordered strictly on an "as needed" basis and usually take around a week to ship.

Maybe it doesn't matter anyway - my cable service went out just after my last post. This might be karma's way of telling me to go fishing, which ain't a bad idea.

Man I hope you get it fixed quick. I've been using the color slides every now and then. Maybe you hooked up something new or the HDMI was not in correctly? Did they say what caused it? I registered with Samsung for 3 more months of warranty for free.
Nikwasi's Avatar Nikwasi
03:21 PM Liked: 89
post #274 of 1387
03-21-2014 | Posts: 467

The technician didn't venture a guess as to what caused it, but it didn't have anything to do with connections because I tried every possible option, HDMI and otherwise. I couldn't even view the menu screen so that, too, rules out connection issues. Service dude didn't even check my connection ports or cables, or fiddle with adjustments, just took one look at the display and pronounced the panel dead. I'm thankful now that I bought extended warranty through Square Trade so I'm covered until 2017.

10:15 AM Liked: 27
post #275 of 1387
03-22-2014 | Posts: 304
Good luck man. Hope it pans out good. Where did you buy it? I got 1 yr warranty to go on mine. Hopefully it will last.
Nikwasi's Avatar Nikwasi
11:05 AM Liked: 89
post #276 of 1387
03-22-2014 | Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

Good luck man. Hope it pans out good. Where did you buy it? I got 1 yr warranty to go on mine. Hopefully it will last.

Mine came from H.H. Gregg, but I'm strictly under Samsung's warranty for the first year. Square Trade picks up two more years after the manufacturer's warranty expires.

Keizer's Avatar Keizer
10:41 AM Liked: 11
post #277 of 1387
03-24-2014 | Posts: 325
I just bought this Samsung plasma 51" yesterday at Best Buy. I originally bought a Seiki 46" on post for $329.00 and no sales tax. But, it was an impulse buy with no research beforehand. After reading bad reviews and looking at the horrible warranty reviews, I decided to return the Seiki and get this Samsung. I'm glad I did because the picture is awesome with the OP's settings. Plus I got an additional three months added to my warranty for registering.

I noticed my TV has the 1026 firmware out of the box. Samsung told me unless I'm having issues, then don't update to the 1027 firmware. I haven't noticed any problems, but I have only watched one movie with it so far. Time will tell.
Broadus's Avatar Broadus
11:07 AM Liked: 29
post #278 of 1387
03-24-2014 | Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keizer View Post

I just bought this Samsung plasma 51" yesterday at Best Buy. I originally bought a Seiki 46" on post for $329.00 and no sales tax. But, it was an impulse buy with no research beforehand. After reading bad reviews and looking at the horrible warranty reviews, I decided to return the Seiki and get this Samsung. I'm glad I did because the picture is awesome with the OP's settings. Plus I got an additional three months added to my warranty for registering.

I noticed my TV has the 1026 firmware out of the box. Samsung told me unless I'm having issues, then don't update to the 1027 firmware. I haven't noticed any problems, but I have only watched one movie with it so far. Time will tell.

Congratulations on your new Samsung. If you haven't seen it, this is a common-sense perspective on breaking in a new plasma TV. The bottom line, according to Geoffrey Morrison at CNET, is this:

Quote:

The truth is, unless you plan on doing something abnormal with your TV right as you get it, you don't need to do anything special to break in a plasma. Just watch the thing. That's it. Watching regular content will age the TV perfectly well, and after 100 or 200 hours, the TV should be "broken in" plenty enough that you shouldn't have to think anything else about other than how awesome it is.

What constitutes "abnormal?" Well, only watching 2.35:1 movies, only 4:3 TV shows, or only playing one video game would do it. In each of these cases, you're not using the entire screen equally. The black bars on 2.35:1 movies (top and bottom) and 4:3 TV shows (sides) aren't using those black phosphors. So the center image will burn in at a different rate, i.e. it will become slightly dimmer than where the black bars were. The trick? Don't watch only one aspect ratio. Yep, that simple. Watch some full-screen HD. Watch a DVD. Worst case, stretch out that TV or movie so it fills the screen (oh, the horror, I know). And again, this is just for the first month or so.

Keizer's Avatar Keizer
12:09 PM Liked: 11
post #279 of 1387
03-24-2014 | Posts: 325
I have now watched two movies through netflix......no issues at all. Love the picture. I will make sure that all material I watch fills the screen.....like netflix does.
Matt*S.'s Avatar Matt*S.
06:49 PM Liked: 10
post #280 of 1387
03-25-2014 | Posts: 24
I found the 60" model of this at my local Best Buy for $799. Is that a good price for this tv? Do you guys think I could do better for the same money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Broadus's Avatar Broadus
06:54 PM Liked: 29
post #281 of 1387
03-25-2014 | Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt*S. View Post

I found the 60" model of this at my local Best Buy for $799. Is that a good price for this tv? Do you guys think I could do better for the same money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure where you'll find better picture quality for a 60" television at $799.

Nikwasi's Avatar Nikwasi
07:29 PM Liked: 89
post #282 of 1387
03-25-2014 | Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt*S. View Post

That's a decent price. Sam's Club just cut their price on the PN60F5350 (same TV) by $100, bringing the total to around $780 + tax. Since Samsung controls prices from authorized dealers, I think it's likely that other sellers will offer sales on the 60" and possibly the 51" in the very near future.

And no, I don't think you can get better picture quality for the money.

Matt*S.'s Avatar Matt*S.
03:23 AM Liked: 10
post #283 of 1387
03-26-2014 | Posts: 24
Thank you very much. That was my gut feeling, but sometimes it helps to get other people's opinions who aren't so engrossed in the situation.

Looks like I'll be picking one up this weekend.
Plasma5300's Avatar Plasma5300
10:00 AM Liked: 18
post #284 of 1387
03-27-2014 | Posts: 224
It seems like im getting judder while watching netflix on ps4. Are any of you guys seeing judder? I mean its not horrible but its there. Is that normal? Maybe from the source?
Commander-Keen's Avatar Commander-Keen
06:22 PM Liked: 11
post #285 of 1387
03-27-2014 | Posts: 18
Received my 60" earlier today,connected everything and set the calibration on the 1st postin here.
And it does look like a mirror when there's any bit of sun\light coming in so I didn't play a lot with it this afternoon.
Tested out my old consoles(snes,N64),disappointed that there's not even a S-Video connection. Looks meh,had some kind of jitter on the top screen going on with the SNES. That's where I'll miss my old CRT frown.gif

Sun is down,so I hooked up my laptop and tested it out with an emulator and it did look pretty good!
Will get more chance to test it out with several movies\blu-ray this weekend,I'm excited! biggrin.gif
Lion Rider's Avatar Lion Rider
01:53 PM Liked: 20
post #286 of 1387
03-31-2014 | Posts: 99
@Stereomandan
Have you tried to calibrate this set in Movie Mode. The reason I ask is it seems majority of calibrators use that mode to do Samsungs.
Also have a question about the 2 point white balance, I know you need a meter for this but am more intrested in actually understanding what the offsets and gains do. Appreciate all help.
gus738's Avatar gus738
03:20 PM Liked: 26
post #287 of 1387
04-01-2014 | Posts: 2,819
yeah stereoman i would appreciate movie mode calibration as well.
08:12 AM Liked: 27
post #288 of 1387
04-03-2014 | Posts: 304
Anybody get a no signal once in a while where the signal is said to be really good? SNR is 28.43 to 30.53 db on my signal. Been happening on channel 2(OTA) in NY alot lately. I hope they resolve it with a firmware if we ever get one. Besides that the TV has been great.
guitarpete987's Avatar guitarpete987
10:30 AM Liked: 12
post #289 of 1387
04-03-2014 | Posts: 36
I just purchased one of these sets for $650 at Best Buy after having recently returned a Panasonic TC-P50U50 I picked up in February at a local H.E.B. Plus on clearance.

Good thing H.E.B. Plus has a 90-day return policy, because although I loved the gorgeous picture and deeeeeeep blacks of the Panny set I absolutely could NOT live with the vertical banding all across the panel, which I've come to learn was an epidemic with the 2012 Panny plasma lines across all models.

That said, the PN51F5300 is absolutely free of any screen artifacts, thank goodness. And while the blacks are not quite as deep -- and I have to admit that after owning only Panasonic plasmas over the years since my first in 2002 I was skeptical about going with another brand -- this set has just as rich and accurate a picture as I could really hope for. The blacks are still within what I would consider acceptable, and the glare seems even less than the 50U50 I returned.

I've been looking at the calibration settings here, and I think I've got my set dialed in right where I want it.

Kudos to Samsung for making a great budget set (with a mortgage, wife, and two kids to consider, my home theater budget is not what I'd hope for even though I've got very discerning tastes). It's just a shame that we're seeing plasma fade away, because it's still the best picture out there.

I tried considering LED and I just could NOT find a set that looked as good as plasma, even approaching the $2000 range! OLED is comparable to plasma in my eyes, but it's still also way out of my budget.
Nikwasi's Avatar Nikwasi
11:21 AM Liked: 89
post #290 of 1387
04-03-2014 | Posts: 467

Following is a succinct account of my service experience with Samsung thus far, subjective commentary withheld.

Jan. 17:  PN51F5300AFXZA put into service, looks great;

Mar. 16:  Set tanks while playing blu ray (photos posted in this thread), Samsung warranty service contacted;

Mar. 21:  Service tech makes house call, pronounces panel (US01) dead;

Mar. 25:  Service agency informs me that panel is backordered, Samsung has no estimated date of delivery;

Mar. 27:  Service agency indicates that Samsung can supply "alternate" panel, no further details available. I call Samsung to request a replacement set;

Mar. 28:  After several phone conversations, Samsung rep acknowledges that replacement panels are temporarily unavailable and agrees to file exchange request;

Mar. 29:  I receive email confirmation and tracking number of exchange request, no timeline given;

Mar. 31 - Apr. 2:  Four calls to Samsung service go unreturned, no update on exchange request, still no timeline;

Today, Apr. 3:  Email confirms that exchange request has been approved, no estimate of delivery date.

11:32 AM Liked: 27
post #291 of 1387
Quote:

Following is a succinct account of my service experience with Samsung thus far, subjective commentary withheld.

Jan. 17:  PN51F5300AFXZA put into service, looks great;

Mar. 16:  Set tanks while playing blu ray (photos posted in this thread), Samsung warranty service contacted;
Mar. 21:  Service tech makes house call, pronounces panel (US01) dead;
Mar. 25:  Service agency informs me that panel is backordered, Samsung has no estimated date of delivery;
Mar. 27:  Service agency indicates that Samsung can supply "alternate" panel, no further details available. I call Samsung to request a replacement set;
Mar. 28:  After several phone conversations, Samsung rep acknowledges that replacement panels are temporarily unavailable and agrees to file exchange request;
Mar. 29:  I receive email confirmation and tracking number of exchange request, no timeline given;
Mar. 31 - Apr. 2:  Four calls to Samsung service go unreturned, no update on exchange request, still no timeline;
Today, Apr. 3:  Email confirms that replacement request has been approved, no estimate of delivery date.

Man that sucks. Why don't they just send you a new one? Or are they sending you another newer model? Are they all sold out on the 5300?
Nikwasi's Avatar Nikwasi
11:45 AM Liked: 89
post #292 of 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterlife2 View Post

Man that sucks. Why don't they just send you a new one? Or are they sending you another newer model? Are they all sold out on the 5300?

Exchange means they're sending me another set, and I assume it will be a new 51F5300. Of course I'll settle for an 8500 or a 64" 5300 if Samsung can't supply original equipment. Fat chance. My chief frustration, aside from the 3 weeks of down time, is the lack of communication on Samsung's part. I'd feel a lot better if I knew when to expect a replacement set. I've already missed most of the NCAA tournament and I seriously doubt a truck will pull up with a new TV tomorrow.

guitarpete987's Avatar guitarpete987
12:27 PM Liked: 12
post #293 of 1387
04-03-2014 | Posts: 36
Quote:

Exchange means they're sending me another set, and I assume it will be a new 51F5300. Of course I'll settle for an 8500 or a 64" 5300 if Samsung can't supply original equipment. Fat chance. My chief frustration, aside from the 3 weeks of down time, is the lack of communication on Samsung's part. I'd feel a lot better if I knew when to expect a replacement set. I've already missed most of the NCAA tournament and I seriously doubt a truck will pull up with a new TV tomorrow.

I've dealt with Samsung service before for an LCD TV. They left me hanging for 5 weeks one time then suddenly a newer model TV showed up. So they aren't the best but serviceable. Panasonic, though, was always great. One of my plasmas developed a power supply issue and they even granted me a loaner TV.
12:57 PM Liked: 27
post #294 of 1387
Quote:

Man I hope they resolve this quick. I'd be on their ass everyday. I have patience, but that's a long time to wait. I'd ask for a loaner if I were you.
Nikwasi's Avatar Nikwasi
12:58 PM Liked: 89
post #295 of 1387

Well what do you know ... I just got an update from Samsung:

"Your unit has arrived at the processing facility. Your exchange process has begun."

09:31 AM Liked: 27
post #296 of 1387
04-04-2014 | Posts: 304
Quote:

Well what do you know ... I just got an update from Samsung:

"Your unit has arrived at the processing facility. Your exchange process has begun."

WTF?eek.gif
Nikwasi's Avatar Nikwasi
10:45 AM Liked: 89
post #297 of 1387
04-04-2014 | Posts: 467

So this morning I get a call from the service agency that had been handling my repair order. Yesterday, they received a replacement panel for my set (which had been on backorder) but the repair order from Samsung has been cancelled because I am now approved for a new set. They have no choice but to return the panel, since the repair order has been nixed. Meanwhile, I still have no word from Samsung as to when my replacement set might be delivered.

Holy Crikey!

Broadus's Avatar Broadus
11:26 AM Liked: 29
post #298 of 1387
04-04-2014 | Posts: 128
Quote:

So this morning I get a call from the service agency that had been handling my repair order. Yesterday, they received a replacement panel for my set (which had been on backorder) but the repair order from Samsung has been cancelled because I am now approved for a new set. They have no choice but to return the panel, since the repair order has been nixed. Meanwhile, I still have no word from Samsung as to when my replacement set might be delivered.

Holy Crikey!

"The Twist and Turns of Samsung Customer Service"

Nikwasi's Avatar Nikwasi
11:35 AM Liked: 89
post #299 of 1387
04-04-2014 | Posts: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadus View Post

"The Twist and Turns of Samsung Customer Service"

Given this level of inefficiency, it's no wonder they can't take care of their customers in a timely manner.

Broadus's Avatar Broadus
11:37 AM Liked: 29
post #300 of 1387
04-04-2014 | Posts: 128

I'm glad that their products are typically better than this display of customer service. Otherwise, they would have been out of business before we knew they existed.

Tags: Samsung Pn51f5300 51 Inch Plasma Hdtv

Gear in this thread - Pn51f5300 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Subscribe to this Thread